Cabin build in Morocco - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 09-07-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

View Antho's Photo Album My Photos
Cabin build in Morocco

Hi All,

After a few log in and password issues im now able to start posting....

I will be building a 40m2 cabin here in Morocco (im English) by the coast in Essaouira. Its a desert region like California or Australia. Timber is tricky here as most timber is imported and you cant rely on anybody for local knowledge to the standard we want to build too.

We have several local trees Argan a very rare hardwood that is really pretty as its ancient and very wonky so great for artistic projects but not really a great cabin building wood as the insects love it. The other is Eucalyptus Grandis which is ok for certain uses but it splits from the centre and again the insects destroy it inside a few years. There are a few species of pine, cedar and cyprus but they are not really sustainable and vary in their construction uses.

We have just demolished a barn in our local village and salvaged loads of incredible pieces of timber that I have attached photos of as they really are incredible but are very wonky and irregular so again better for feature and artistic work than outright construction.

This leaves us with imported timber and being that the climate is so dry day time but can be quite humid at night with temperature changes of up to 20 degrees between day and night stability is my biggest concern.... How to get the timber up fast enough to stop it twisting cupping and warping. I have decided to invest in a decent table saw and a thicknesser so I can buy by the m3 rough milled and prepare the timber onsite after acclimatising for a month or so.

Most of the timber available are imported Scandinavian pines, conifers and cypruses. Can somebody help me out with differences between the many species of construction woods and which ones are the most stable durable and asthetic. I have been told Oregan Pine is the best on balance (but expensive), I understand this to be the same as Douglas Fir but different to Redwood. Cost is a problem here and most wood is almost double the price of the UK on average. Most of the pines are imported from scandinavia.... are these different to the American varieties?

Many thanks,

Ant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5148.jpg (696.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5151.jpg (645.7 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode