Autocad to Turbo Cad? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

View ryan50hrl's Photo Album My Photos
Autocad to Turbo Cad?

Hey Guys.....so I've been using autocad for a decade or more now.....however my last windows vista 32 bit computer is about to die....and my version of autocad won't run on 64 bit windows....

So anyhow...i've really never liked sketchup....so i'm thinking of buying a copy of Turbocad.....it gets pretty good reviews on amazon.com.....just wondering if anyone else has used turbocad??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 02:33 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Have you looked into installing a 2nd drive with a 2nd operating system in the new machine? Depending on the hardware & operating system you pick, it's worth inquiring whether you could have one drive set up for sexiest 64 bit current technology; and a 2nd drive with an operating system that will be happy with the motherboard & processor but still run older 32 bit applications. I only know enough to ask the question. For the price of a 2nd drive and OS (maybe even re-use your vista) you might save yourself a lot of time learning some new program.... unless, of course, you want to do that. If there is a combo that works for this, then you just use a boot utility to pick which configuration you want to start.

Good luck

PS I suggest getting that new machine while the old one still works!
post #3 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

So there's where my knowledge of computers ends.....I don't even know where to start with that one.

The tools don't make the craftsman....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
Re: 32bit AutoCAD on 64bit Windows 7 system

No, not natively. What you can do is install a Windows XP Virtual PC from Microsoft. It comes free for Windows 7 users. That will allow you to run Windows XP from within Windows 7.

I found this also
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
post #5 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Oh... in that case, and if you would like to keep using what you already know, you might want to read up on the "compatibility" feature of Microsoft's current operating systems. I was assuming you'd already looked into that and struck out. Using that feature I run some old 32 bit applications under 64 bit Windows 7 just fine. Makers of my old programs all said they would not work under 64 bit Windows, but their goal was to sell me a new version.... so they convienently didn't mention the possibility of continued use via the "compatibility" feature.

Also, have you already checked with readers at some autocad forums to see if anyone has charted these waters?

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!
post #6 of 17 Old 12-09-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

There's a program from longbow software that for 50 bucks says it fixes the problem....but 50 buck to a company I've never heard of makes me a bit more cautious.

post #7 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 12:56 AM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
You don't say what version of Acad you are running, but here is how I solved the issue with Acad 2002.

Install the program as you normally would on the new machine and make sure to place a shortcut on the desk top. Now right click on the desktop icon and select properties.

Look for the tab labeled compatibility. In that tab you can select a number of older windows versions to run under. I have mine set on XP SP 3. I also have it set to run as an administer. I have none of the other things selected from the list of possibilities in that tab.

Whenever I start the program the windows 7 security caution comes up asking me if I want to allow the program to make changes to the computer. I tell it yes and Acad starts up and runs just fine including loading my custom LISP routines and batch files through the Acadlsp file and all my custom keyboard shortcuts through the Acad.pgp file. Not to mention my personal custom pull down menus and mouse button commands.

I am currently on a machine that runs Windows 7 Home Premium and has a quad core processor with a 64 bit OS. Everything written by Autodesk says my computer can not run my version of Acad, but it runs just fine all day everyday.

I often run Autocad and Gimp and Firefox at the same time along with music on Windows Media player. Everything runs together just fine.

Moral to the story.... don't spend money you don't have to on things you can do yourself for free.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52

Last edited by johnnie52; 12-10-2013 at 01:00 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

I have autocad 2000...my problem is it doesn't even want to install. How'd you get around that?

post #9 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 01:06 AM

Is it just crashing or is it telling you that it doesn't approve and asks if you want to anyway?

I've never had any issues during installation except one time the autorun didn't work and I had to go into the DVD through explorer and double click on the setup file. If yours doesn't even try, you may have to do that. Just make sure you use the actual setup file and not the autorun file.

I've made a few videos
post #10 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

The auto run file just pops up an error. I'll try the manual file tonight.

post #11 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

So the plot thickens.......The disk i have sitting here is autocad 2000.....however I have autocad 2004 on my computer.......but I can't find the disk.....any way to transfer to a new computer without the install disk?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-10-2013, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

Alright....so I found the right disk....and attempted to install Autocad 2004 onto vista 64 bit.......wouldn't install correctly. Everytime I try to run it, it just goes to an error. So....Next step was to try and run it in a virtual pc mode on my new computer (I have an old copy of win xp).....now this worked....but its really slow.....So.....Now i'm back to step 1.....

Anyone tried the longbow converting software?
post #13 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 12:12 PM

All my recent research says that 2006 will not work without the Longbow program. I still say that if you have the original instal disk for 2000 to use that, but it looks like you're going to have no other options.

Let me know how it works if you decide to get it as I think I'm the only other Acad user here.

I've made a few videos
post #14 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

2000 won't run either. So if I'm going to try longbow, I may as well try it with ac 2004. It appears to work as there are a few reviews out there. For 50 bucks I guess I'll give it a shot.

post #15 of 17 Old 12-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Sawdust Wrangler

View mobilepaul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
Hey Guys.....so I've been using autocad for a decade or more now.....however my last windows vista 32 bit computer is about to die....and my version of autocad won't run on 64 bit windows....

So anyhow...i've really never liked sketchup....so i'm thinking of buying a copy of Turbocad.....it gets pretty good reviews on amazon.com.....just wondering if anyone else has used turbocad??
Ryan, if you have the disc, I have never seen a Autocad disc that didn't have both 32 bit and 64 bit. Now I don't know about the older versions but the ones I've seen had both installs you just have to go into another directory.

Paul
post #16 of 17 Old 12-27-2013, 10:05 PM
Sketchup teacher

View MSketcher's Photo Album My Photos
AutoCAD replacement

Hey guys, if you're looking for a direct AutoCAD replacement and you're not interested in making the move to SketchUp, you should check out Draftsight. It's free, and a coworker of mine says it's his favorite AutoCAD replacement. (He's an AutoCAD guru, me on the otherhand, not so much, lol). Check it out here http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/

I create Sketchup Tips, Tricks, and Tutorials at www.MasterSketchup.com
post #17 of 17 Old 03-31-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Sawdust Creator

So I finally took the step and bought the longbow software........and wala!!! I HAVE AUTOCAD again. The software worked great and i'm up and running again!!!

http://www.longbowsoftware.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode