I've had it with Sketch Up - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

View TS3660's Photo Album My Photos
I've had it with Sketch Up

I've updated my driver, I've uninstalled & reinstalled, I've searched for viruses, I've defragged, I've talked to the help line, I've verified & reverified PC requirements, nothing helps. It just keeps rebooting my PC whenever I open SU. Do you know how much time that wastes? 5 minutes everytime my PC reboots. So, I'll have to find something else to draw with. For whatever reason, I just can't use SU.

Bud

"Veggie burgers aren't bad if you put enough meat on them"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 PM

View phinds's Photo Album My Photos
Darn, Bud, that's a shame. It's a cool program. I've never heard of anyone having the kinds of problems you have with it. Bummer.

Hope you find something useable and not too expensive to use instead. Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I used to do a fair amount with VISIO but it's expensive and doesn't really compare to SU.

Paul

You can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps.
www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
post #3 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 10:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Bud Question:

I'm just curious, since your problem is specific to you it seems and only you/your computer, what browser do you use to download it. And have you tried a different browser with the same results?
Now don't forget, I'm an Art student and know nothing about computers, so forgive this nubie question if it seems "out there" bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Old School

View Willie T's Photo Album My Photos
This sounds too familiar. Have you ever downloaded ANYTHING from a company called Computer Associates (ca) ?

Their 'security' programs are often offered with Brighthouse Networks.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-04-2010 at 10:26 PM.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
I use a what???

View b4d93r's Photo Album My Photos
Actual physical memory can cause this at times. Usually in the form of a bad stick of RAM or just a section of the memory that had something stuck in it and it can't free it up. When the application (in this case Sketch Up) is trying to write to the same spot each time, it crashes.

There are a couple of things that you can try, one of course is getting a RAM testing application and run that.

Other options include shutting down the computer all the way, unplug it and then unplug the RAM for at least 10 minutes. Then replacing the RAM and plug everything back in and try it again. What this will (should) do is allow any residual electrical charge that being stored in the circuits to be completely removed. If there is something stuck in RAM, this should free it up. If you still experience the issue after this test, then run the RAM checker program if you already haven't.

Another thing to check is what is your Virtual Memory (Swap) size?

1. To do this, Right click on the "My Computer icon and choose "Properties" option.
  2. Click the "Advanced" tab
  3. Click on <Settings> in the Performance section.
  4. Click on the Advanced tab

Note the current size settings under the Virtual Memory section

Click on the <Change> button and note how VM is handled, Is it set to a specific size, is it system handled, ect. and let us know.

I always suggest setting it to system managed This is to ensure that you will have enough swap space. The downfall of this is that it will use up more disk space than what you would like it to. Plus if you're hard drive is pretty full (you have less than 5GB free) it can cause issues. Microsoft says it will never use more than the amount of physical RAM you have but they LIE. I've seen the swap file grow to 5gb in size on a machine with only 1 GB of RAM.

Let us know what you find out.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 AM

View snav's Photo Album My Photos
I had problems with it yhears ago but didn't feel the need to buy a program just for personal use - I stuck with hand-sketching everything which is more time consuming but problem free. Then my oldest became a genius at architecture and I abducted his brain for all my needs :)

If you don't have a savant to use then I'd suggest to look into Ecad and similar programs - I had that program years ago and loved it (like 15 years ago) - and I'm sure they've only improved it. Ecad, at that time, was very simple and problem free - rendering into a 3d walkthrough model took forever but it was still manageable on my puny computer that my dad frankensteined for me.
post #7 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4d93r View Post
Actual physical memory can cause this at times. Usually in the form of a bad stick of RAM or just a section of the memory that had something stuck in it and it can't free it up. When the application (in this case Sketch Up) is trying to write to the same spot each time, it crashes.

There are a couple of things that you can try, one of course is getting a RAM testing application and run that.
if it is a memory issue memtest is a fantastic program for abusing your memory and finding issues. just let it run over night or over a weekend and if there is a problem with a stick it will find it.
post #8 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM

View logstairways's Photo Album My Photos
Wish I could help you with Sketch Up, never used it. I use a Software CAD program called Turbo Cad. I like it, but I believe the initial cost was around $400.
Does Sketch Up have a user forum that you could tap into?
post #9 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Hungry like a Hippo

View cellophane's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by logstairways View Post
http://www.sketchucation.com/
post #10 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
FWIW, have you checked the Event Viewer to see what the logs say is happening just prior to the system rebooting? I suspect you may be dealing with a memory issue, hitting a bad section of high memory and core dumping... Have you run any sort of hardware test like memtest86 or anything like that to verify that your hardware is okay?

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #11 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by logstairways View Post
Been there....no help

As far as memtest, I went to the site but couldn't quite figure out what or where to download. A link to a download would help me. Thanks.

Bud

post #12 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 06:47 PM
where's my table saw?

Bud I found this

It may help to get to memtest86:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...memorytest.htm
Windows also has one listed second.

bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 02-05-2010 at 06:49 PM.
post #13 of 31 Old 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM

View bb71's Photo Album My Photos
If you happen to have multiple pieces of RAM in the computer, a very simple way of testing it out is to start pulling pieces and verifying if the problem still occurs. For example, if you have 4 1Gb sticks, pull them all but one. Fire it up and see if the problem still happens. Do this for each stick. It helps to put a piece of masking tape with a number on each stick to keep themn straight. Depending on the motherboard, the single stick may have to be in memory slot 1. This is a very quick way of giving some idea as to if you do have a bad piece of memory or not. One thing it doesn't do is rule out a bad slot. After you've tested each stick in slot one, you can test for bad slots in a similar manner to the RAM. Don't forget to ground yourself off before touching anything inside the case. Either use a grounding wrist strap or just make sure you're touching the steel chassis the whole time you're touching any of the electronics.
post #14 of 31 Old 02-27-2010, 10:10 AM

By the way, don't give up on Sketchup. In the end, it probably has nothing to do with your issue, its just exposing the underlying problem.
post #15 of 31 Old 02-28-2010, 12:35 PM
I use a what???

View b4d93r's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb71 View Post
By the way, don't give up on Sketchup. In the end, it probably has nothing to do with your issue, its just exposing the underlying problem.
I second bb71's comments. try those troubleshooting techniques plus go to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and get a copy of the free ISO file and burn a copy. It has memory testing (among other awesome) tools. You just boot off that CD and you'll be able to run memory tests.

I downloaded v7 of Sketchup and haven't had any issues so far. I do have a similar issue but with virtual_garden by the BBC broadcasting network. I can run it just fine on my laptop but on my desktop it crashes. To me that tells me there is some sort of compatibility issue. i may not have the right version of something it needs or it didn't install properly. There are other things that it could be but those are a couple of examples.

Here is another thought. Go to http://www.piriform.com/ and get CCleaner. This offers a registry fixer/cleaner that may also fix your issue. The registry option is extremely safe to use and I have never had a problem with it and it's actually fixed several issues I've had over the past couple of years. I highly recommend this application to anyone just as an overall good way to help keep your system clean and running good and I think they just made it Windows 7 compatible and it's FREE!

You can also automate it to allow the cleaning portion to run unattended which makes system maintenance easier as that is something the majority of users forget to do on a regular basis.

If you decide to get that and have any questions on what you should or should not choose for options, just let me know.
post #16 of 31 Old 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM
where's my table saw?

I second that

Quote: Here is another thought. Go to http://www.piriform.com/ and get CCleaner. This offers a registry fixer/cleaner that may also fix your issue. The registry option is extremely safe to use and I have never had a problem with it and it's actually fixed several issues I've had over the past couple of years. I highly recommend this application to anyone just as an overall good way to help keep your system clean and running good and I think they just made it Windows 7 compatible and it's FREE!
I use it and it works great!
BTW I am not a geek, only a half a**ed woodworker. bill

post #17 of 31 Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 AM

View pinakbert's Photo Album My Photos
Have you tried to open it on another profile on you PC? It could be a video setting problem, like the 3D setting for your video card might not be properly set for use with SU.

How far does the program get before it reboots? To the window where you can pick template?

what other programs are running? Have you checked the task manager to see how many processes are running?
post #18 of 31 Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Quote: Here is another thought. Go to http://www.piriform.com/ and get CCleaner. This offers a registry fixer/cleaner that may also fix your issue. The registry option is extremely safe to use and I have never had a problem with it and it's actually fixed several issues I've had over the past couple of years. I highly recommend this application to anyone just as an overall good way to help keep your system clean and running good and I think they just made it Windows 7 compatible and it's FREE!
I use it and it works great!
BTW I am not a geek, only a half a**ed woodworker. bill
Done it. No help.

Bud

post #19 of 31 Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb71 View Post
If you happen to have multiple pieces of RAM in the computer, a very simple way of testing it out is to start pulling pieces and verifying if the problem still occurs. For example, if you have 4 1Gb sticks, pull them all but one. Fire it up and see if the problem still happens. Do this for each stick. It helps to put a piece of masking tape with a number on each stick to keep themn straight. Depending on the motherboard, the single stick may have to be in memory slot 1. This is a very quick way of giving some idea as to if you do have a bad piece of memory or not. One thing it doesn't do is rule out a bad slot. After you've tested each stick in slot one, you can test for bad slots in a similar manner to the RAM. Don't forget to ground yourself off before touching anything inside the case. Either use a grounding wrist strap or just make sure you're touching the steel chassis the whole time you're touching any of the electronics.

Have you gone through this to eliminate bad RAM?
post #20 of 31 Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM

View logstairways's Photo Album My Photos
sketch up

Wow Bud,

By the time you find the issue, you will be a computer programer.
You have had allot more intelligent advice. But have you tried loading the program with the CD rather than via a download. I have had problems with downloaded programs verses CD loads in the past.
Hope by the time you get this you will be up and running.

Good Luck, L

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode