A Timberframed Woodworking Shop - Build Thread - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 23Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

View brentstanley's Photo Album My Photos
A Timberframed Woodworking Shop - Build Thread

Hi all! I'm sorta doing the same thing as the tradesman channel and trying to video document the build of my new workshop! I figured I'd post here because there aren't many forums with timberframing content. First two videos are up.....I make no claims of being a videographer!

https://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

View Jay C. White Cloud's Photo Album My Photos
I've been following along...!!!...Thank you for taking the time to make them!!!

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the project. Posting updates here would be great!

We all need a Timber Frame workshops (I think) but I'm bias...LOL...So very happy you are getting one now to work in yourself...you deserve it. I must note, as a seasoned woodworker and timber framer yourself, isn't it funny that many Timberwrights only design and build frames...but...they don't own a timber frame shop? Its kind of the "Cobblers kids have no shoes," thing I guess. I've also observed, that many that finally get themselves into a "proper shop" seem to start making more and better frames...so there is always that to look forward too also...

Thanks again!!!

j

P.S. Brent...Its been a few years (2015 I think?) since we corresponded last? Did you ever do or finish the Dutch Frame? Drop me an email sometime to catch up!

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
Stephen Covey:"Seek to understand, before seeking to be understood..."

Last edited by Jay C. White Cloud; 01-20-2019 at 06:17 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-21-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Well, now I'm slightly intimidated! :)

But seriously, I was hoping you'd get wind of this and have time to check it out. I notice Jim Rodgers has subscribed too so this is great!

I guess I'm hoping to add to the existing knowledge already on youtube with a few more details on a few subjects that I've noticed aren't covered as well, or with as many perspectives. I also like the idea of some back and forth in these pages and in the comments regarding different techniques and within the time I have available, I like the idea of trying some different techniques from what I'm accustomed to and documenting my experience. The video work takes time, and I have a lot to learn. Lighting isn't that great and the sound is very echoey and my camera gear isn't top notch, but I hope it works for folks.

Cheers and thanks for touching base,

Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-21-2019, 06:50 PM
Timber Wright-Guide

Hi Brent,

Don't be intimidated...I'm looking forward to following along. If you haven't watched any of Mr. Chickadee's videos on Youtube, I recommend them highly. He works in the same stiles as I do and with the same methods...

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your progress or answering questions.

j

Tosa Tomo Designs
Confucius (551 BCE): "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand..." "...Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance..." Socrates:I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only help them think..."
post #5 of 33 Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Hi Jay, I'm quite familiar with Mr. C and have watched many of his videos. Surprisingly effective, minimalist productions....and who can't like a fella who likes cats?

B
Jay C. White Cloud likes this.
post #6 of 33 Old 01-22-2019, 11:51 AM

View gmercer_48083's Photo Album My Photos
Brent, I am an avid fan of Barnwood Builders (on TV), and am looking forward to see your future videos on YouTube. I have always been amazed at the accuracy of work associated with the joinery achieved 200 years ago with limited tools available, and the shear determination needed to accomplish a structure that lasts so long. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

Gary
post #7 of 33 Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi Gary, the frame will be cut in Southern Ontario Canada, but erected in New Brunswick.

B
post #8 of 33 Old 01-23-2019, 01:16 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Hi Brent,

Don't be intimidated...I'm looking forward to following along. If you haven't watched any of Mr. Chickadee's videos on Youtube, I recommend them highly. He works in the same stiles as I do and with the same methods...

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your progress or answering questions.

j
I love his tools, especially the chalk line, that is beautiful. One thing for sure, he knows what he is doing. Loved the video, thanks.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 AM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentstanley View Post
Hi all! I'm sorta doing the same thing as the tradesman channel and trying to video document the build of my new workshop! I figured I'd post here because there aren't many forums with timberframing content. First two videos are up.....I make no claims of being a videographer!

B
I subscribed, looking forward to seeing more of your projects and techniques. I bet no one has to rock you to sleep at night moving all those timbers.

The Other
BigJim

post #10 of 33 Old 01-23-2019, 10:49 AM

View Jim_Rogers's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim_Rogers
I'm following along as well.
We may have met at the school as I am usually there with our timber framing tools for sale.
Did we meet, Brent?
Jim Rogers

Keep your chisels sharp.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I subscribed, looking forward to seeing more of your projects and techniques. I bet no one has to rock you to sleep at night moving all those timbers.
It would be nice if someone would bring me a heating pad for my back though!

Thanks for tagging along!

Brent
BigJim likes this.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-23-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhhh, yes we did meet Jim! I didn't realize that was you! I was there in spring of 2009. Both Asher and Tate were there helping that year. Thanks for helping to make that connection.

Cheers,

Brent
post #13 of 33 Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 AM
Timber Wright-Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
...I love his tools, especially the chalk line, that is beautiful...
Hi Jim,

That is actually a traditional 墨壷 (Sumitsubo), with the Chinese and Korean cultures having similar versions. These "scribing methods" all seem to have originated in the Nile Valley and forms moved West and East from there many thousands of years about. "Chalk lines" are also used yet I would say in my experience that more "wet line" methods exist than do dry ones. Even the Old Order Amish Barnwrights I apprenticed under used a "grease line" most often not a chalk line interestingly enough.

When Josh (Mr. Chickadee) started exploring other systems, is when we became friends and he wanted to learn the actual acient scribing methods that the Japanese use called: 墨付け (Sumidzuke) as well as the Korean and Chinese. He has, indeed, as you noted really taken to these methods, and made them his own...

Tosa Tomo Designs

Last edited by Jay C. White Cloud; 01-24-2019 at 01:09 AM.
post #14 of 33 Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay C. White Cloud View Post
Hi Jim,

That is actually a traditional 墨壷 (Sumitsubo), with the Chinese and Korean cultures having similar versions. These "scribing methods" all seem to have originated in the Nile Valley and forms moved West and East from there many thousands of years about. "Chalk lines" are also used yet I would say in my experience that more "wet line" methods exist than do dry ones. Even the Old Order Amish Barnwrights I apprenticed under used a "grease line" most often not a chalk line interestingly enough.

When Josh (Mr. Chickadee) started exploring other systems, is when we became friends and he wanted to learn the actual acient scribing methods that the Japanese use called: 墨付け (Sumidzuke) as well as the Korean and Chinese. He has, indeed, as you noted really taken to these methods, and made them his own...
That is really interesting, thanks for taking your time to explain.

That is one very beautiful instrument. I did a search on how one is demonstrated but found nothing.

I became interested in timber framing back when I was doing restoration work on the older antique homes that were built in the late 1700s and early 1800s. The old home builders back then had to configure timbers to hold the structures together without the use of spikes or nails. It was really very interesting to me. I love to see people use their head and back then they certainly did.

The Other
BigJim

Last edited by BigJim; 01-24-2019 at 02:08 AM.
post #15 of 33 Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

I've always enjoyed a quick peek inside old buildings to see the method of work employed. Never get tires of seeing layout lines, and makers marks.
BigJim and Jay C. White Cloud like this.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-24-2019, 11:19 AM
Ole Woodworker

If I were younger, I would love to get into timber framing, it isn't the fast fast rush rush as in regular building. I can still enjoy watching you younger fellows though.

The Other
BigJim

post #17 of 33 Old 01-25-2019, 03:03 AM
Ole Woodworker

Tonight I watched several of Mr Chickadee's videos of him and his wife timber framing his work shop, the man is amazing. I got down to where he is building his windows now. The masonry heater/stove he built was absolutely beautiful.

The Other
BigJim

post #18 of 33 Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM

View Jim_Rogers's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim_Rogers
I sent Mr. C my drawings of the windlass we made so he could make his own to use. He did make one and did use it. It came out quite nice.
Jim Rogers
BigJim likes this.

Keep your chisels sharp.
post #19 of 33 Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 PM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentstanley View Post

B
Brent, at the start of your videos, the woods scene is beautiful. I can just see camping there by the stream.

You are living my dream, I can't wait to see your next video. Thank you for sharing.

The Other
BigJim

post #20 of 33 Old 01-25-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rogers View Post
I sent Mr. C my drawings of the windlass we made so he could make his own to use. He did make one and did use it. It came out quite nice.
Jim Rogers
Oh, cool. That was based on yours. Interesting..

B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode