Learning experiences - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dylan JC Buffum
  • 1 Post By DrRobert
  • 1 Post By FrankC

post #1 of 3 Old 10-14-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

View Dylan JC Buffum's Photo Album My Photos
Learning experiences

A thread to post your clever jigs that failed.

I was trying to make some small corner shelves this weekend, and spent most of the morning building this not-so-brilliant jig for my router table. The idea was to build a pivot that could be moved relative to the router bit, so as to give me an adjustable radius for use in different projects.

But what I didn't think through was that the pivot is not right at the corner of the workpiece, so the radius would not be constant. Starting the cut at the corner was fine, but as the piece turned, the cut gets deeper and deeper until you hit the mid point. Even if I was OK with a non-constant radius, the problem ended up being that as you cut the hand pressure needed to hold the piece in the jig got really high, and it ended up kicking the pice across the shop. (No injuries, I wear a face mask and keep my hands clear). It could still be used, if you started with very light cuts at the center, and worked your way out over many passes. But you end up with an ellipse, not a circle.

I ended up mounting the router on an arm, and making a pattern from OSB, and then using a pattern-maker's bit to do the curves (the photo is from afterward).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	379731  

mjadams61 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-14-2019, 09:50 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes we do get sucked in to a blackhole ;-). But we don't learn from successes more then we learn from mistakes, right?

A circle cutting jig with either a router or bandsaw would be my approach. If I wanted it perfect, I would make a pattern as per above, rough cut the pieces and finish with a pattern bit.
mjadams61 likes this.

Last edited by DrRobert; 10-14-2019 at 09:52 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-2019, 12:40 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Learning experience also teaches us which tools are best suited for a particular operation, sometimes using more than one is the way to go.
mjadams61 likes this.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode