Making an easily adjustable model? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Techsniffer
  • 1 Post By allpurpose

post #1 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Making an easily adjustable model?

Maybe it's just me, but the most tedious part of modeling is adjusting the dimensions of a project to visualize different sizes.

Picture a bookcase and wanting to see how it would look if you made it three inches wider. To do this, you move one of the sides out. Then lengthen each shelf, the top and bottom, and any trim components. And if you had an adjacent bookcase, you would have to shorten that one accordingly the same way.

I work in GIS professionally, and we have a concept called "topography" where for example if you make a parking lot smaller, then the adjacent landscaping is automatically expanded.

Is there something comparable in Sketchup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 09:47 AM

View Techsniffer's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not familiar with how to do this (or even if this will do what you want) but I did some digging and I may have found a few answers(ish)

Here and Here

Scaling Help

Excerpt:
In SketchUp, you can resize and reshape your model based on the relative sizes of your edges and faces. Here's a quick overview of the available options:

Scale your entire model with the Tape Measure tool.
Resize entities while maintaining their proportions with either the Tape Measure tool or the Scale tool.
Stretch or squish an entity to scale with the Scale tool. For example, stretch a cabinet so it's twice its current width or narrow a car by 5 percent.
Scale a single component or every component in your model.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Techsniffer; 05-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

View desertsp's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks - I will checkout those links (can't load them now on my phone).

Maybe this is a Pro feature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsp View Post
Thanks - I will checkout those links (can't load them now on my phone).

Maybe this is a Pro feature?
I suppose it's possible, but I would think that a basic feature like that would be included in the base program. I have Sketchup Pro 2017 and I couldn't find an exact list to display the differences between Make & Pro.

Update - found a link HERE seems to be mostly up to date.

But at $700 Sketchup Pro isn't a casual purchase.

To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by Techsniffer; 05-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 01:29 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Probably not exactly what you are asking about, but I have made different versions of a model in the same file in Sketchup.
Say I have a cabinet...any cabinet with doors (or drawers).

What I have done is use different layers and assign the components (and dimensions) to that layer...or any number of layers.

So with a single basic cabinet I can have two doors or two doors and a drawer or three drawers and no doors or four drawers, etc. Each can be seen by turning layers on or off. This has come in handy several times for me.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-13-2017, 03:04 PM

In a nutshell I think what he is ask about is the ability to take a model you have built, for example a bookshelf, and grab the right side and move it to the right an additional 3" and it automatically extend the horizontal members (shelves, top, bottom etc) without having to manually scale/push/pull each item to match the new side position. I think this is a common request and not one I recall having found an exact answer to myself. It is frustrating because it is a fairly common feature found in many cad/3D rendering software. Another common complaint is taking an object (say a rectangle) and be able to click on it and resize it exactly by entering in the dimensions (IE X,Y,Z) you desire. It's not that SketchUp can't accomplish this task, it's just way more complicated than it should be, especially compared to similar software.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #7 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Former Member

View 35015's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Desertsp,

I'm on the road between projects so don't have access to everything in my files or a good connection...sorry.

There are extension (aka Rubies) that will do this and then some. We use one that extends and contracts our timbers while leaving all the joinery in the orgin location. Some extension will even do this in other layers and auto update my blueprints as well, but I seldom employ it.

Regrettably, I don't believe the better extension that do this are free...though many are, and some only seem (??) to work with older versions of Pro and have not yet been updated at this time.

I think it is found (??) under Architecture Scale...at the Sketchup Extension Warehouse...

Regards,

j

Last edited by 35015; 05-14-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 12:09 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I'm still stuck on pencil and paper which still actually works. I do have a drafting table, but it's in the dining room covered with everyday junk so when I want to use it that becomes an all day project not to mention finding my old drafting tools or even a sharp pencil and a clean sheet of paper..
Yeah, I know..stop complaining and start cleaning up the dining room..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
I'm still stuck on pencil and paper which still actually works. I do have a drafting table, but it's in the dining room covered with everyday junk so when I want to use it that becomes an all day project not to mention finding my old drafting tools or even a sharp pencil and a clean sheet of paper..
Yeah, I know..stop complaining and start cleaning up the dining room..
I too grew up using a drafting table and creating my plans by hand, I still know how but I find it so much faster to crank out in SketchUp, and it's easier to fix mistakes or if I change my mind.
35015 likes this.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #10 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
I too grew up using a drafting table and creating my plans by hand, I still know how but I find it so much faster to crank out in SketchUp, and it's easier to fix mistakes or if I change my mind.
For some reason I don't understand my brain seems to be missing the parts to make Sketchup work properly. Maybe because I don't like ketchup and they rhyme? That's all I got..lol
35015 likes this.

Impressive, huh?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
For some reason I don't understand my brain seems to be missing the parts to make Sketchup work properly. Maybe because I don't like ketchup and they rhyme? That's all I got..lol
Try this, watch them and follow along in Sketchup, its what I used to get me started.

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #12 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techsniffer View Post
Try this, watch them and follow along in Sketchup, its what I used to get me started.

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/
Yup..that's a huge help. Thanks.
I had tried to use SU the same way I had used programs such as Paint shop pro and it just didn't cut it. Most of these programs took a big break from what they used to be back when I first started tinkering with them back around 2000 or thereabouts and I got lost big time and never really caught up.
Maybe it's time I take the time to catch up..

Impressive, huh?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Yup..that's a huge help. Thanks.
I had tried to use SU the same way I had used programs such as Paint shop pro and it just didn't cut it. Most of these programs took a big break from what they used to be back when I first started tinkering with them back around 2000 or thereabouts and I got lost big time and never really caught up.
Maybe it's time I take the time to catch up..
I will say I went to SketchUp thinking it would be like other 3D software or Photoshop and just be so overwhelming that it would be hard to pick up and learn without large sums of sitting and tinkering. But with those videos and a list of the shortcuts I picked up most of the things needed for designing wood projects within a few hours.

SketchUp Shortcut List

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #14 of 14 Old 05-21-2017, 11:27 AM

View rcheli1's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the link!

Very helpful!

James

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode