Sketchup Free version vs Sketchup Make? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 02-29-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

View ORBlackFZ1's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup Free version vs Sketchup Make?

I have been using Sketchup (free version) for years on my desktop computer. (Windows XP, Google SketchUp version 8.0.11752)

I am taking a class in design and thought I could download Sketchup (free version) on my laptop for class.

Silly me...I can't seem to find the Sketchup (free version) download page. I started here:

http://www.sketchup.com/download

Step 1: selected the Personal Projects option. Now the screen says "SketchUp Make"

Step 2: selected Woodworking and Windows list options, entered my email address and check the agreement box.

Click the Download SketchUp Make button.

The computer does the download and installation.

When I click on the desktop SketchUp 2016 icon, The screen reads SketchUp Make and has a button for "Start Learning SketchUp" and "Buy SketchUp Pro"

Below those buttons, I selected the Woodworking Template and found a "Start using SketchUp button" to click.

When I view the Help, License dialog box, I read:
Licensed to: "SketchUp Make 2016 User, Pro Trial"
Expires: "March 28, 2016"

I thought SketchUp was free to use. Has it been changed since I downloaded version 8?

I don't want to start designing projects with a version that is going to expire in 30 days.

Does anyone know the answer? Did I download the wrong version? (If so, where is the free version download?)

Thanks for your help in advance.
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-29-2016, 08:35 AM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
It is my understanding that "Sketch Up Make" is the free version that anyone can download for noncommercial purposes, which allows you to model anything, for free forever. "Sketch Up Pro" is the full featured professional version that includes features for architects, construction pros, and other design pros that need to exchange files with other software. If you have downloaded Make, you have eight hours to use/try Pro with the extra features. After that time Pro stuff stops, but you still have Make forever. If you decide you need Pro, you just have to buy the license. Be safe.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-29-2016, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchux View Post
It is my understanding that "Sketch Up Make" is the free version that anyone can download for noncommercial purposes, which allows you to model anything, for free forever. "Sketch Up Pro" is the full featured professional version that includes features for architects, construction pros, and other design pros that need to exchange files with other software. If you have downloaded Make, you have eight hours to use/try Pro with the extra features. After that time Pro stuff stops, but you still have Make forever. If you decide you need Pro, you just have to buy the license. Be safe.
Thanks for your response. A couple hours after I downloaded, I got an email answering my questions.

" Welcome to SketchUp! Welcome aboard! For the next 30 days, you’ll have access to all the features of SketchUp Pro. After that, you can absolutely continue working in SketchUp Make for free!"

It would have been nice to have that information before I downloaded. I wouldn't have been confused.

It looks like the "SketchUp" name has been changed to "SketchUp Make". I would assume that Trimble Navigation Limited believes that changing the name makes a better product ......

Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to ORBlackFZ1 For This Useful Post:
woodchux (03-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-29-2016, 01:35 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Pencil, paper, ruler, dual power calculator.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-01-2016, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineknot_86 View Post
Pencil, paper, ruler, dual power calculator.
May I ask, how this post helps me with my problem?

Ain't technology grand........when it works.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-01-2016, 05:48 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Should have explained my reply. Saves time and frustration with a computer program. I tried Sketch Up and found, to me, it was more trouble than what it was worth. I did upgrade from the slide rule to the calculator.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-01-2016, 04:36 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Side note to Pineknot 86 - IMO, the individual chooses the drawing/design system that satisfies most of their illustration needs. Be safe.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I have to kind of agree. I tried Sketchup too and found myself going right back to pencil and paper which really did work for far longer than anything ever done with computers. Amazingly pencil and paper still work although I have to admit that you don't have to keep hunting around for a pencil sharpener and erraser with the computer.
I still like holding a newspaper in my hands in the morning even though the local paper here must be written in kindergarten class where the writers majored in yellow journalism.
Good luck with your Sketchup endeavors.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-31-2016, 07:33 AM

View UglySign's Photo Album My Photos
Hollywood Squares, I'll agree. It's been a pita everytime I sat down with it to see that I've wasted more time figuring it all out. Been on Coreldraw since v3 and with customized workspaces/shortcut keys it's tough to work with sketchup. It is nice program though, but just dont have the time to learn it better. 2D is fine for my needs.

Anyone use Coreldraw for your designs?

Oh yea, pencil & paper work just as well.

What really sucks is the distraction of having the puter in the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I have to kind of agree. I tried Sketchup too and found myself going right back to pencil and paper which really did work ...
The Following User Says Thank You to UglySign For This Useful Post:
dennygm (06-09-2016)
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Wood machinist

View difalkner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySign View Post
Hollywood Squares, I'll agree. It's been a pita everytime I sat down with it to see that I've wasted more time figuring it all out. Been on Coreldraw since v3 and with customized workspaces/shortcut keys it's tough to work with sketchup. It is nice program though, but just dont have the time to learn it better. 2D is fine for my needs.

Anyone use Coreldraw for your designs?

Oh yea, pencil & paper work just as well.

What really sucks is the distraction of having the puter in the shop.
I've been using CorelDraw since version 2, bought v3, v4, v5, v8 - great software. I'm on v10 now and waiting for X8 to come out so I can buy a discounted copy of X7.

David

Curly Wood Shop on Etsy
David Falkner - Woodworking YouTube channel
Our music at church - current videos Airline Baptist BC Facebook Live
Romans 3:23

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode