very basic - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

View merc's Photo Album My Photos
very basic

okay this sounds stupid but....
When I start a new Sketch, I get a blank sheet with 3 axis on it.
Ablue vertical line, a green line on an upward angle, and a red line on a downward angle. The lines intersect and continue in a dotted fashion. This causes 3 sections on the right with the solid lines and 4 sections with the dotted lines.

Where exactly, in which section do I start my drawing?
When I twist my drawing to see it from the opposite side I see that I drew stuff on a different plane (actually a different planet-but that's besides the point)
Very hard to put into words typing. I will try to draw it again and post a picture. (probably like my car when you tell the mechanic the noise it's making and and when he has it it is all good)
Be right back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-21-2010, 01:34 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Merc, The "view" indicated by your discription is the "iso" view (isometric). Sketchup opens each new drawing with the view, style and other specific modeling preferences chosen by the user as the "default template" which can be selected by the user from a list of standard templates provided by the program ...or...the user may create new templates according to what type of model the user wishes to create during the current project.

My suggestion to you, based on your question, is to familierise yourself with the "views" selections (as shown in the image below) "iso, top, front, right, back, left" . When you select one of the views you will notice that the "axis lines" change according to the view you select. This tells you at a glance what each view is in relation to the other views. Also you will notice that in the top left hand corner of the modeling area each plane view is noted with the words "top, front, right, back or left, as the case may be.

very basic-3d-drawing-space-su-medium-.jpg

SU uses inferences to select certain portions or a model to aid in the modeling process and with out know how the program chooses these inferences and model geometry it can be difficult to get the program to do what you want without changing the view.

SO...if you wish to draw the bottom of a box it helps if you begin the drawing in the "top view" (until you learn other SU functions)
The term top view would indicate the user is looking at the model from the top. Likewise the "front" view indicates the user is viewing the model or modeling area from the front.

Some users may try to tell you the orientation doesn't really matter once the model is begun and indeed you may even choose to hide the axis entirely, however, as you progress in your modeling abilities you will find that modeling orientation in the proper way will determine how the model relates to other geometry and other functions within the program...like materials orientation, interface with component creation, interface with scripts for creating cutlists for woodworking and scenes for presentations.

A good source of info on the use of SU is
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewforum.php?f=262
post #3 of 5 Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Three points define a plane, a point and a line define a plane, and two lines define a plane - are basic Euclidean axioms used in plane geometry. Using the axiom two lines define a plane, we will create two 3D models of the X, Y and Z axis of the Cartesian system - one with a sheet of paper and the second with our right hand.
1st model
Take out a sheet of paper and thin wooden pencil. Now place a point in the middle of the paper and label it O for origin. Now draw a line from the origin point in the direction to your right and label it X. (Red line in SU) Now draw a second line from the origin point perpendicular to the first line in the forward direction and label it Y. (Green line in SU) With these two perpendicular lines, the first plane of the Cartesian system called "the plane" is made. The term "the plane" always refers to the X, Y plane or ground plane that is normal to the pull of gravity. Now finish the representation by piercing your paper from the back side at the origin with the point of your pencil pointing upwards from the front surface of the paper normal to "the plane". (Blue line in SU) Please be careful - but look at the paper with the point of the pencil pointing toward you so it looks like the image to the left. In drafting, this is called the default view or unless otherwise noted the top down or "plan view" of "the plane". You might think of this view as a map or a layout of the ground plane with you in the center. This is the creator orientation or "God Orientation". Place this model in your left hand and create the second model.

2nd model
Now, hang your right hand downward with hand open and your fingers pointing toward the ground plane. Next, rotate your wrist so that the palm of your hand is facing in the forward direction. Bend your right arm at your elbow 90 degrees so that the palm of your hand is now facing upwards. Your right hand and your thumb should be pointing in the positive direction of the X axis (Red line in SU) or movement to the right and your index finger is pointing in the positive Y axis or pointing forward. (Green line in SU) Now, bend the third finger upward. It is now pointing in the Z axis. (Blue line in SU) Rotate the right arm at the elbow so your right hand is directly in front of you just level with your elbow and keeping your right hand as shown in the image. In 3D design, this is "the view", "the artists view" or in drafting "the three quarter view". "The view" is the normal viewing of real objects that is the most common view experienced by people. It is a view of an object from a natural body position for normal people. Now move and rotate the paper model to a position that is the same orientation as your right hand. This is the "Right Hand Rule".

The above 3D models, one with paper and pencil and the other with the right hand, are anthropomorphic based orientation for 3D modeling and viewing - that is most efficient for humans. In fact, if you do not use this view, you probably will not be able to model in 3D. This orientation is called "the right hand rule" with the normal natural orientation of Z up (Zup). However Zup is the not the natural orientation for some people like programmers. They work visually in a virtual world of a computer screen where the forward movement of the mouse in the real world is transferred to an upward movement of the mouse cursor. So the natural orientation for them is Y up (Yup). The difference in orientation between the Yup people and the Zup people causes conflict. Orientation confusion in the real world where gravity is a serious matter can lead to serious mistakes.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-21-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
Please be advised that when you click upon each of the "ISO" drawing views that Mics circled in red on his toolbar picture... the colored lines don't actually change directions. They 'look' like they do, but they don't. Not really. They always stay the same in relation to their orientation in the 'real' world. (BTW, only one of those VIEWS is the true 'ISO' view... but you will often hear this part of the toolbar referred as the "ISO" view section.) It's no big deal, one way or the other right now.... just know that those little houses show you different angled views of your drawing.

Blue always indicates "straight up" (as you would go if climbing a ladder)

Red always indicates the direction ("along the ground", is a good enough way to envision it for right now) off to the right of your drawing.

Green always indicates 90 degrees from the Red line. (as though you were watching your bowling ball run down the bowling lane)

The reason they 'appear" to change directions is because as you click on each successive "ISO" view, YOUR eyeballing position in the drawing is placed in a new and different location. Sometimes you're looking at the drawing from one side... other times, from the front... or from one corner... or from straight above the drawing like a bird would see your creation.

Or you can even rotate around to look up from directly beneath the object you drew.. as a mole would see your house if it could see through the dirt. (Careful... from this particular position, (and some of the others, too) it COULD become very confusing to figure out which way is up in your drawing) And THAT is the very point of the different colored lines.

Learn which direction each of those three colors represents, and you will never get lost in your drawing. The colored lines will point the way.

NOTE: These lines are also used for some other "drawing stuff". And there is a PURPLE line that will show up from time to time. But you need not worry about any of this right now. You'll learn that stuff as you progress.

HERE'S A HINT FOR THE FUTURE: As you get into the drawing fun, there will come times when you will find yourself truly "lost" inside some closeup view. You moved in so close that you are actually 'looking' at a tiny 64th of an inch, and nothing you do seems to move your view enough to determine exactly what you are seeing or where you are.

It is at this frustrating time that you can simply reach over with your mouse, and click on one of those 'ISO' views that you are comfortable with, and it will instantly position you outside your drawing in a location that you can understand. From there, you can move back into the drawing with a clearer head.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-21-2010 at 05:20 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Please be advised that when you click upon each of the "ISO" drawing views that Mics circled in red on his toolbar picture
Only one of the views is called the "ISO" view (as you stated elsewhere). It is commonly used by default on opening new files because it's the easiest to recognise for the user. If you hover your curser over each view icon the program will tell you what it is. (if the function isn't disabled)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode