Newby Needing Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

View OlGriz's Photo Album My Photos
Newby Needing Help

SketchUp IS cool! I'm in my 4th day of learning (though I've been an acad user for years, so that helps). Anyway, the attached drawing is supposed to be a drawer box. I already lowered the front and back walls by 1.5", but for some reason (that I've mystically hidden from myself), I can't do the same with the sidewalls. The whole thing is a group, made up of 5 components.

Can someone show me where I've gone wrong and how to fix it (preferably without starting over from scratch . . . . . . again).

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: skp problem drawer.skp (74.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by OlGriz; 02-16-2018 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add attached file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Cannot see your pic.
johnep
post #3 of 5 Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

View OlGriz's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm. I attached a SU file, not a picture, so folks could play with it. I went to my post, downloaded the attached file and opened in SU just fine. If that doesn't work for you, I don't understand what the problem might be. Sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlGriz View Post
Hmmm. I attached a SU file, not a picture, so folks could play with it. I went to my post, downloaded the attached file and opened in SU just fine. If that doesn't work for you, I don't understand what the problem might be. Sorry.
A picture would be nice. I'm not willing to download a file just to see what you posted.

"Dreams are stronger than poison and seize more firmly than disease, once captured one can not escape. It's a real curse, but for adventurers who are dedicated to it, body and soul, people without dreams are more frightening than death" (Made in Abyss). The Twenty Seventeen anime of the year, it definitely deserves that award. It's a show you don't expect to throw you off as much as it does. It may be Moe but it's certainly not lighthearted, just the opposite.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Joel / Junior Member

View GreyhoundGuy's Photo Album My Photos
I downloaded and did a quick work around.

I exploded the group to make each piece editable. I found that your front, back, left side, and bottom pieces were all groups by themselves (which is what I'd do, too). The right side wasn't grouped, though, so I grouped those pieces before doing anything else.

I then moved the front, back, and bottom out of the way. Next, I selected the left side and chose the scale option. To have it match the height of the sides, I had to scale by 0.666666% (3" divided by 4.5" to find proper scale).

The problem with this option, though, is that it also scales the size of the cutout / groove where the bottom of the drawer slides in on the sides. (Not sure what the technical woodworking term ... sorry.) It lessens that groove height by 0.6666%. In order to have this not happen, you'll need to adjust the sides height prior to cutting out that groove. (To see the problem, move the front of the drawer out of the way and then zoom in on the groove for the bottom of the drawer. You'll see the overlap where the bottom and the side come together.)

Not sure if this is exactly what you need, but I'm hoping this helps.

-Joel
Attached Files
File Type: skp ScaleBy0pt666666.skp (70.5 KB, 58 views)

Save an Athlete! Adopt a Greyhound!!

Last edited by GreyhoundGuy; 03-17-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode