Using Web Version of Sketchup - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quickstep

post #1 of 8 Old 12-26-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Using Web Version of Sketchup

I’m trying the free web based version of Sketchup for the first time.

I’m not seeing any of the icons on the web version that are shown in instructional videos.

All I’m really trying to do is switch to 2D mode.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
I don't use it but which browser are you using? Do you have any spam/malware/anti-virus software that may be blocking these? How about how your JavaScript setting are set? Sometimes these settings can (and do) block things like this on other sites so maybe check these first.

David

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel and Instagram
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23
post #3 of 8 Old 12-26-2019, 05:37 PM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Download the 2017 version that is not a online version. It kept bombing with me on the online version. It will say it will expire but it doesn't expire.

I played with it for a month or so. I found for myself after I had taken the time to draw it all up and get it just perfect I had exhausted my desire to do it in reality. GRIN!

At 60 my ability to remember and learn new stuff is not as fast as it once was. HA! Yet I can still do it. I just forget it too fast as I am not using it every month so I spend as much time relearning it over and over again.

It's good stuff. I just don't use it enough to validate the expense of it. It would be different if I used it weekly. Just don't have that need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-26-2019, 08:18 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
I installed the free 2017 standalone version of Sketchup, but don't use it much. It will run on your home computer without the internet, which is what I wanted. In general, I prefer standalone, locally run copies of the software I use. Here are a few lessons I learned from the free standalone 2017 version of Sketchup:

* The 2017 standalone version is not easy to find for downloads. I just looked, and it appears that you must create an account just to see the download links. I do NOT recommend download copies from any source other than the official Sketchup website. Other copies may contain adware or malware or worse. (When I downloaded it, I did not have to create an account.)

* The 2017 standalone version still tries very hard to get you to use the online version. Every time you start it up, the default is the online version.

* The 2017 standalone version starts out as a full version. You must wait 30 days until the trial period expires, then it automatically reverts to the free version, which lacks some of the "pro" features.

* The 2017 standalone version cannot always read files created by newer versions of Sketchup, including the online version. Someone recently posted a Sketchup file here on WoodworkingTalk, and I could not read it with my standalone version.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks you guys. Downloading the 2017 version has helped immensely. I'm still lost, but at least I've got a better starting point.
Tool Agnostic likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Mark Jones Ozark

View Mark Jones Ozark's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup is a great program. The online version just kept hanging up on me and glitching. Click and wait is no way to sketchup something. I work for a large corporation that has all it's stuff in the cloud. I used to go out on 13 jobs each day and fix their issue. Today with all the online (big data) if I average 4 jobs a day it's unusual and a big chunck of that time is waiting for the servers and cloud to update the relational datafiles to post...……......………………………………......…………………………………………… ……………………..... still waiting...…………………...………………......…………………...…...stil l waiting...…………………………………. Sketchup was doing the same thing and I axed it after a few hours. Then after doing some looking around found the 2017 version. It works well on my laptop. Just wished I used it often enough to remember how to use it. In the past I have bought 5 or 6 drafting programs. Sketchup was the best of those but can't justify the expense of it. A few projects a year doesn't warrant the updates and yearly expenses of the software. If I was using it every week I would buy it.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 09:18 PM

View rexracer707's Photo Album My Photos
I've been using the online version, and had the hanging issues, when you guys downloaded the 2017 standalone version which one are you referring to? I see a few different 2017 downloads, like pro and make.

Hit Hard, hit fast and hit often -Admiral Halsey-
post #8 of 8 Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexracer707 View Post
I've been using the online version, and had the hanging issues, when you guys downloaded the 2017 standalone version which one are you referring to? I see a few different 2017 downloads, like pro and make.
These are the files I downloaded in February 2019:

Windows: sketchupmake-2017-2-2555-90782-en-x64.exe
Mac: sketchupmake-2017-3-116-90851-en.dmg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode