Irwin pipe clamp modified for push/pull. - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Irwin pipe clamp modified for push/pull.

Bought the Irwin pipe clamp last summer, and disliked the fact that the adjustable end didn't screw on like the Pony and others do. Then the light bulb lit - I could modify it to push as well as pull. So, disassembly time. Picture 1 shows the locking mechanism on the adjustable end, similar to the other sliding end. #2 shows the disassembled clamp. The handle is just a press fit and a little work with a small hammer removes it. A roll pin holds the threaded screw to the movable face, and after driving it out with a pin punch, the clamp can be totally disassembled.

Picture 3 shows the top of the main casting being drilled with a step bit. A small pilot hole was drilled first, locating the center by eye. The part is cast iron, and drills easily. The step drill only opened it up to about 3/4", and a couple S&D drill bits got it to 1-3/32, still too small to fit over a 3/4" pipe. A bit of work with a half round file finished it to where it would smoothly slide over the pipe. Picture 4 shows the casting as drilled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	357905  

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	357913  

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	357921  

Name:	IMG_6312.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	357929  

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Clamp reassembled and shown in the "push" configuration. By reversing the clamps, it returns to the conventional style clamp. The original handle will not work in the "push" orientation; a 3/8" open end wrench adjusts it easily. Debating on attaching a 3/8" drive socket to the screw, to allow operation with a ratchet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6313.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	357937  

post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 03:50 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Irwin is not the only clamp that has that capability. I can change any of the pipe clamps that I have into the push configuration.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Irwin is not the only clamp that has that capability. I can change any of the pipe clamps that I have into the push configuration.

George
What kind of pipe clamps do you have?
How do you change this type into a push style?
Attached Images

post #5 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 08:59 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
The Pony deep reach clamps work much the same way. But the end with the pipe thread has a fixed part that can be turned around on the pipe and the other end has a big wing "nut" as part of the clamping screw since there is more clearance to the pipe. Maybe on your clamps you could drive the socket with an impact driver for fast pull up then switch to a ratchet? Or weld a bigger end on and put a slide bar thru it. Always ready to go.
I can't see how Alchymist's clamps can be turned since there is no clearance for the handle to turn. How is the handle attached?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry42 View Post
The Pony deep reach clamps work much the same way. But the end with the pipe thread has a fixed part that can be turned around on the pipe and the other end has a big wing "nut" as part of the clamping screw since there is more clearance to the pipe. Maybe on your clamps you could drive the socket with an impact driver for fast pull up then switch to a ratchet? Or weld a bigger end on and put a slide bar thru it. Always ready to go.
I can't see how Alchymist's clamps can be turned since there is no clearance for the handle to turn. How is the handle attached?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchymist View Post
Clamp reassembled and shown in the "push" configuration. By reversing the clamps, it returns to the conventional style clamp. The original handle will not work in the "push" orientation; a 3/8" open end wrench adjusts it easily. Debating on attaching a 3/8" drive socket to the screw, to allow operation with a ratchet.
Actually, I think I will take a piece of steel rod, slot one end, and pin it to the clamp screw. It can then be easily flipped over every half turn, or held straight out for fast adjusting.

Or perhaps just cross drill the end of the screw for a sliding handle like a tap handle.

post #7 of 11 Old 04-26-2018, 11:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post

George

My Pony 3/4" clamp adjuster is not reversible and will not slide down the pipe because it is threaded. This modification solves that issue.
The Irwin end is not threaded like the Pony, but it does make it easy to modify as shown above.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-26-2018 at 11:14 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-29-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Was looking things over yesterday in anticipation of adding a couple more pipe clamps to the collection for an upcoming project. Have a long piece of 3/4" pipe with one threaded end in use now, (about 8+ feet long), and was going to cut a couple feet off it and have it threaded for a new clamp, when I realized i didn't need to have it threaded - the Irwin clamp doesn't need threads on the pipe.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2018, 01:14 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
Pipe clamp options

We've got a lot of pipe clamps but never the right length. So I threaded all ends so we could use a coupling to add them together.

If you buy pipe, get the "extra heavy", if you've got employees. They like to see how over-tight they can get them and will bend the pipes.
Black pipe is available in 3 wall thicknesses.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry42 View Post
We've got a lot of pipe clamps but never the right length. So I threaded all ends so we could use a coupling to add them together.

If you buy pipe, get the "extra heavy", if you've got employees. They like to see how over-tight they can get them and will bend the pipes.
Black pipe is available in 3 wall thicknesses.
And when you buy couplers, use "conduit" rather than "pipe" couplers. They are not as bulky as regular pipe couplers
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 002.jpeg (23.0 KB, 62 views)

post #11 of 11 Old 05-13-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Update on the Irwin clamp

Finally resolved the handle issue - some rather crude machining, but it now has a swivel handle, with ability to tighten with a 1/4" ratchet if need be. The swivel handle does appear to furnish sufficient clamp pressure, as it is just slightly longer than the original handle length. The 1/4" socket was an import "spare", and the end of the handle turned for a light press fit and then pinned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6376.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	359770  

Name:	IMG_6378c.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	359778  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode