Router Fence Micro Adjuster - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Procrastinator (For now.)

View sweet willy's Photo Album My Photos
Router Fence Micro Adjuster

I just received a fence for my router table and today I made a micro adjuster for it based on an idea I stole from the internet. I think it's self-explanatory but I'll answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	micro adjuster1.jpg
Views:	1988
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	86694  

Name:	micro adjuster 2 .jpg
Views:	982
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	86695  

Name:	micro adjuster 3 .jpg
Views:	857
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	86696  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 08:40 AM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Is that a Hart Design (Hartville Tool) fence on your router table? I have that fence and am a little disappointed with it. It is a little difficult to kee[ square to the miter gauge track and the table in general. I have wanted a micro adjuster for it but do not see what help it is if the fence does not move square to the table.

Thanks

George
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by George G View Post
Is that a Hart Design (Hartville Tool) fence on your router table? I have that fence and am a little disappointed with it. It is a little difficult to kee[ square to the miter gauge track and the table in general. I have wanted a micro adjuster for it but do not see what help it is if the fence does not move square to the table.

Thanks

George
Hi George - why are you so concerned about the fence to miter track relationship? The router table is substantially different than a table saw in that respect because the cutting tool is rotating around a perpendicular rather than a horizontal axis. The only time it becomes important is if you are using the miter gauge in conjunction with the fence, not a good idea on a table saw either. For most cope cuts, where a miter gauge is tempting to use, I find a large push block or sled to be safer and more effective.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 09:48 AM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi George - why are you so concerned about the fence to miter track relationship?
I guess I am just being anal, I do not use a miter gauge on the router table. For cope cuts I use a coping sled which follows the fence not the miter slot.

George
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM

View jigs-n-fixtures's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by George G

Thanks

George
Your next "tool" purchase needs to be "Woodworking With The Router", by Hylton.

Your post shows that you need to better understand the way a router table works. There is no need for a miter slot in a router table.

Sleds that index off the front of the table, or the fence, tend to be more accurate, and in my opinion safer, than a miter slot.

The only purpose for a miter slot is to provide an attachment point for feather boards, and that can also be accomplished better with jigs clamped to the front of the table.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-11-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Procrastinator (For now.)

View sweet willy's Photo Album My Photos
Yes George, it is a Hart Design fence. I chose that fence because it has the ability to be made perpendicular to the table. I agree with the other guys that there is no reason to maintain parallel to the miter gauge track. In fact, if that was the case it would be impossible to have a micro adjuster on a router table.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode