cabinet doors do not close with or without replacement hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

View lvduke's Photo Album My Photos
cabinet doors do not close with or without replacement hinges

Our kitchen and bath cabinets are maple with a maple stain, about 20 years old. Generally the wood and stain on all are in very good condition. Recently some of the cabinet doors will not close completely mainly the 2 & 3 ft. doors. When you let the hinges close the door it swings mostly shut and stops. When you push the door closed, it springs back open about 1 inch and stops ajar. Learned early on that the hinges were defective and have been replacing them as they failed with the recommended replacement brand. None of these doors appear to be warped. I have installed magnetic closers on some of the smaller doors - they work - but my wife does not like the way she has to pull them open. And I am not certain that this type of closer will fully close our many 4 ft doors. I also routinely check the tightness of the hinges screws and door alignment with its opposite.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 02:21 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvduke View Post
Our kitchen and bath cabinets are maple with a maple stain, about 20 years old. Generally the wood and stain on all are in very good condition. Recently some of the cabinet doors will not close completely mainly the 2 & 3 ft. doors. When you let the hinges close the door it swings mostly shut and stops. When you push the door closed, it springs back open about 1 inch and stops ajar. Learned early on that the hinges were defective and have been replacing them as they failed with the recommended replacement brand. None of these doors appear to be warped. I have installed magnetic closers on some of the smaller doors - they work - but my wife does not like the way she has to pull them open. And I am not certain that this type of closer will fully close our many 4 ft doors. I also routinely check the tightness of the hinges screws and door alignment with its opposite.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
More than likely the wood part of the doors are hitting the cabinet somewhere causing it to stop. Without knowing the door style and the type of hinges you have it wouldn't be possible to suggest a solution. Do the doors lay flat over the opening or do they have a 3/8" lip which partially goes into the cabinet. Have you checked to see if the face cabinet is still flat?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 03:37 PM

View danrush's Photo Album My Photos
Is it possible to post a picture of a door and a hinge? Might help with diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

View lvduke's Photo Album My Photos
I checked for the doors rubbing or striking the frame and found none did.

The doors lie flat against the facing frame surface.

Brand new to forum site; do not know how to post pics here.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 06:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvduke View Post
I checked for the doors rubbing or striking the frame and found none did.

The doors lie flat against the facing frame surface.

Brand new to forum site; do not know how to post pics here.
If you are using a computer click on the paper clip icon and follow the instructions.

If you have decorative hinges sometimes the hinges just bend a little and don't close right. The solution is usually to just bending the back into shape. If that is the hinge you have you could put something about 1/4" thick under the hinge side of the door and force the door almost closed.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Photos would help. A lot.

We do not have much useful information about the cabinet, the doors, or the hinges. The fact that @lvduke lets "the hinges close the door [until] it swings mostly shut and stops" makes me wonder whether these are hidden "euro hinges."

Last edited by Tool Agnostic; 02-12-2019 at 11:53 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the early Blum euro style hinges, they had a plastic tab that would break off, causing the door to hang open slightly. Replaced a lot of them over the years. The new hinge has the two smaller holes that secure it to the door in a different spot. Have to drill New blind holes, not a big deal.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode