Dovetail Template - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmishElectricCo

post #1 of 3 Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

View Johan Em's Photo Album My Photos
Question Dovetail Template

Iím relatively new in the game, and i have a lot to learn. I have just made my first finger joint box, but I'm very curious about mastering the dovetail, with router.
The jigs seems very good, but the are expensive..

Anyone have a CAD file or similar to share of a dovetail template I would be very grateful!
My plan is to get a cad file (or similar), and get my local shop CNC cut them for me.

Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-19-2020, 11:25 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Em View Post
Iím relatively new in the game, and i have a lot to learn. I have just made my first finger joint box, but I'm very curious about mastering the dovetail, with router.
The jigs seems very good, but the are expensive..

Anyone have a CAD file or similar to share of a dovetail template I would be very grateful!
My plan is to get a cad file (or similar), and get my local shop CNC cut them for me.

Thanks a lot
I am confused by your post. It seems to me that paying a CNC shop to make dovetails for you would be expensive. Before long, you would have given more money to the CNC shop compared with buying your own dovetail jig and router. The travel time, coordination, and chances of error would be other reasons to avoid paying a CNC shop.

Dovetail jigs vary in ease of setup, the kinds of joints they can make, and flexibility in spacing (or not). Sometimes it comes down to the quality and understandability of the user manual.

I just looked on my local Craigslist, and there are several used Porter-Cable and Craftsman dovetail jigs selling for around $50 each. Leigh jigs cost a lot more.

There are other ways to make dovetail joints. Some people cut them by hand with marking gauges, hand saws, and chisels. I have also heard of people who make them with a table saw or router table. I have seen a few oddball dovetail jigs that defy categorization, too.

My guess is that for most home woodworkers, the router and dovetail jig combination are the most popular. I would find one that you like and use it, rather than paying a CNC shop.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 PM

View AmishElectricCo's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with @Tool Agnostic...

Machine shops batch out parts in large numbers. But that's after someone has designed the part in CAD and then ported the design to work with the CNC software. This route is going to be much more expensive for you. Not only will you have to pay for the design work, but you're paying for the shop time lost to shut down a production part for a one-off. Source: used to work in a machine shop.

There are many different options out there. Dovetail jigs can be found for hand tools, routers, and table saws. The base Porter Cable dovetail jig (router) is only about $120 new.
Tool Agnostic likes this.

⚡ Anthony

Tags
dovetail, template

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode