Box joint jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 39 Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
I wood if I could.

View Chaincarver Steve's Photo Album My Photos
Box joint jig

I expressed interest in making a box joint jig a little while back when Taylormade pointed me towards a plan in ShopNotes Mag (I believe that's where it was). I finally printed the plans and built the thing this weekend.

The jig consists of a sled and 5 separate detachable fences that bolt onto the sled's fixed fence. The detachable fences are set up for the five most common box joint sizes: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4". Each has an adjustment screw on the upper left side (when viewed from the user position) that allows for fine tuning. Then, in theory, whenever you attach that fence again onto the sled it should be at the same dialed-in setting it was before.

Here's the sled with the 3/4" fence attached. This would not be used with the blade seen in the picture, of course. The appropriate dado stack would be in place.

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_21-49-44_20.jpg

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_21-49-50_19.jpg

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_21-49-57_339.jpg

And here's the other fences. The other fences are not "grooved" and tweaked yet. This is done, by the way, with the inserts OFF. Then once it is fine tuned the inserts go on and are notched at the final setting. I also cut a stack of extra inserts.

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_21-54-38_101.jpg

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_21-54-47_901.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
I wood if I could.

I did test and try to fine tune the 3/4" fence. The scrap I tested with is 3/4" thick and reveals that I may have my key slightly off square. Once I correct that I may have to tweak the positioning screw just a hair and, with luck, it should produce a pretty good joint.

I am rather dissatisfied, however, with the performance of my dado stack. I've used it before with decent results. But when trying to cut 3/4" box joints... man, look how crappy the bottoms of the dadoes are. Not flat at all. I don't understand why they would make a dado stack with cutters that gouge the corners so deeply instead of leaving a flat bottom. Sucks.

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_23-10-10_954.jpg

Box joint jig-2012-02-26_23-10-23_387.jpg
post #3 of 39 Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM

View del schisler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve View Post
I did test and try to fine tune the 3/4" fence. The scrap I tested with is 3/4" thick and reveals that I may have my key slightly off square. Once I correct that I may have to tweak the positioning screw just a hair and, with luck, it should produce a pretty good joint.

I am rather dissatisfied, however, with the performance of my dado stack. I've used it before with decent results. But when trying to cut 3/4" box joints... man, look how crappy the bottoms of the dadoes are. Not flat at all. I don't understand why they would make a dado stack with cutters that gouge the corners so deeply instead of leaving a flat bottom. Sucks.

Attachment 39623

Attachment 39624
they do make a dado that is flat. Frued come's to mind ? here is the link their may be other that will do the job but freud is a good product http://www.freudtools.com/p-315-pro-dado-set.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to del schisler For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (02-27-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM

View Murphy's Law's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight at all (all Chinese crap) but one day I was in a real bind and HAD to stop at HF to see if they had an 8" dado set for my TS. Sure enough they had a Lifetime 8" carbide dado set for $49. I grabbed it and quickly drove the 40 mi. back to my shop in an effort to get back on schedule. I have used it for almost 2 years now and it's one of the best I have. It stays sharp and the bottoms are perfect (as near as any I have ever had).

I make bee hives each year in late winter and in 2011 I made 200 "supers" (another name for bee hive boxes) which relates to approx. 8,000 fingers. These past two months I have made 150 supers or 6,000 fingers. I just sent the HF dado set off to be sharpened after approx. 14,000 threequarter inch fingers in pine.

I still stay away from HF. I think it's the American thing to do. How can we expect to make America strong again if we buy Chinese garbage?
post #5 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 07:34 AM

View Lostinwoods's Photo Album My Photos
I believe the nature of the way dado blades are made is always going to leave 'bat-wings' of some degree. For a truly flat dado for box joints this will work I've heard (haven't order mine yet but check the reviews)...alas you have to make multiple passes to cut more than 3/8".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ASGV1E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #6 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Splinters

View Pauley's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law
I'm not a fan of Harbor Freight at all (all Chinese crap) but one day I was in a real bind and HAD to stop at HF to see if they had an 8" dado set for my TS. Sure enough they had a Lifetime 8" carbide dado set for $49. I grabbed it and quickly drove the 40 mi. back to my shop in an effort to get back on schedule. I have used it for almost 2 years now and it's one of the best I have. It stays sharp and the bottoms are perfect (as near as any I have ever had).

I make bee hives each year in late winter and in 2011 I made 200 "supers" (another name for bee hive boxes) which relates to approx. 8,000 fingers. These past two months I have made 150 supers or 6,000 fingers. I just sent the HF dado set off to be sharpened after approx. 14,000 threequarter inch fingers in pine.

I still stay away from HF. I think it's the American thing to do. How can we expect to make America strong again if we buy Chinese garbage?
Normally, I would agree with buying American, but some of us, myself included, just can not afford the better items and have to purchase some foreign products, because of the cost.....

Author: The Other Casualty Of War
post #7 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
Normally, I would agree with buying American, but some of us, myself included, just can not afford the better items and have to purchase some foreign products, because of the cost.....
Many sons and daughters have given their life for our country but others won't even pay a couple of dollars to save it.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Splinters

Quote:
Many sons and daughters have given their life for our country but others won't even pay a couple of dollars to save it.
I'm a 100 percent disabled Vietnam vet. Served three tours, but did not get to complete it cause I was sent home. what is wrong with me wanting to save a couple of bucks? I already tried saving a country, and got no thanks for it. I do take offense to your statement.....

Last edited by Pauley; 03-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pauley For This Useful Post:
Bleedinblue (03-12-2014), Icutone2 (07-11-2012), smokey1945 (03-13-2012)
post #9 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 07:29 PM

View rayc's Photo Album My Photos
Angry

Pauly i feel your pain, im canadian and have never been in a war. I agree murphs reply was not right????
The Following User Says Thank You to rayc For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (03-10-2012)
post #10 of 39 Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauley View Post
I do take offense to your statement.....
I'm sorry if you take offense to my opinion.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Splinters

Quote:
I'm sorry if you take offense to my opinion.
You can keep your apology. I fought so people like you can spout their opinions. So go ahead, wave your flag and buy American (unless your in a bind, then become un-American) and be the patriot that keeps this and other countries free, if that is what you think it means.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pauley For This Useful Post:
johnjf0622 (03-12-2012)
post #12 of 39 Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaincarver Steve

Steve

The joint is fine. We are the only ones that even know its there. Don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes I think we need to put the micrometer in the drawer and enjoy what we have built.

Shoot dad I use a wobble dato and nobody has ever ever even noticed the bottom of my dato. It has a million teeth and makes a great cut and I will never go back to a stack again.

Al

Friends don't let friends use Craftsman. :)

The Following User Says Thank You to Al B Thayer For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (03-12-2012)
post #13 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
This is a pretty slick setup... where did you get those plans from?

Fabian

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
I wood if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrgyle View Post
This is a pretty slick setup... where did you get those plans from?

Fabian
The plan is from an old issue of ShopNotes Magazine.
post #15 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
The plan is from an old issue of ShopNotes Magazine.

Do you know which issue Steve. I have a ton of them but you could really save me some time if I knew which one. Beautiful job on the jig buddy.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #16 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I expressed interest in making a box joint jig a little while back when Taylormade pointed me towards a plan in ShopNotes Mag (I believe that's where it was). I finally printed the plans and built the thing this weekend.
That is a great setup and good job making them. I sure would like to get a copy of those plans. Is there any way you can post or send them? Moderators, would that be against the rules?? Thanks
post #17 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
I wood if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
Do you know which issue Steve. I have a ton of them but you could really save me some time if I knew which one. Beautiful job on the jig buddy.
Sorry about that. I didn't mean to be evasive or leave you guy's hanging in that last post. When I last responded I didn't have the information handy and I meant to get back to you guys.

The plan is in ShopNotes issue #62, pages 6-13.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chaincarver Steve For This Useful Post:
Alchymist (07-11-2012), Kenbo (03-13-2012), thegrgyle (03-14-2012)
post #18 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
I have that issue. Seems like I have another project on my to-do list. Thanks for saving me the time of looking it up Steve. Much appreciated.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenbo For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (03-15-2012)
post #19 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM

View Taylormade's Photo Album My Photos
Funny thing is I pointed that jig out to you because I've been wanting to build it for over a year now and have never gotten around to it, ha! You've done a masterful job on yours, my man!

Ut Prosim
The Following User Says Thank You to Taylormade For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (03-13-2012)
post #20 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
I wood if I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo View Post
I have that issue. Seems like I have another project on my to-do list. Thanks for saving me the time of looking it up Steve. Much appreciated.
I think you'll like it. I haven't really embarked upon a project where I have used mine yet. But when I do I'll be ready to tackle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Funny thing is I pointed that jig out to you because I've been wanting to build it for over a year now and have never gotten around to it, ha! You've done a masterful job on yours, my man!
Get on it man! I'm glad you brought that article to my attention. I had been wanting a box joint jig and was prepared to make a "one trick pony" just to have one. I'm glad I spent the extra time and effort and made this one. It will surely get a lot of use.

I'm slowly building my arsenal so that one day I won't always have to make every jig when it's needed and prolong every "routine" task. Thanks again for steering me towards a great jig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode