Horizontal Router Table Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
Horizontal Router Table Help

Hi, I'm still kind of new here and really like this forum. You people have some good ideas. Does anyone have a horizontal router table or have you used one? I am building all the cabinets and setting up my new shop and will be making my own design of a horizontal router in the fence of my radial arm saw. I was wondering if anyone had some advise. This is the only one I have seen so far. I was thinking of making everything myself and not sure about the metal uprights. Could they be made from some hardwood or does anyone have a simple idea for metal.

Thanks
Richard Brown

albertooredelpino likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
The only thing that comes to me mind is to ask why you would want a horizontal table?

G
post #3 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
A very simple one can be made from all wood structural parts. Here's an example:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
The only thing that comes to me mind is to ask why you would want a horizontal table?

G
Much safer and more accurate than standing wide stock on edge. Donít stand stock on edge! The new multiple routing operation Horizontal Router Table makes tall auxiliary fences, multiple featherboards or jigs UNNECESSARY. I could buy the one at the link below but if I build my own in the same cabinet and fence for my Radial Arm saw it saves space.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ter_table.html
post #5 of 24 Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Cabinetman thank you for that answer, I thought wood would be good enough but since you already have one built it is confirmed. Let me ask you this how do you like it? Does it really make things easier?
post #6 of 24 Old 03-29-2009, 02:29 PM

View char's Photo Album My Photos
Why have a horizontal router table if you can't do shapes like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0661.jpg
Views:	1989
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	8073  

post #7 of 24 Old 03-29-2009, 11:20 PM

View Bob Wingard's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post
Hey char .. .. I got ahold of your friend John and inquired about his "Router-Mate" jig. He's out on the road right now and said he'll get back to me when he returns .. he sent me that exact same picture along with a cope & stick joint he did with his jig. He's got my curiosity up now, and I'm wondering what this thing might look like .. .. got any pics you can send me ?? either here or in a private email ??
post #8 of 24 Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by char View Post

Ok I post a question and you post a question, doesn't seem very productive. The reason I wanted this type of router is because the bits or cheaper and the set up easier and safer. At least thats my opinion based on what I have heard and read on it so far. If you have a better idea or if you have something that I might be interested in then lets hear it or better yet lets see it. That is what this forum is about right.

Last edited by rrbrown; 03-30-2009 at 12:37 PM.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 PM

View char's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry RRbrown, I was only trying to point out, that if you're going to spend money, spend it wisely. Can you or anyone else create a panel like my picture on a horizontal or vertical router table? and still be safe, I don't think so. Only trying to help fellow woodworkers John at [email protected] is writing a book on handheld router use, so everyone can injoy the lost art. You did not hear this from me, Sorry again and have a wonderful day
post #10 of 24 Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Hey Char,

All I ment was if you are going to post when someone ask a question then say what you have to offer. If you have a jig that does great stuff and you got it from someone that is writting a book then say so. If you think they are crazy and their Idea is wrong then say so and say why. That way it keeps the thread productive.

If I came across the wrong way I apologize.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
The horizontal router table looks like a great idea for certain applications. It would be nice to see directly how your cut is going. The one that Cabinetman shows looks like a pretty easy build.

Gerry
post #12 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 04:11 PM

View Midiean's Photo Album My Photos
I think this is more for a cabnitry shop that speciallizes in flat cuts. It definately is a neat idea, but limited in use. after watching the very short demo videos on the site, you can see that he is routing out cabnet door frame and middle flat board. It could also be useful for molding, but a feather board would probably still be a good idea to have.
post #13 of 24 Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Richard, How's progress?

I found a link that you might appreciate on Horizontal and vertical router tables/stands. There is also sort of radial router gizmo that I thought was cool here's the link: http://www.linssuv.com/router.htm#verticalroutertable
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 24 Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM

View Midiean's Photo Album My Photos
I like the idea of the router mill, much cheaper than buying the cnc router mill for certain. I wish i had the room in my garage to put one together. Though, one could put it straight on top of a work bench and bolt it down for it's usage period and then take it off and slide it away till needed again. Maintenance on it should be easy, just keep the pipes greased for good sliding and the platform waxed.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinetman.....

Where did you get the metal router base plate?

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #16 of 24 Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
where's my table saw?

I suspect that cabinetman didn't make that one

Could be wrong, but the same photo shows up on this link:
http://www.linssuv.com/router.htm Fig. 7 bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #17 of 24 Old 05-10-2009, 06:59 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks Bill

I have some 1/4 " Lexan laying around, I'll probably use it. Many years ago I built a horizontal router table and I used it mostly for mortising. Mine was different. It pivoted on one corner and kinda swung up in an arc type movcement. It workd pretty well, but I'll try this design this time.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
post #18 of 24 Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM
where's my table saw?

Tony B Is this what you built?

This link shows a table that moves instead of moving the router. Sort of Rick and Bob turned 90 degrees! Those are the "Router Workshop" Guys.
http://finewoodworking.taunton.com/i...l-router-table bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 05-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
No Longer Here

Hey Bill my router table was sidelined because of a small fire in the shop (youngest son), fund raising for my daughters school, and a whole host of things that I have no control over. I hope to get back on track later this week. I will post pictures of my progress which will include cabinets to mount the RAS on and possibly 2 router tables (regular and horizontal) all in on unit.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Could be wrong, but the same photo shows up on this link:
http://www.linssuv.com/router.htm Fig. 7 bill

To clear up your suspicions, you are correct, I didn't make that one. The question was asked about making a horizontal router assembly with hardwood, and I used the picture saying "Here's an example".

If the post specified "one you have made", I wouldn't have used that picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode