Sketchlist - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchlist

I know this is a "sketchup forum but has anyone tried "sketchlist" from Rockler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
hmmm. Well I haven't used Sketchlist so I went to their website and looked at some videos and read a few articles and a few reviews.

One thing about the software which I find lacking is the fact that there is absolutely no forum support. There might be a forum somewhere but it certainly isnt linked to the sketchlist website.

If you buy Sketchlist, and you hit a bump in the learning curve road...and trust me, you will....you will probably love the fact that you have to call sketchlist support or send them an email and then wait for the response.

or...you could post a question here in sketchup forum and wait for a wonderful and free answer from a sketchupper

Think I'll stay with SU. SU has a great support forum and a huge base of programmers and artists from a multitude of interests. Its an open source ruby programming language which makes it adaptable to specific requirements and expansion. btw there are cabinet plugins that do exactly what sketchlist does.

BTW i was reading the FAQ on the sketchlist website and some one asked "can I import sketchup files into Sketchlist?" The answer was really informative and explanitary.. the answer was "no". I suppose I could have given the same answer.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 11:48 AM

oh...and..guessing your other questions that you didn't ask...I think the software is well worth the 200 dollars.

but...if you found sketchup too difficult to use or lacking in some fuction that caused your woodworking experience to suffer in some manner...I doubt Sketchlist is going to change that.

Except...you'll be 200 dollars poorer
The Following User Says Thank You to mics_54 For This Useful Post:
Bob Willing (11-15-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Although not woodworking specific, I have been using a product called Alibre for a few years now. I have used many 3D CAD programs over the years in my job as a mechanical design engineer, so have a good understanding of how to use them. I go turned on to Alibre as an inexpensive alternative to the very expensive programs I used at work (i.e. Catia, Unigraphics, SolidWorks, etc). Plus, they have a very active user forum - http://forum.alibre.com/

The Personal Edition of Alibre used to be $100, but they are now charging $200...which I think is a good bargain given what all it will do. I am currently using Alibre to design a kitchen island. Anyway, take a look and see if it might suit your needs - http://www.alibre.com/

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
post #5 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 12:15 PM

the Alibre "hobby" version will not create a BoM and the machine requirements are pretty stiff (2-4 gigs of ram etc)

For my purposes...drawing something or creating a model and then confidently cutting the pieces from a list generated by the software, is the point, the whole point and nothing but the point....even for the hobbiest.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Cat Herder

View ChiknNutz's Photo Album My Photos
Didn't know that about the latest version. When I bought mine, it had BOM capability and those features have been carried forward for me and other users that bought along the way. They do this with the license key they issue you. The BOM must now be in a different version. In any case, if it doesn't work for you then there you go.

Chris A.
Live a life worth celebrating!

Ridgid R4221 12" CMS, R4330 Planer | Bosch MRC23EVSK Router, 1591EVSL Jigsaw, PB360S Power Box | JDS Air-Tech HP air cleaner | Grizzly 14" bandsaw (Laguna LT14 clone), G1023RL tablesaw | Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust Collector | Festool Rotex 150/5 FEQ, CT 36 E, ETS EC125/3, TS75, Domino XL | Incra "Works" LS25 router table
post #7 of 7 Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 PM

Maybe it does..I'm not sure but it appears that one must upgrade to the pro version to get a automatic OR manual BoM according to the version comparison charts. Im not sure how much the pro version costs.

I just recently donated 20 dollars for Steve Racz's cutlist/layout plugin for SketchUp. It doesnt work perfectly but it works well enough for me to extract the information I need. It's a work in progress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode