• 1 Post By Alchymist
  • 1 Post By Kerrys
  • 1 Post By sunnybob
  • 1 Post By shoot summ

post #1 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

View lukehawk's Photo Album My Photos
Bore a hole around screw heads??

Good Afternoon All -

I have some subfloor i am trying to pull up, and it is screwed to the joists below. The screws are very old and worn and now stripped, because I could not get them out. I have never had luck with those screw extractor sets, and I did try it on a few.

I had the bright Idea that I would simply use something like a hole saw to drill around the screw head. This would allow me to pull up the subfloor, and then cut the screw. However, I cannot find a hole saw without the bit in the middle. The closest thing I found was something like this, which is designed to be used wet (I think) on tile and similar materials. I used it anyway. It worked OK at best. It took forever, and mostly just burned a hole in the wood, instead of drilling it.

Any ideas on where I can find a 1/2 inch hole saw WITHOUT the center drill bit?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 05:39 PM
bzguy

View bzguy's Photo Album My Photos
A hole saw is "centered", held in place by the center bit, without one you need to put the material in a drill press and clamp it. If you try to do this with a hand-held drill the saw will just "walk" around the floor.

Last edited by bzguy; 10-10-2016 at 05:41 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a trick I used with a pilot-less diamond bit on stone.

Make a "guide", take a piece of 3/4" or thicker material and run the hole saw through it.

Now take the hole saw and remove the pilot bit, take the "guide" and secure it to the floor. Run the hole saw through the hole in the guide, it will keep it in place.
MT Stringer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 08:07 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Use shoot summ's idea, but use a plug cutter. Use a screwdriver to break the plug out.

http://aboloxtools.com/cutting-tools...FQkxaQodiMAEeA
MT Stringer likes this.

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 09:41 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
A hole plug cutter would work alright if you have one but I don't have one. I usually either dig the wood away with a chisel and use vice grips to grab the head. If that doesn't work I might grind the head off with an angle grinder and lift the sheet off the screw.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 10:00 PM
novice wood hacker

View d_slat's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
grind the head off with an angle grinder and lift the sheet off the screw.
What he said, only skip the grinder. Use a drill bit only slightly larger than the screw shank and drill the head off. It'll be faster and safer than grinding.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 10:18 PM

View Kerrys's Photo Album My Photos
I never wasted time unscrewing subfloor. Used a bigger pry bar. If that didn't work ran a cut the thickness of the subfloor material on either side of screw line, pulled up subfloor then cut screws off with a sawsall from the side.
Toolman50 likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 10:44 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrys View Post
I never wasted time unscrewing subfloor. Used a bigger pry bar. If that didn't work ran a cut the thickness of the subfloor material on either side of screw line, pulled up subfloor then cut screws off with a sawsall from the side.
If a screw head is ruined on flooring you're removing, I would remove the screw just like removing a nail.. Pull it out using a small nail bar and driving the claw with a hammer to get under the screw head.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #9 of 13 Old 10-10-2016, 10:50 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_slat View Post
What he said, only skip the grinder. Use a drill bit only slightly larger than the screw shank and drill the head off. It'll be faster and safer than grinding.
What usually happens when I do that is when the head gets thin the bit slips off to the side and leaves enough of the head you have to get an angle grinder and finish the job.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 12:51 AM

View sunnybob's Photo Album My Photos
Grab a piece of steel long enough to stand one foot on. Drill a hole the size of the screw youre trying to remove at one end of it.
Lay the plate on the floor with the hole over the screw. Stand on the plate to stop it moving, and drill out the old screw through the pilot hole with an ordinary drill bit. Minimal damage to the wood.
JamesTinKS likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I'm with most of the rest of the folks here, I would likely find a faster, more destructive way to do this.

Circular saw, reciprocating saw, BFH, 36" pry bar, even the angle grinder sounds plausible.

I'm going to tear out a 16x48 deck in the near future, there will be a chainsaw used on it as I don't intend to remove a single screw...
Kerrys likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Get some stainless steel tubing

Use a short length of 3/8" OD stainless tubing or chrome plated tubing about 4" long. Make 2 teeth on the end of it with a die grinder or Dremel. The hole in the center will locate it around the screw. You may have to sharpen it frequently but it should work if the teeth are large. Then use a vise grips to remove the screws.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Terry Q (10-11-2016)
post #13 of 13 Old 10-11-2016, 12:52 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Use a short length of 3/8" OD stainless tubing or chrome plated tubing about 4" long. Make 2 teeth on the end of it with a die grinder or Dremel. The hole in the center will locate it around the screw. You may have to sharpen it frequently but it should work if the teeth are large. Then use a vise grips to remove the screws.
Why bother making one when a plug cutter is less than $10? And it will stay sharp longer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/17277766?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.

Tags
flooring, hole cutting, hole saw alternative, holesaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode