Intimidated by sketchup - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 13Likes

post #1 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

View clickclackclunk's Photo Album My Photos
Intimidated by sketchup

Is anyone else super intimidated by sketchup? It feels so hard to start in a computer and think everything through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Hey Rami, I feel the same way. I looked on You-Tube and the videos are so boring I can't watch them. I am 76 so that is part of the problem but I am a person that needs to learn from doing.

PS- I do have it downloaded.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #3 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't do well with computers at all so I won't even look into sketchup. I will continue to use my drafting table.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 PM

View AlWood's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I don't do well with computers at all so I won't even look into sketchup. I will continue to use my drafting table.
What is sketchup? :)
post #5 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlWood View Post
Sketchup is the enemy!!

Im okay with computers but i find Sketchup a bit confusing. While i understand individual actions on it combining them is where i get mixed up. Like Steve ill just keep drawing out what i need.

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 02:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlWood View Post
It's computer aided drafting software.
post #7 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup is what you put on french fries and tater tots, isn't it? OK, I looked at it and decided to keep my spiral notebook and pencil.

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #8 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 PM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Rami, Sketchup in the beginning is like anything learned. I suggest that you start out by making a box. Then add dimensions to it. then use the push pull tool to change the size of the box and you will see the dimensions change as you distort your box. There are a lot of videos on the internet for beginners to learn from. I found it helpful using a second computer to watch the video while using Sketchup on the first computer in order to do as I watched. Don't give up it is worth using.
post #9 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 PM

View pro70z28's Photo Album My Photos
I use Flexisign, only because it's what I've drawn with since 1992. When I design a project, I use Flexi first. No paper is harmed during the designing of anything here. If I don't like how it's turning out, It's a simple process to back up, start over or reshape one thing or another. I even used it when I drew up plans for the addition on the house. I put all the existing house dimensions, roof lines and angles into the document, drew the new addition, and I'll be if it didn't work. Flexi has a list of other CAD programs it can simulate and while they are different, they all have similarities.
Like most new things, it's just a matter of doing it, messing up a few times and trying again. and again.
post #10 of 48 Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 PM

View zild1221's Photo Album My Photos
Don't be intimidated by sketchup! It is really easy to get into, and once you start to use it a little more, you can tailor it to your individual needs.

I use mine for quite a few different things. First off, I design kitchens, bathrooms, whole home interiors for my renovations. I also use it for designing parts to be 3d printed or CNC cut via router or waterjet.

My advice would be to just jump into a project. Go into the settings of sketchup and change your toolbars so you have all tools. Then as you go, watch tutorials to figure out issues that you're hung-up on. Learning hotkeys and key modifiers is an absolute must to unlock the full potential of sketchup and speed up drawing time.

My other biggest piece of advice is learn how groups and components work. You want to think of everything you're designing as a lot of small pieces that come together. For example, if I'm designing a cabinet, I'll start with the box. Every side of the box will be it's own group to form each sheet of plywood. The face frame would be multiple pieces just as I would cut them in the shop. Then I group those pieces into one larger piece as the face frame. That way it's easier to manipulate parts of your drawing without messing anything else up.

I would definitely recommend sticking with it. At the entry level, it can be very basic and simple. Once you start to peel back the layers, it can become very complex. And then you can add in thousands of task-specific extensions that make your life easier and add a ton of additional capabilities to the software.
post #11 of 48 Old 07-01-2018, 03:01 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I'm young but I've never been good with computers. I can use auto desk but I'd much rather just do all my drafting by hand. If I ever need help doing anything fancy though I'm good friends with a drafting teacher (Lucky me). Sketch up isn't too hard to learn but I've never really bothered with it.

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #12 of 48 Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 AM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Been playing with Sketchup last couple days and along with some extensions (which i just figured out how to use) I managed to draw my in progress shop. Heck i even put a contractor table saw in it which looks a bit like mine.
Guess its like anything else, the more you mess with it the more you figure out about it. Truth be told the program did 90% of the work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	363408  

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #13 of 48 Old 08-25-2018, 02:03 AM

View flytoolow's Photo Album My Photos
Are people using the free version, Sketchup Pro, or Sketchup Shop?
post #14 of 48 Old 08-25-2018, 08:45 AM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoolow View Post
Are people using the free version, Sketchup Pro, or Sketchup Shop?
I have read that the free version is all a woodworker needs.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-26-2018, 02:18 AM

View SwampRat's Photo Album My Photos
I use the free version, although the pro version is so much nicer for me (I ran the 30 day trial). the biggest advantage over paper is being able to rotate your view 360 degrees. On my current project, being able to view it from different angles identified where I had mistakenly used 1 1/2" long tenons into 1 1/4" deep mortises. Instant feedback on dimensions is really nice too.

With the pro version you an generate a material list of all your components, which is amazing, but not worth $700+ for a guy who doesn't get income from his wood-working.
post #16 of 48 Old 12-09-2018, 05:39 PM

View jknupp's Photo Album My Photos
Sketchup

I'll preface by saying I'm in IT for my "real" job so I tend to pickup software programs pretty easily.

That said, I found that this site (http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/) is a great place to start for people just starting with Sketchup.

Personally, I like the program a lot. I tend to start designs/project with a sketch in my journal, but once that's done, I move over to Sketchup. Once you get the hang of how Sketchup wants you to work, it's a pretty good program. Love the add on that let's me print out a full cut list for the project.

For those that asked, I find the free version just fine.

-Justin
Dave_Rett and JBnOregon like this.

-Justin Knupp

If it's not going to matter to you in five years, don't spend more than five minutes being upset by it.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-03-2019, 11:49 PM

View david989's Photo Album My Photos
I love Sketchup. I'll admit there is a learning curve but like any new skill start simple and work up. Years ago I worked in a drafting office with a drawing board and T square, then moved on to Autocad 2D. For me it took a little while to get into working in a 3D environment in Sketchup. After several years I am still learning new stuff. There are many plug ins to help with modeling. Right now I am drawing plans for a new workbench. Moving the legs and vise position takes moments. Not sure how much time erasing and redrawing it would take to do what takes me a couple of minutes in Sketchup. The biggest problem I have is printing full size. I know how to do it I just don't have a large enough printer. My work around is to bring the drawing up on my laptop in the shop. I still have a drawing board, T square etc. I don't remember the last time I used them though.

All that said I fully understand if you are not comfortable using a computer. In that case I would agree that Sketchup would not be for you. My brother in law uses pencil and paper to draw his plans. I've tried to show him how to use Sketchup but he says no way would he use it.

Totally agree with Justin's suggestion above if you are interested in learning.
post #18 of 48 Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 PM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Right there with you! Just havenít committed the time to learn it. I think some instruction would be helpful. Itís on the to do list.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #19 of 48 Old 01-05-2019, 08:59 PM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Gaveup on Sketchup; went back to the pencil, paper and ruler.
Ever wonder how people built houses and furniture 100 years ago?

A diamond is how coal reacts under pressure.
post #20 of 48 Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 PM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
I have tried figuring out Sketchup at least three time, starting when if first came out. I'm 71 but fairly computer savy and have used CAD programs for decades. I have given up on Sketchup. The learning curve has been too much.

However, I am currently making a run at using Fusion 360, which is also a cloud-based 3D CAD/CAM program. Because I have some spur gears I want made with a CNC router. With help from someone who uses it commercially, I've been able to create the gears, but that is because there is a script that generates the gear drawing given the properties of the gear that you enter into fields. Very slick.

Fusion 360 generates the G-code and toolpaths required for the CNC operations.

What I am having difficulty with is learning how to draw and place features on the generated gears, but that is just another learning curve matter. I have started the video based tutorials which should get me where I want to be, but I've only just begun and there are many other things demanding my time.

I'm at the stage where I could deliver the Fusion 360 gear files to someone and they could cut the gears with just a single center hole and I would add the other features manually (peg mounting holes and spokes) by modifying one gear of each size into pattern boards for using a bearing-guided router bit.

The learning curve for Fusion 360 seems quite similar to Sketchup, but the difference for me is that I have a reason/purpose for learning now that I lacked when trying to learn Sketchup.

Rick

"If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode