How can I take the chrome off of nuts & bolts - Page 3 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 60 Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM
Trytore Member
 
Shop Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,764
View Shop Dad's Photo Album My Photos
Years ago I knew someone who reportedly had a method for removing chrome from trailer hitches. I believe it was pneumatic but probably doesn't apply here.
Shop Dad is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shop Dad For This Useful Post:
ftk (09-13-2012), jharris2 (08-28-2012), mdntrdr (08-28-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 60 Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (Akron)
Posts: 371
View autre's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad View Post
Years ago I knew someone who reportedly had a method for removing chrome from trailer hitches. I believe it was pneumatic but probably doesn't apply here.

I would bet that it just might.

autre is offline  
post #43 of 60 Old 08-01-2012, 12:42 PM
ruiningprojects
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 389
View desertforest's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
There are various gun bluing and browning chemicals that would possibly suit your needs. Some are now being marketed to the woodworking community specifically for the purpose of artificially aging hardware.



Umm, frankly, the original poster has been borderline trolling the entire time she's been here at the forum.

Just saying.

i agree,
desertforest is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 60 Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10
View Jiroma's Photo Album My Photos
If the idea is to take the "new" off the nuts and bolts why not put them in the barbecue and burn them for a while, They will come out kinda black aged looking.
Safer than chemicals methinks.

Jiroma
Jiroma is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiroma For This Useful Post:
JBSmall (08-27-2012)
post #45 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,627
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Electrolysis is safer and you have more control than using acid. Just do a Google search and you will find several methods.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #46 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 05:59 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,992
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
what's up FrankC?

FrankC
Junior Member

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 12
My Photos


Electrolysis is safer and you have more control than using acid. Just do a Google search and you will find several methods.
__________________
FrankC
http://absolutelyfreeplans.com



What's with the link to "absolutelyfreeplans" ?? are you associated with this conglomeration of Google ad sites and such?
Full disclosure is a must here! Sounds a lot like spam, so fess up.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #47 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,627
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
FrankC
Junior Member

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 12
My Photos


Electrolysis is safer and you have more control than using acid. Just do a Google search and you will find several methods.
__________________
FrankC
http://absolutelyfreeplans.com



What's with the link to "absolutelyfreeplans" ?? are you associated with this conglomeration of Google ad sites and such?
Full disclosure is a must here! Sounds a lot like spam, so fess up.
Somebody pee in your cornflakes this morning?

Absolutely Free Plans has been a woodworking resource for years, how is offering someone advice to use a safer method spam?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #48 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 26,992
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I will ignore the rude and childish remark....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Somebody pee in your cornflakes this morning?

Absolutely Free Plans has been a woodworking resource for years, how is offering someone advice to use a safer method spam?
I looked over the link before posting my comment. All I saw was a bunch of Google ads....nothing about a "safer method" as you now proclaim. We usually don't allow links to be posted with a response until a member has an established history of informative replies. In your case the count was 12 at the time I posted.

You may be God's gift to woodworking...I donno?

But "FREE PLANS" mentioned on this site, brings up a plethora of irate responses from the members and results in the poster being "BANNED" .

I was simply asking what your association with the link http://absolutelyfreeplans.com was, and I still don't have a simple answer to that simple question. I'm sure other members would like to know also. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
woodnthings is online now  
post #49 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,627
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I looked over the link before posting my comment. All I saw was a bunch of Google ads....nothing about a "safer method" as you now proclaim. We usually don't allow links to be posted with a response until a member has an established history of informative replies. In your case the count was 12 at the time I posted.

You may be God's gift to woodworking...I donno?

But "FREE PLANS" mentioned on this site, brings up a plethora of irate responses from the members and results in the poster being "BANNED" .

I was simply asking what your association with the link http://absolutelyfreeplans.com was, and I still don't have a simple answer to that simple question. I'm sure other members would like to know also. bill
Don't twist the facts around, I never claimed there was anything about "a safer method" on Absolutely Free Plans, I suggested they Google and get information about it.

Absolutely Free Plans is a site that has been online for the last 15 years, I am the owner of it as well as several other woodworking sites, it does have ads on it, those ads pay to keep it online, they don't nearly come close to reimbursing me for the countless hours I put in finding links and answering visitors requests for free plans.

I have been involved with another forum for many years, it is now totally polluted with spam, I came here hoping to get away from that kind of crap.

Apparently that same kind of crap shows up here as well and I am now branded as part of it.

Perhaps some of you have at one time or another visited one of these sites, if you did I hope you got something from it.

http://benchnotes.com
http://sawdustmaking.com

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
FrankC is online now  
post #50 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Advanced mistake maker
 
schnitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wausau, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,231
View schnitz's Photo Album My Photos
At least it's not a direct link to Ted's....

Turning good wood into designer firewood on a daily basis.....

I never plan my days. "Premeditated" is a word Lawyers love to toss around in courtrooms.
schnitz is offline  
post #51 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Boss O' The Shop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 193
View Boss O' The Shop's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Perhaps some of you have at one time or another visited one of these sites, if you did I hope you got something from it.

http://benchnotes.com
http://sawdustmaking.com
I have and I did. Thanks!

  
"The more I know people, the more I like my tools."

One man's journey to build a woodshop, one rusty piece of junk at a time.
Boss O' The Shop is offline  
post #52 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM
DST
Senior Member
 
DST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 885
View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Pretty sure the OP has disappeared from the forum

happily making big boards into littler boards
DST is offline  
post #53 of 60 Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I wood if I could.
 
Chaincarver Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,976
View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DST View Post
Pretty sure the OP has disappeared from the forum
By force, only to remerge under various names then purged again. I wonder who she (or he) is now. Perhaps the future will reveal another iteration. Hopefully not.
Chaincarver Steve is offline  
post #54 of 60 Old 08-28-2012, 12:01 AM
DST
Senior Member
 
DST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 885
View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve

By force, only to remerge under various names then purged again. I wonder who she (or he) is now. Perhaps the future will reveal another iteration. Hopefully not.
Thank you board ops, censors and chaperones

happily making big boards into littler boards
DST is offline  
post #55 of 60 Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Senior Member
 
jharris2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,339
View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shop Dad
Years ago I knew someone who reportedly had a method for removing chrome from trailer hitches. I believe it was pneumatic but probably doesn't apply here.
LMAO! You get a gold star!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
jharris2 is offline  
post #56 of 60 Old 08-28-2012, 02:09 AM
DST
Senior Member
 
DST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 885
View DST's Photo Album My Photos
Shop Dad
You should have to remove the Dad from your name for posts like that.
Lol.
Bet the OP qualifies though
DST is offline  
post #57 of 60 Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Old School
 
cabinetman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: So. Florida
Posts: 24,027
View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
Don't twist the facts around, I never claimed there was anything about "a safer method" on Absolutely Free Plans, I suggested they Google and get information about it.

Absolutely Free Plans is a site that has been online for the last 15 years, I am the owner of it as well as several other woodworking sites, it does have ads on it, those ads pay to keep it online, they don't nearly come close to reimbursing me for the countless hours I put in finding links and answering visitors requests for free plans.

I have been involved with another forum for many years, it is now totally polluted with spam, I came here hoping to get away from that kind of crap.

Apparently that same kind of crap shows up here as well and I am now branded as part of it.

Perhaps some of you have at one time or another visited one of these sites, if you did I hope you got something from it.

http://benchnotes.com
http://sawdustmaking.com
Frank...I wouldn't get too upset over some remarks that aren't well founded. Maybe he pissed in his own cornflakes. Anyway, your woodworking sites are very comprehensive, and your contributions on another site that I visit have been educated responses and spot on.

So, excuse the chastisement for a "free plan" anything, as we have had some new members with innovative skills masking their real intention. Hopefully you continue to take interest in this forum, as I liked reading your advice.





.
cabinetman is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (08-28-2012)
post #58 of 60 Old 09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Paul W Gillespie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Posts: 1,183
View Paul W Gillespie's Photo Album My Photos
Emma went to Lumber Jocks

Dear sweet Emma, took her particular brand of internet fun over to LumberJocks. Where she basically did the same thing she did here. Entranced all the guys at first with her female wood working charm and photos, then started with the crazy posts. They are finally catching on to her act.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
By force, only to remerge under various names then purged again. I wonder who she (or he) is now. Perhaps the future will reveal another iteration. Hopefully not.
Paul W Gillespie is offline  
post #59 of 60 Old 09-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I wood if I could.
 
Chaincarver Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lakeland, Florida
Posts: 3,976
View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W Gillespie View Post
Dear sweet Emma, took her particular brand of internet fun over to LumberJocks. Where she basically did the same thing she did here. Entranced all the guys at first with her female wood working charm and photos, then started with the crazy posts. They are finally catching on to her act.
Am I the only one who saw through her very early on?
Chaincarver Steve is offline  
post #60 of 60 Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio (Akron)
Posts: 371
View autre's Photo Album My Photos
Nope.
autre is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to autre For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (09-13-2012), JBSmall (09-13-2012)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Todays 'Red Chrome' Slimline Chrome Woodturning 4 07-16-2012 10:51 PM
Enhancing mortise/tenon joint with nuts and bolts? yankleber Joinery 27 02-13-2012 11:14 AM
nuts and bolts-storage kesjc General Woodworking Discussion 18 12-22-2007 11:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome