Squeeze out control: bathroom reading... no not that kind of squeezout - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Squeeze out control: bathroom reading... no not that kind of squeezout

Awhile back I picked up several boxes of back issues of shop and woodworking magazines (total cost $1). One of them featured a reader-tip for squeeze-out when gluing up panels. This fellow folded masking tape over the edge, and then trimmed the tape flush on his jointer. After gluing, just pull the tape.

I'm hot to trot (no not that kind of trot) to buy a used jointer so haven't tried this yet myself.... but would if I could. Has anybody else given it a whirl(pool)? Should I flush this idea?

Thanks for comments.
Steve El
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-25-2012, 12:38 PM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Try it and let us know "how it comes out"
post #3 of 10 Old 08-25-2012, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
Anybody think it will "gum up the works" too bad? Not having tried it, I'd hate to mess up the machine once I get one in my used price range. I suppose I could experiment with an old straight router bit in the 3/4" jointer jig on my router table. Guess I'll be setting that up soon anyway for something else .... will post pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-25-2012, 02:17 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Couldn't you just put it along the edge like painters tape when painting a corner?
If I'm thinking about this right, it should work
post #5 of 10 Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM

View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
+1 on Big Joe's suggestion. I would just carefully tape the face edges and be done with it. Seems overkill to run it over a jointer and could dull/mess up your blades.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 03:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Folding tape over the edge of the board is going to make that edge wider than the rest of the board, as it it run through the jointer against the fence chances are the edge may no longer be perpendicular to the face of the board.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #7 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I see no need to do this on panel glue ups. I only do this when I am gluing up something that will be difficult to sand such as a corner or on a tenon or something that will make life a pain. To do it on a panel is just wasting tape and time. Glue up the panel, using the proper amount of glue to avoid excessive squeeze out in the first place. Let the glue dry for 45 minutes and use a glue scraper to remove the excess glue, sand as usual.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM

View BigJoe16's Photo Album My Photos
Another way of cleaning up extra glue is with a wet rag. When you clamp it all down, and get the beads of glue along the joint, get a rag good and wet and just wipe it away.
In my experience, you don't want the extra glue to dry on the good side that's going to be finished. It will leave a shinny spot anywhere it drys. Even with 4 coats of tung oil, it has a noticeably different shin to it.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced mistake maker

View schnitz's Photo Album My Photos
... And for the love of God, don't keep reefing on the clamps to further tighten it down every 5 minutes for the first hour. I had mass problems initially on my panel glue ups by doing that. Once I "set it and forgot it, my panels stayed flatter and were no where near as prone to breaking-- I also was a bit more sparing on the glue...

Turning good wood into designer firewood on a daily basis.....

I never plan my days. "Premeditated" is a word Lawyers love to toss around in courtrooms.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Joiner, member 150+Org.'s

View notmrjohn's Photo Album My Photos
Wet rag definatly, as joe sed. Been using one for 20 years, well, not the same rag, nothing works as well. Nothing. And, schnitz, overtightening those clamps squeezes out the glue, when you unclamp and pick up your panel, you got two boards again. The wet rag also comes in handy with that oth... well i think that belongs in some other forum.

Plumb outta square and off on a tangent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode