Table saw sled build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 04-28-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Table saw sled build

Here is a new sled I made over the weekend. The point of this was to be able to safely cut smaller pieces on the table saw. I generally copied Jim Brown's design, found here: http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/j...stgallery.html

I've not used the clamps in his design, but they looked like they might be fussy dealing with different thicknesses of materials. I prefer a screw-down clamp. Having some sort of clamp was essential.

I know you're thinking, 'Man, that is one fancy looking custom clamp - I bet that's expensive'.... But, no sir, that's just a broken c-clamp that I cut up. I routed an area in the base to accommodate the t-shaped end, so that it is now completely trapped.

The clamp works pretty well from about 1/4"-1" thick workpieces. It angles up quite a bit if you try to stick a 2X4 in there, and isn't very solid at that angle either. I could make a different clamp for thicker wood that should fit on this sled, but that wasn't exactly the point.

I like the clamp, though, as it holds the workpiece very well. You can't even rock the workpiece if you try.

I've got a project coming up where I need to cut some smaller pieces, so I'll give it a full test then.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pweller For This Useful Post:
juice3250 (05-02-2014), Murtu (01-16-2016), RobinDobbie (04-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode