Well, big problem actually. My planer, an old delta model, decided on my last project "screw you, im gonna randomly cut deeper on one side so none of your panel glueups go right!". Well, i think it was my last project, although that does explain why my glueups always look funny... Anyway, measuring the difference in cut depth, i got about 1/32 difference in cut depth right to left. I thought of a few different ways to fix this:
1. Crank the head through its full range of motion, hope it self corrects - no dice
2. Consult the internet to see if people have had success dissassembling a planer and re-aligning the gear mechanism - ditto
3. Buy a new planer - considered, but then i remembered im poor
4. Curl into a ball and cry for a bit and hope the problem resolves itself - no luck, but my jointer did break
and finally 5. auxiliary bed made to be in plane with the cutter head
5 showed promise. Now, i imagine that a normal, intelligent, sane person would get a piece of something slick, some form of laminate mayhaps, set that on the bed and then use a series of carefully placed shims to bring everything in line.
I am none of those things.
I chose the easy, stupid route. I took a piece of 3/4 mdf, cut it to the same width of the bed, then sent it through the planer. Boom, now the top of the mdf was in plane with the cutterhead. Little hot glue and BAM:
One fixed planer, delivered right up. Now, a full 12 inch wide cut shows 1-2 thou difference in thickness side to side, and it barely took me 10 minutes. Added bonus, it took me all of 5 seconds to adjust the height gauge. I love that wixey readout!
Bonus shot of the back. Burb got a kick out of it the first time he saw my dust collection setup, I figured someone else would get a laugh. Pretty effective though