Sketchup of my shop setup. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup of my shop setup.

I have been using Sketchup to help me design my workshop layout. Thought you might be interested to see what I came up with.

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Absolutely brilliant. I really must download SU.
johnep
post #3 of 17 Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Chester's Gorilla

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
I wish that were my shop. Looks nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-15-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

It's coming along to that end, but I am not there yet. And please excuse the mess but this is a work in progress... And yes the Sketchup plans are just that, plans. My shop is slowly but surely migrating to that format. Anyway, this should help show folks just what Sketchup is good for...

The tool stacker is done, but on the wrong wall for now.

The drilling station is more or less done. I still need to finish up with the mobile base and dust collection though.

It is hard to tell by this pic, but the table saw, work bench, shop vac, and 20 gallon Thien cyclone are in their proper positions. The extension wing table for the saw is on, but not finished (Need to add router insert, and miter slot for router).

One of the 2 24" deep x 36" wide plastic shelving units is in place.

It's not a completely current photo, but I have the HF DC fitted with a Wynn filter, plumbed to a Thien cyclone separator in the back corner. The shop vac and 20 gallon Thien cyclone separator have been moved since this pic was taken, and this weekend should see the DC stand finished, and installed.

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #5 of 17 Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM

View wfahey's Photo Album My Photos
Dust Collection

I've noticed some people run the dust collection system over the ceiling, others midway up a wall and still others, like yourself, along the floor. Is there a design reason for any of this or is a personal preference and simplicity comes into play? I understand you introduce a tripping hazard on the floor but that would be my preference for the table saw and router table as I have those positioned near the garage door opening and overhead won't work there. I have a single large door and not 2 doors like you do.

Love the layout of your shop though.

Bill
San Antonio, TX
post #6 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

The DC plumbing across the floor, crosses only in one area, and yes it is a trip hazzard. Which is why I am not completely sold on that idea, HOWEVER... I do like the fact that you don't have to lift the dust and shavings up to the ceiling, then across, to go back down... I think with down gravity should help you, but going up is a pain. Not to mention the whole hoses in the way of moving material across the top of the saw thing...

post #7 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Nice shop, I have a question about SU I cant down load drawing to anything , not Email or to the forum , and when i save it I can't open it unless I go back into SU and then back to my doc's and then to SU
stuff befor I can open it. Is it something I'm not doing ?????

Steve M.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
What are you EXPORTing your drawings as?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
SU opens .SKP files. You may (should be able to) attach an .skp file to email or upload .skp to this forum if you have met the forum requirements. Or you can export the .skp as an image file (.jpg) and you can email those or post the images on here. You can do that two different ways... screen capture or from SU export.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM

I have been trying to sand them as a doc. file from my files I am not very good on these things . But I will try to understand what you said Mics.

Steve M.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Old School

Here's the way it works.

This particular forum happens to allow uploading of very small SKP (SketchUp) files. Most do not allow that at all.

But no one can see them here if they do not have SketchUp on their computer to open those SKP files.

You can also email SKP files directly to someone who has SketchUp on their computer. They can open them. Others cannot.

Otherwise, You need to use the EXPORT function in sketchUp (under <FILE>) to EXPORT a single 'view' of your model (drawing) to a directory on your own computer. (Use "2-D Graphic")

SketchUp will EXPORT in a variety of file formats that many computers can handle.

Once EXPORTed, you can upload those files from your directory to most forums that will accept the type and size file you created when you did the EXPORT thing.

You can also attach those EXPORTed files directly into an email.

PS I use the PNG file format most of the time....... the shop drawings at the top of this post are JPG files. Both will show up here just fine.

Last edited by Willie T; 01-22-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 05:21 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
That's fantastic SketchUp work ... how long did that take you? I can't imagine being able to do that in less than many hours. Did you get all the tool images from somewhere already predrawn or did you have to do it ALL yourself?

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #13 of 17 Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Thanks Willie Iwill try it in the next couple of days. if I can get my old computer to do all that , I had to load quick time to view the help files,

Steve M.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-05-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinds View Post
That's fantastic SketchUp work ... how long did that take you? I can't imagine being able to do that in less than many hours. Did you get all the tool images from somewhere already predrawn or did you have to do it ALL yourself?

Paul
I started out with a lot of already done models, but many of them are models I built from scratch. Not a single one is unmodified though with the exception of the toolbox. I have gotten as close as I can to accurate within reason. A couple of the models are mere placeholders, the planer and jointer for example are merely ROUGH approximations. The extension table and router insert though are size, shape, and even finish appropriate, or awfully close...

It's a lot of spare moments here and there, but it added up to a lot of time, but no worse than laying out out on paper, and a LOT easier than laying it out in person and moving everything around 10 or so times before I got happy with the layout...

post #15 of 17 Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 PM

View seawolf21's Photo Album My Photos
Sketch up gives me a headache!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I have been using Sketchup to help me design my workshop layout. Thought you might be interested to see what I came up with.

You must be a genius! I can spend hours trying to figure out this program.
Gary
post #16 of 17 Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM

View Jason's Photo Album My Photos
Wow. That's all i can keep saying. I just started in Sketchup and of course my thing was to do a shop layout. Looks no where near as nice as this and I spent many hours. But just like everything else, the more I practice, the better I will get. I hope you loaded those tools you made as components so the rest of us can use them!
post #17 of 17 Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Old School

Hang in there, Jason. You'll be able to do a drawing like that one in about an hour in a few weeks or a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode