My 1st Sketchup project - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
My 1st Sketchup project

Decided to learn Sketchup so that I can get an idea of what my next project will look like. I still have a lot to learn, but I think Iím getting the hang of it. I installed Sketchup on a cheap ASUS Eee laptop and it does not work. Lines are all over the place and there are patches of colors running together so it was a real disappointment.

Anyway this is what I drew:

JohnnyB
Iím a die hard DIY guy. Donít tell me to hire someone for what I can do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
for a 1st drawing, that is OK! keep it up and before you know it, you'll be able to get around easily.

one thing i've noticed is that on a low powered computer, setting the face style to "shaded" instead of "shaded with textures" improves things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Curl For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (05-24-2013)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
for a 1st drawing, that is OK! keep it up and before you know it, you'll be able to get around easily.

one thing i've noticed is that on a low powered computer, setting the face style to "shaded" instead of "shaded with textures" improves things.
'Shadedí, Oh! Well thatís a new term that I didnít know about. Iíll have to check it out, Thanks Chris.

There is so much to learn in this program. When I first opened Sketchup there was a guy on my screen and I had a heck of a time figuring out how to get rid of him. He was falling apart piece by piece until I found ďSelect AllĒ and deleted everything. LOL

I hope I can get it to work on my small laptop, because I have a lot of projects to draw up and a lot of dead time at work.

Yesterday I was sent to a remote site to let the phone company in to troubleshoot a problem. It would have been great to have Sketchup working because it took them 4 hrs to fix the problem and I didnít have anything else to do, so I spent the whole time cleaning and you can only mop the floor so many times. LOL

JohnnyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Paul

View Paulespo's Photo Album My Photos
Better than I

I tried Sketch up and did not like it at all. By the time it takes to get something draw in it I could have a detail blueprint and the thing made.
Working on a tangent and getting rid of the lines just takes too long. I can even design in Corel draw and put in detention's faster.
Well it's not for me.

Plunder First Than Burn
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Oh my god, I have come so far since this thread. Iíve just kept at it and now itís like second nature. Once in a while I get stuck and just back off for a while and then start up again.
I have a lot of projects at work that I send out to metal fabricators to build and I use to draw up what I wanted by hand on notebook paper. Now I can whip out very accurate detailed drawings in 3D perspective which makes it so much easier to communicate my thoughts.

JohnnyB
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeper For This Useful Post:
Willie T (10-19-2013)
post #6 of 9 Old 10-04-2013, 10:11 PM

View Arlaghan's Photo Album My Photos
What I find useful about Sketchup is the ability to make components. You can make a post, turn it into a component, and then just copy and paste. I wish my tablesaw could "copy and paste".

Another cool feature is that you can right click on a component, and get information on it: Like how many appear in your model. I like to make an entire copy of my model, disassemble the pieces and lay them out on 4x8 "plywood" panels (or boards or whatever) to get a cut diagram from it. Because if do that at cut time, I will inevitably waste materials.

-Alex
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arlaghan For This Useful Post:
Sleeper (10-04-2013), Willie T (10-19-2013)
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM

View skp3dconst's Photo Album My Photos
post #8 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 01:14 AM

View djblancett's Photo Album My Photos
Sleeper, I just happened to be browsing this forum and saw your SketchUp drawing. it looks nifty, but pardon my ignorance...What is it?
Dave
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2014, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblancett View Post
Sleeper, I just happened to be browsing this forum and saw your SketchUp drawing. it looks nifty, but pardon my ignorance...What is it?
Dave
It’s an Outdoor Cat House LOL.

I don’t allow my cat’s to run free outside because of coyotes and cat hating neighbors who poison them. So I have a cat door from an upstairs window with a wire enclosed cat run across my patio roof that wraps around underneath the cover for the full length of my patio.

This drawing is of an enclosed outdoor play house hanging from my patio roof with access to the cat walk at the top. It has a cat litter box at the very bottom that I can access from the patio, but is high enough off the ground to prevent rats & raccoons from entering.

I made a few changes like enclosing the litter box to prevent wind and rain from blowing into the litter box. I also added an access door on the bottom to remove a cat if need be.

JohnnyB

Last edited by Sleeper; 03-24-2014 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode