Removing pallet wood without destroying the boards - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Custom Pallet Wood Pro

View craftedbyethan's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb Removing pallet wood without destroying the boards

Also see this and more at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...t-without.html

Hello all,

I have been working with pallets lately and I thought to myself “what if folks want to do this too?”

So I decided to share what I found to be the best way to remove a board from the pallet without destroying the pieces.

Step 1: Cut the boards off of the top of the pallet.

From the edges as close to the brace boards as possible, cut the top Boards (top because there are more boards on top usually) with a Laser Circular Saw or Hand Saw if you have none.

Step 2: Pry the board from the center brace.

Using a flat edge Crowbar or Heavy Duty Claw Hammer , remove the top boards from the pallet braces. Warning! too much force could break the boards and nails will be exposed when you remove the boards. Best to pull the nail out with a claw hammer and either set them aside for use (some are great for recycling in projects) or discard of them safely.

Step 3: Turn over the pallet and repeat Steps 1 and 2.

Step 4: Remove the stubs from the braces.

I found the braces to be useful so to remove the chopped stubs go ahead and hammer the stubs to break them from the side angle and then pull the nails for recycling or discarding.

Finished

After completion you should have a set of pallet boards that you can use to turn into just about anything.

See my latest pallet creations at:

Blogger:
http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...ycling-at.html

LumberJocks:

Blog = http://lumberjocks.com/craftedbyethan/blog/30975

Project = http://lumberjocks.com/projects/68601
The Following User Says Thank You to craftedbyethan For This Useful Post:
jharris2 (08-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 01:41 PM
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the tip.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
craftedbyethan (07-25-2012)
post #3 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM

View MC73's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftedbyethan View Post
Also see this and more at: http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...t-without.html

Hello all,

I have been working with pallets lately and I thought to myself “what if folks want to do this too?”

So I decided to share what I found to be the best way to remove a board from the pallet without destroying the pieces.

Step 1: Cut the boards off of the top of the pallet.

From the edges as close to the brace boards as possible, cut the top Boards (top because there are more boards on top usually) with a Laser Circular Saw or Hand Saw if you have none.

Step 2: Pry the board from the center brace.

Using a flat edge Crowbar or Heavy Duty Claw Hammer , remove the top boards from the pallet braces. Warning! too much force could break the boards and nails will be exposed when you remove the boards. Best to pull the nail out with a claw hammer and either set them aside for use (some are great for recycling in projects) or discard of them safely.

Step 3: Turn over the pallet and repeat Steps 1 and 2.

Step 4: Remove the stubs from the braces.

I found the braces to be useful so to remove the chopped stubs go ahead and hammer the stubs to break them from the side angle and then pull the nails for recycling or discarding.

Finished

After completion you should have a set of pallet boards that you can use to turn into just about anything.

See my latest pallet creations at:

Blogger:
http://blogspud.blogspot.com/2012/07...ycling-at.html

LumberJocks:

Blog = http://lumberjocks.com/craftedbyethan/blog/30975

Project = http://lumberjocks.com/projects/68601
Or use your Milwaukee saw with a metal blade and cut the nails.
Lot faster and cleaner.
Than I took one of the nails and push the nail heads out.
make sure no nails left and run it trough a planer.
I don't know what to do with the holes left from the nails. There are at least 8 ugly holes
Michael
The Following User Says Thank You to MC73 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM

View lray's Photo Album My Photos
awesome, thanks for that. i never have a plan when i do this and it takes forever. i'll def be using your method from now on!
The Following User Says Thank You to lray For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Custom Pallet Wood Pro

View craftedbyethan's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC73 View Post
Lot faster and cleaner.
Than I took one of the nails and push the nail heads out.
make sure no nails left and run it trough a planer.
I don't know what to do with the holes left from the nails. There are at least 8 ugly holes
Michael
Yes this is also another viable method, however, low budget wood workers don't usually have a wide selection of tools and blades to make this possible. I greatly appreciate your contribution!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC73 View Post

Michael
That is the problem I have run across. The pallet runners are oak but the nails have been cut off even when new boards were attached, thus rendering it useless. I learned the hard way that I need to look for newer, cleaner looking (as used just once) pallets to break down.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM

View Ryn0nTX's Photo Album My Photos
So most pallets are made from oak? I was looking at some really neat 'project ideas' from pallets and have wondered this. I was looking at a coffee table from pallets. Anything in particular I should look for when searching for the 'right one(s)'?

Oh...and where are the best places to grab them at? Nice table too! Really like that.

You can always check out the cool stuff Angel and I are working by going to our Etsy.com shop HERE... Let us know what you think
post #8 of 8 Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Joiner, member 150+Org.'s

View notmrjohn's Photo Album My Photos
RynOnTx, most pallets are not made of oak, especially the ones that somebody has tossed out. Soft woods are much more common. Pallets made from hardwoods are intended to be reused and there is often a deposit on them, so they tend to be returned to shipper. That's why you'll often see stacks of pallets behind warehouses and stores, they have not been tossed. They are just waiting for enuff to accumulate to make return more economical. don't take one of those in misguided attempt to recycle trash. Some localities have enacted specific laws concerning them, an individual pallet may not have much value, but pilfering adds up, so stiffer penalties are involved. Sorta like shopping cart laws.
There are three large pallett companies less than a mile from me. Stream of flat bed trailers loaded with nothing but used palletts going in. Pallets are repaired, refurbished, cannibalized, and redistributed. Semis going out loaded with them and new ones. Also folks with pickups stacked willy nilly above the cab driving down area streets, sometimes the pallets are even tied down. Authorities don't like dealing with details, so most laws include all pallets. Be real sure it is trash B4 taking one.

Plumb outta square and off on a tangent.

Last edited by notmrjohn; 09-05-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Tags
how to pallet board, pallet, pallet board dissasembly, pallet wood removal, removing pallet wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode