Mid size table saw crosscut panel sled - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Mid size table saw crosscut panel sled

The vast majority of what I cut daily is less than 12" wide x 30" long @ 90 degrees so I built this to replace my older mid size sled and upgrade it as well. I used 12mm and 18mm multi ply birch for everything to keep it as light as possible/stable and the fence is made from 2 pieces of 12mm glued together.

The UHMW single runner is set in a shallow dado and I used a Forstner bit to make the recessed ovals for the toilet bolts.

Since I cut many multiples of the same length and sometimes need to go back to that setting after cutting something else I added the Kreg flip stop again. I also added a handle and notched the fence so I could use it with the blade guard.

I made the fence adjustment set up from 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum angle and tapped threads for the set screw with lock nut (I put a screw in the fence under the set screw to keep it solid) which will make it easy to square or re-square if it gets bumped out of position.

I just need to cut off the toilet bolts, attach the other section of top track along with the tape measure, wax everything and square it up.

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 PM

View woodchux's Photo Album My Photos
Very unique and well thought out sled! Plan to review your sleds features and possibly incorporate them into my new sled. Thanks for sharing. Be safe.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks woodchux and hopefully you find some of my ideas useful! I finished it up tonight and I'm glad I added the micro fence adjustment as that made it quick/easy to square. Next I'm going to make a new "drop off" table and a new miter slot extension table like below so I can make wider cuts without having to pull out my much heavier full size sled (this one will cut up to about 20 inches but wants to tip when pulled back that far)

http://www.woodworkerssource.com/blo...scut-capacity/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-29-2015, 08:32 AM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for posting! I've been cutting a lot of big pieces of plywood for cabinets lately. These are some helpful ideas to keep me from some tough balancing acts!

Last edited by sanchez; 04-29-2015 at 08:33 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-29-2015, 11:33 AM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
I like the fence squaring jack a lot.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
Thanks for posting! I've been cutting a lot of big pieces of plywood for cabinets lately. These are some helpful ideas to keep me from some tough balancing acts!
You're welcome and glad you found some ideas useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidrah View Post
That only took about 5 minutes to make and I'm sure it saved me quite a bit of time during the squaring process!

I used this new sled all day yesterday and it works much better than the old one for what I do so it was well worth the time to make! (I only had to break out the larger sled for 2 cuts but I'll be making a new one of those soon with the same features as this one)

post #7 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Your fence system may prove to be valuable down the road with temp and moisture changes readjustments would be tons simpler.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #8 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

I agree as my other sleds have had the more typical solid wood fences screwed on from the bottom and were a pain to square as well as re calibrate when they warped or got knocked out of square.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

I just received an email saying my new mid size sled made it to the "Daily Top 3" projects and they placed a nice badge on my page.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/149410

post #10 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghidrah View Post
Me too!

Why one runner though?
post #11 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subroc View Post
Me too!

Why one runner though?
My first sled waaaay back when was a double runner of the typical design you see with a screwed on fence and a support in the rear to hold both halves together. It was a pain to square, I couldn't use it with my guard on, I made it 24" as per the plans but constantly found myself needing to cut 24" + and it was heavy as well as cumbersome. One day I saw "Norm" on TV using this basic panel sled that was just a piece of plywood with a solid wood fence and a single hardwood runner. It took me less time to make than it did to square up and I used it for over 20 years since it was way lighter, the open end allowed me to cut wider with a narrower sled, it was easier to get on/off the saw and I was able to use it with my guard/splitter. Recently I've been upgrading my old jigs/fixtures and making them a bit nicer as well as adding features I wanted like with this one.

post #12 of 12 Old 04-30-2015, 11:53 PM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
My first sled waaaay back when was a double runner of the typical design you see with a screwed on fence and a support in the rear to hold both halves together. It was a pain to square, I couldn't use it with my guard on, I made it 24" as per the plans but constantly found myself needing to cut 24" + and it was heavy as well as cumbersome. One day I saw "Norm" on TV using this basic panel sled that was just a piece of plywood with a solid wood fence and a single hardwood runner. It took me less time to make than it did to square up and I used it for over 20 years since it was way lighter, the open end allowed me to cut wider with a narrower sled, it was easier to get on/off the saw and I was able to use it with my guard/splitter. Recently I've been upgrading my old jigs/fixtures and making them a bit nicer as well as adding features I wanted like with this one.
Yeh, I watched some video on YouTube where Norm used that simple panel sled. I guess as I see more and more complex sleds with handles and complicated safety blocks it is easy to forget that sometimes simple/basic is just as effective.

Thanks for showing your sled.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode