homemade table saw extension rip fence question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

View tino86's Photo Album My Photos
homemade table saw extension rip fence question

I purchased this skil table saw a month a go at lowes for $70

http://www.skiltools.com/en/AllTools...ml?pid=3305-01

It works fine for most of my needs but I would really like to rip wider than the 12 or so inches the stock table allows. After some googling I was dissappointed to learn that there is no add-on side extension for this model so I am going to have to make one.

The problem comes in that the fence locks into a profile cast into the edge of the table and not a rail like some table saws have. Here is a picture of the edge profile

http://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMC.../r03606v18.jpg

Just for test purposes i was able to cut that profile in a scrap piece of wood but i think some sort of metal solution would last longer and be more accurate.

Does some sort of extruded metal exist that is in that profile? Or has anyone built an extension for a similar saw?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Hi Tino

The only suggestion I can make is to google "Skil" and see if they carry accessories for your table saw.

Gerry
post #3 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM

View daryl in nanoose's Photo Album My Photos
Another thought, get a older one with the same profile and attach it to your new extentions. My old skill looks like the same fench you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Hi Tino

The only suggestion I can make is to google "Skil" and see if they carry accessories for your table saw.

Gerry
Hry Gerry, enjoying the weather up the road there LOL BURRRRRRRRRRRRdown here and over a foot in a half YIPES and more coming
post #5 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM
Nobody

View BHOFM's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think this is much help, but I am trying.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/S...t/195?RefID=CJ

post #6 of 24 Old 12-20-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

i grabbed a sheet of 3/4 MDF at home depot along with several pieces of extruded aluminum (corners and flats) played around with everything to see what combination would work best. seems like the fence will clamp just fine onto anything with a 90deg edge.. so im just going to attach some 3/4 inch aluminum corner onto the front and back edges of the table extension I ripped. I made a fold down leg with some leveling feet that screw into threaded inserts in the bottom.

I figured while im at it I may make a pop out panel in the top where i can drop in my plunge router. Since the table extension i made is 3 feet long should give it enough room plus it can use the fence too.

Now i just need to come up with some sort of outfeed support and a crosscut sled
post #7 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl in nanoose View Post
Hry Gerry, enjoying the weather up the road there LOL BURRRRRRRRRRRRdown here and over a foot in a half YIPES and more coming
Yea, I figured you guys got a lot more snow than we did. We have about seven inches, but the wind is howling through here now, and I think there is going to be some serious drifting.

Gerry
post #8 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tino86 View Post
i grabbed a sheet of 3/4 MDF at home depot along with several pieces of extruded aluminum (corners and flats) played around with everything to see what combination would work best. seems like the fence will clamp just fine onto anything with a 90deg edge.. so im just going to attach some 3/4 inch aluminum corner onto the front and back edges of the table extension I ripped. I made a fold down leg with some leveling feet that screw into threaded inserts in the bottom.

I figured while im at it I may make a pop out panel in the top where i can drop in my plunge router. Since the table extension i made is 3 feet long should give it enough room plus it can use the fence too.

Now i just need to come up with some sort of outfeed support and a crosscut sled
Take some pics of this, would like to see it
post #9 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry KIERNAN View Post
Yea, I figured you guys got a lot more snow than we did. We have about seven inches, but the wind is howling through here now, and I think there is going to be some serious drifting.

Gerry
ONLY 7 INCHES we got all tgeather about a 1-1/2ft plus another 4" last night.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 01:59 PM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know how crazy you want to get with this, but Norm built a table saw station (#9908 on New Yankee). It is really nice. I bought the plan when I saw it. I had bought a Craftsman saw like the saw you have when I first started. It allows you to cut stock up to about 32" wide. You match the height of the table to the height of the saw table, and bolt the saw in the hole. There is a plan for a fence included with it for the new part of the table. You might check that out and see if that would work for you. I still have it if you would like to see a pic.

Last edited by AZ Termite; 12-21-2008 at 02:04 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

its funny you mention that because last night i was also looking to build a new workbench and was thinking it would be nice to have one where the table saw would drop in and then use a better fence system than the stock one. Also have it be a drop in router table to use the same fence.

But for now i have to extend my table saw the best i can so that it becomes a more useful tool to build bigger and better things :)

Could you post up a link to the plans or any photos?
post #12 of 24 Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct?9908

This is the link to the table saw station. If this does not answer the question I can send you a pic of the one I built.
post #13 of 24 Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know if this will help at all, but when the "T" square fences first came out they were expensive. So a buddy and I decided to try to make one with standard materials. Below is a rough drawing of what it looked like to the best of my memory.

post #14 of 24 Old 12-22-2008, 11:31 AM

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
I used a piece of aluminum angle and secured my fence to it then mounted the aluminum to MDF. I now have a sturdy fence. With the extension table I can easily cut 4x8 sheets. The new base makes it sturdy enough to handle large sheets.

Here is a picture:http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/f...N/DSC00717.jpg

My saw on a budget

O.K. Santa I've been good

RLH
post #15 of 24 Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

where did you get that fence and rail? does that fence require a back rail or just the front one?
post #16 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM

View RLHERRON's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tino86 View Post
where did you get that fence and rail? does that fence require a back rail or just the front one?
Fortunate, a friend gave me the fence. It did require a back rail which I also mounted to the aluminum angel.

If I had not got the fence for free I would have just bought a new contractors saw for 4-$700. A stable saw with a good fence and blade are basic essentials you need to work safely and accurately reguardless of what your doing.

RLH
post #17 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Outstanding work. Now you got me thinking.. That's dangerous..
post #18 of 24 Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
tino86 You might as well build and outfeed table and a side wing all together. You will be needing one of those to.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #19 of 24 Old 12-26-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

well I ended up ordering this folding extension table today... $129 + $8.99 shipping from toolbarn.com. Comes with a larger rip fence too it got some good reviews on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/SKIL-80092-Fol...pr_product_top
post #20 of 24 Old 12-27-2008, 12:33 PM

Glad you came up with a solution. Hope it works well for you.

Tags
extension, rip fence, skil, table saw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode