Creating a Hole in Sketchup 8 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

View habs's Photo Album My Photos
Creating a Hole in Sketchup 8

I know this may seem like a dumb question but I can't figure out how to make a hole in a board. I thought I could just draw a circle and use push/pull to create the hole, then erase the circle. It's obviously not how you do it because that method didn't work for me. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:43 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
once you push the circle through the board, you have a hole. no need to erase the circle.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 AM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
That's exactly how you do it. Make sure you have made the board a component first. Open the board/component for editing, create the circle on the surface and use push/pull. If you've done those steps and have a column that has extended beyond the bottom of the board, you've pushed it too far. If you use the push/pull for exactly the width of the board a hole will appear.

If you are having trouble getting it to push/pull the exact amount of the thickness, use the push/pull to extend the circle through the board and then type in the thickness of the board in the Distance dialogue box in the lower left corner and hit enter. The hole will then appear.

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I guess I did it then. It didn't look 3D so I thought it was still just a circle. Thanks for the help guys.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 AM
Master firewood maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc65 View Post
That's exactly how you do it. Make sure you have made the board a component first. Open the board/component for editing, create the circle on the surface and use push/pull. If you've done those steps and have a column that has extended beyond the bottom of the board, you've pushed it too far. If you use the push/pull for exactly the width of the board a hole will appear.

If you are having trouble getting it to push/pull the exact amount of the thickness, use the push/pull to extend the circle through the board and then type in the thickness of the board in the Distance dialogue box in the lower left corner and hit enter. The hole will then appear.
TRC, in order to make a hole in something, the thing does not need to be a component. To tell the OP to make sure to make it a component first implies you cannot put a hole in something unless it is a component.

Not every board needs to be a component. And in order to put a hole in something, you don't need to make it a component first.

There are definately good reasons for components, and they provide a very useful feature, but they are not in any way related to what the OP is asking about in this thread.

Habs, where you fell down was when you tried to delete the hole after pushing it to the other side of the board. If it is till not clear, I can do a quick little tutorial for you.

Last edited by Chris Curl; 02-22-2013 at 01:41 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Curl For This Useful Post:
trc65 (02-22-2013)
post #6 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Chris, if you can do a quick tutorial I wouldn't mind. Only if its not too much trouble. I just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. Thanks
post #7 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 AM
Master firewood maker

ok ...

the first image is the "board". this is a 2x6.

then there is it with the circle drawn on it.

then the circle is selected and "pushed" down 1 1/2". that is all there is to it.

the last pic is the board with the hole.

note that you can push it part of the way through, exactly the distance of the board, or further. to have fine control over how far it is pushed, you can push it the direction you want really any distance at all, and then type the distance you want it to go. this is what TRC was talking about. that is a great tip and you will find you use it alot.

in this case, i could have pushed it 1/8 of an inch or 6 feet with the mouse, and then typed 1 1/2. since the board is 1 1/2" thick, it stops at the other face, and you get a circle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	63745  

Name:	c2.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	63746  

Last edited by Chris Curl; 02-22-2013 at 01:40 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 AM
Master firewood maker

also note that once you have the hole, if you were to select top edge of the hole and delete it, you would end up with a smoothe surface on that side, but the other side would still have a hole in it. i SUSPECT this is what you did, that caused you to ask the question.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Chris, thanks for the tutorial. I'm guessing maybe it's just the way my drawing looks. I did exactly what you showed and it still just looks like circles on the board. When I push it to the back side of the board a circle shows up but it doesn't look like its pushed through. I'll try and post a picture to show you what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2785597838.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	63779  

post #10 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I guess it just looks like that because the board is only 3/4" thick. I drew a thicker board and did what you said and it looks 3D. Thanks again.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs View Post
I guess it just looks like that because the board is only 3/4" thick. I drew a thicker board and did what you said and it looks 3D. Thanks again.

Nope... In the drawing you posted it should be a 3D hole.
You did something wrong, try it again.

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #12 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Haha. I figured it out. I had to explode the drawing to do it. It looks 3D now. Jeez, that took me forever!
post #13 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
I sense improper work flow. There should be no need to explode a drawing to make holes in a "board"

Are you perhaps moving these holes from one board and copying them to another?

Last edited by mics_54; 02-22-2013 at 12:11 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Master firewood maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics_54 View Post
I sense improper work flow. There should be no need to explode a drawing to make holes in a "board"

Are you perhaps moving these holes from one board and copying them to another?
my guess is that habs is new to sketchup, found a design in the component gallery that he liked, and is trying to make some tweaks to it to suit his needs.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I'm new to it but this is an original design. I'm not even sure how to find a component and tweak it! Haha! I'm just glad I'm starting to get the hang of this. Thanks for all the replies and help!
post #16 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 PM

View Tman1's Photo Album My Photos
It sounds to me like the boards were part of a group. If you just make a rectangle, then use the push/pull tool to make a board, the steps used above work. But, if the sides have been grouped (either manually or by using the shapes plugin to make the board), then you first have to double click with the arrow tool on the board to edit anything in that group. You know you did it right when you get dotted lines around your board. Once he hit explode, the board was no longer a group, but just a bunch of lines and surfaces, so that also works for making the hole. But, once it is exploded, the board can't move as a group anymore. Note, if the board is part of another group(s), you have to keep double-clicking until you get to inside the boards group.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 03:25 PM

View Mechtec's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs View Post
I know this may seem like a dumb question but I can't figure out how to make a hole in a board. I thought I could just draw a circle and use push/pull to create the hole, then erase the circle. It's obviously not how you do it because that method didn't work for me. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance
Hi Habs maybe some visual pics will help.
I am a the best a hack with sketchup...so take what i say with a grain of salt

In the first pic the hole is drawn and ready to make a hole in your object.

In the 2nd hole,you can see the hole is going into the object, but not through it completely.

And in third hole you can hole completely through the object.

In this pic you can see the hole making process has gone too far through the object.

OK now pullup tool is looking for a distance to complete with, this determined if you have a hole or not. most people can just push through
without flipping to the other side of the object, but sometimes i have a hard time doing this and need to rotate the object to the reverse side then choose and edge or face to pick the end of making the hole.
hope this helps

gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode