How to draw intersecting coves on a panel? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
How to draw intersecting coves on a panel?

Okay to draw the first cove, you lay it out with the curve tool, and then use the push / pull tool to push out the excess, but how do you do the same thing again but intersecting the first, say to model a raised panel?

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Use the Follow Me tool. It's the one right below the Push/Pull tool. Create your panel, make a component, open for editing, draw your curve. Then using the select tool and the shift key select each top edge of the panel and also select the tiny portion of the top panel that is between the top corner and the curve drawn. You want to make sure you have all the original top edge selected. Then click on the Follow Me tool and then click on the small area where you created the curve.

If I've explained that correctly, you should have a nice looking raised panel.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins

Last edited by trc65; 01-14-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: correction in tool name
post #3 of 8 Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Sketchup teacher

View MSketcher's Photo Album My Photos
Complex modlings in Sketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Okay to draw the first cove, you lay it out with the curve tool, and then use the push / pull tool to push out the excess, but how do you do the same thing again but intersecting the first, say to model a raised panel?
I agree, the follow me tool is often the best way to do this. It is definitely the easiest. If you wanted to discover more ways to create angle cuts in complex moldings, check out this playlist of videos I made. They go over three different methods I've used.

I create Sketchup Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials at www.MasterSketchup.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
Use the Follow Me tool. It's the one right below the Push/Pull tool. Create your panel, make a component, open for editing, draw your curve. Then using the select tool and the shift key select each top edge of the panel and also select the tiny portion of the top panel that is between the top corner and the curve drawn. You want to make sure you have all the original top edge selected. Then click on the Follow Me tool and then click on the small area where you created the curve.

If I've explained that correctly, you should have a nice looking raised panel.
Hmmm. All the follow me tool seems to do is make the extrude one way for me VERY fast.. I want basically the same extrusion all the way around the object...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Thumb Nailer

Never mind. You guys clued me in to the right tool. Youtube showed me how to actually do it. I LIKE that follow me tool!

post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2013, 07:48 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Glad it worked for you. I remember when I was first trying to use the tool (with an illustrated tutorial) I couldn't get it to work either. I spent about an hour before I finally got it to work. Still don't know what I was doing wrong but it works for me now.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 AM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
follow-me might be great for a visual tool but for creating a profile for cutlist to extrapolate a component it really isn't that helpful. Boards and molding isn't made the way the follow-me tool draws (generally speaking).
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM

View mikedam's Photo Album My Photos
If you like the follow me tool you'll love the Profile Builder plugin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode