5Likes
  • 1 Post By gmercer_48083
  • 1 Post By woodumind
  • 2 Post By Mikhail2400
  • 1 Post By ChappyEight

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

View woodumind's Photo Album My Photos
Is sketchup right for me?

Hey all. I have read a little bit about the sketchup app on here and other places. I am very new to woodworking. My focus is going to be pretty specific within the hobby. I am basically building drawer systems of varying sizes and layouts for trucks, vans and SUVs. Would an app like this be of use to me? Or should I just get my basic design figured out and use the trusty pencil and paper to make modifications when necessary? I appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
How computer literate are you? If you struggle with setting up new programs then this is not for you.

George
post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Let me put it this way. I am extremely new to woodworking. I have built a few things here and there but I am by no means a skilled woodworker. I have an idea that I want to bring to life but my drawing skills with a pencil are bad at best. Will taking the time to learn this program and its functions aid me in becoming better at designing and completing a quality project? Now, I do understand that my project will only be as good as I build it and the woodworking side of this will take some practice and learning as well. I guess my mindset is if I can get a better design that I can visualize I will have a better chance of building what is in my minds eye.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I just realized I didn't answer your question. I am fairly computer literate. I can figure out stuff pretty easily but I have never used a program like this before. If there is a chance this program will actually be an aid to me I will take the time to learn it and use whatever resources I can find to do so.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
I found that learning to use Sketchup was well worth the effort. I find that I can take a concept (idea), and no matter how detailed...and put it together to see the final product. By doing this it allows me to correct/alter the plan easily, and to see the product in its final form in 3 dimensions. I just used it to create a cabinet that to me I thought would work for its purpose...but found it would not. So now it's back to creating something new...that will work for me. It has saved me from ultimately making something I didn't want. You may find (in the beginning) that there is a lot to learn with this program...but start with learning the basics, with no project in mind in order to get a handle on how the program works, and then progress into your drawing your projects from there. There is plenty of help and videos online to help you, and you can download completed projects directly into Sketchup from their warehouse.
woodumind likes this.

Gary
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I think I will give it a try and see what happens. I am in no rush to get the project done so taking some time to sit down and play with this program may be just what I need to ensure what I'm trying to do is worthwhile. I appreciate the advise. Now if you have any pointers I am all ears.
gmercer_48083 likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup is well worth the effort but it is a skill that has to be learned. Its a skill Im just beginning to learn but like any thing the more you put into it the more you will get out of it. Good luck.
gmercer_48083 and woodumind like this.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 12:25 PM
Green but learning...

View ChappyEight's Photo Album My Photos
Think of SketchUp as literally a digital sketching tool. As an architect, I use it almost daily as a quick way to get digital "sketches" for clients. I just used it for the first time to help with a table design I want to build. So, for reference, the basic images here took me roughly 2 hours to create. That included the drawing and figuring time (I changed things on the fly as I noticed trouble spots while building it digitally).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diningTable_top.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	373909  

Name:	diningTable_ex-top.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	373911  

Name:	diningTable_ex-base.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	373913  

Name:	diningTable_base.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	373915  

Name:	diningTable_assembledDims.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	373917  

Name:	diningTable_assembled.jpg
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	373919  

woodumind likes this.

Chappy

Architect professionally, golfer wannabe, theologian by grace, woodworker by... well... nothing yet.
Romans 3:23
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2019, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

ChappyEight, that is really cool. I like the was its blown apart so you can see the different angles and parts. I feel like this will help me a lot in seeing my many many mistakes.Thank you for sharing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode