Center finder jig
I got sick of trying to measure to find the center of a piece of stock, so I made a jig to mark the center of any piece of wood. Here is how I did it:
- Take a short piece of scrap. I used a piece about 4" long.
- Drill a hole in it, using a fence and another scrap as a sacrificial landing zone.
- Go far enough into the 2nd piece that a pin put through the top one will also go into the lower piece securely.
- The hole in the sacrificial piece becomes the reference.
- Move the sacrificial piece a little distance from the bit, still against the fence. I moved mine about 1 1/2".
- Put a pin throught the top piece into the hole in the sacrificial piece.
- Hold it against the fence and drill the next hole.
- Move it one more time, this time putting the through the 2nd hole.
- Drill the 3rd hole. Now they are the same distance apart.
- Put pins in the two outer holes, and a nail in the center hole.
Last edited by Chris Curl; 03-28-2013 at 07:26 AM.