Coin/money slot - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
ruiningprojects

View desertforest's Photo Album My Photos
Coin/money slot

Greetings, woodworkers. I made a small box for a fundraiser so they can put coins and bills in. The box is sealed and will not have a lid cut into it. Sides are made from soft wood i had from a previous project, and the face is lauan plywood. My question is what is the best way to cut the slot on the soft wood as i forgot to cut it before i glued the box together. Should i cut it with the straight 1/4" bit on the router? I am going to attach a brass slot over it, but i still want it to look decent. Thanks in advance.

Don't Feed the Trolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2015, 01:18 AM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
I think a router is the way to go of a straight uniform slot. You could also get decent results from a jigsaw.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 AM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertforest View Post
Greetings, woodworkers. I made a small box for a fundraiser so they can put coins and bills in. The box is sealed and will not have a lid cut into it. Sides are made from soft wood i had from a previous project, and the face is lauan plywood. My question is what is the best way to cut the slot on the soft wood as i forgot to cut it before i glued the box together. Should i cut it with the straight 1/4" bit on the router? I am going to attach a brass slot over it, but i still want it to look decent. Thanks in advance.
use a 1/4" router bit, i have done many of them, make it big enough for we say 1/2 dollar size for bills to go thro , what i would do if it is big enough to cut off the bottom , than put it back on with screw's , so it can be taken apart, now to hide the screw's put the felt button's on their to cover the screw's and keep from scrathing a table top ? i use them all the time, i make box's and basket's and use the felt pads, box stores have them, but i buy on line like 30 package's at a time, i use lot's of them at different size's. good luck it was mention about a jig saw, i havent seen one cut a streight cut in wood yet , not my tool, i gave mine away, use router or a scroll saw eather will work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
ruiningprojects

Thank you. My jigsaw seized up recently and i haven't replaced it. I will use the router bit. Del, i had planned on keeping the bottom off and using the screws, but in my poor planning, i added glue to all the edges and realized this after i clamped it up. Ok, thank you for your replies.

Don't Feed the Trolls.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertforest View Post
Thank you. My jigsaw seized up recently and i haven't replaced it. I will use the router bit. Del, i had planned on keeping the bottom off and using the screws, but in my poor planning, i added glue to all the edges and realized this after i clamped it up. Ok, thank you for your replies.
I'm curious, how do you plan on getting the cash out after the fundraiser now?

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 6 Old 01-25-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
ruiningprojects

Epic, i plan to router the slot a little wider to allow the money out and then cover it with a coin slot plate.

Don't Feed the Trolls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode