Yard trees to lumber - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 06-25-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

View Invent_R's Photo Album My Photos
Question Yard trees to lumber

I just cut down a (newly) dead apple tree and a very large, old Juniper bush in my yard. I kept the straight parts of the trunks in roughly 24"-36" sections. The cross-sections show some beautiful coloring in the Juniper heartwood and the apple seems quite hard and dense. Is it crazy to think about having these sawn into planks for use in small projects like, perhaps, a jewelry box or other small, decorative items?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-25-2007, 02:12 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Nope, I have my own sawmill, but I still saw out little pieces on occasion on an upright shop bandsaw. (or rig something up on my mill) Apple is a wonderful wood for small projects like you mentioned. I obviously would prefer a whole log, but have found little jewels (in peoples burn pile for example ) that were too good to let go to waste and at least trying to make something from them.

Go for it

As a side note, if you get bored sometime visit my website I use exclusively "yard trees". I am an urban logger, not one thing on my whole site came from "the woods". None of the lumber I sell, or anything in the pictures of stuff I have made. It is all yard trees and "waste" wood from urban expansion etc.

Last edited by Daren; 06-25-2007 at 02:43 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-25-2007, 11:46 PM

View coffeetime's Photo Album My Photos
Careful there, cutting your own lumber from trees can get addicting! Once you cut a few logs into lumber you will never be the same person again.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 06-26-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I already visited your site, Daren. That's what inspired me! I applaud your commitment to not wasting urban lumber. It's a crime how wood is wasted today. Next step - find someone in DuPage County, IL who can saw my small logs...
post #5 of 19 Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invent_R View Post
find someone in DuPage County, IL who can saw my small logs...
Yea, little shorties like that are harder than great big logs, just too hard to clamp to the mill. Here is a link to some sawyers, scroll down to Illinois there are a few up north listed. All it costs is a phone call to see if they will mess with them or not. http://www.woodweb.com/Resources/RSSDGsawyers.html

If you don't already have one, look for a shop bandsaw and try it yourself. I usually see them cheap here http://chicago.craigslist.org/tls/

Just cut them thicker and plan on planing. I am not familiar with juniper, but apple wants to move when it dries (cup, bow, twist). Paint the ends of your little loggettes to keep them from cracking, some old latex house paint will work-put a few coats on. That should keep them in better shape until you figure out what you want to do with them.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-11-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I found out that Juniper is also known as "Eastern red cedar" so I guess it's going to be like working cedar.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invent_R View Post
Thanks for the advice. I found out that Juniper is also known as "Eastern red cedar" so I guess it's going to be like working cedar.
Well sorta, and maybe. Juniperus virginiana http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrol...heet.cfm?ID=97
Is Eastern Red Cedar, and it is a juniper. But there are 13 other junipers native to the US, and some non native species. All ERC is juniper, but not all juniper is ERC . That is why I said I was not familiar with juniper when you mentioned it, because that is a generic term for a wide range of plants, mostly ornamental evergreens of little value.
Quote:
old Juniper bush in my yard.
Having said that, here in Illinois it is most likely to be cedar if it is in tree form . ERC I am familiar with...this is a picture from my gallery here of a little cedar
Attached Images

Last edited by Daren; 07-12-2007 at 01:08 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Nice Daren. That stuff looks awful familiar.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 PM

View Priemsy's Photo Album My Photos
Hmmm. Exactly the prolbem I have with the offcuts from my mill. It is so hard to condem them to firewood. I do end up with quite a few pieces for the lathe and nick nacks.

Paul
post #10 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 03:41 PM

View bigdogpc's Photo Album My Photos
Looking for a sawyer, you might try www.forestryforum.com as there is a bunch of sawmill folks there and you could probably find one close to you. I cut smaller stuff on my bandsaw.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Yep and in all fairness there is also a sister site to this one at www.sawandtimber.com
post #12 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 04:13 PM

View jacksimpk's Photo Album My Photos
If you have shorties you don't have to have a mill. I'll never forget my wood working instructor at junior college. He brought in a walnut log, split it into quarters with and ax, slapped it on an 8 inch joiner and damn if he didn't have some nice pieces quarter "sawn" walnut in no time. This is a great technique if you are looking for turning blanks for instance. Obviously the longer the log the trickier it gets. But if your a turner or looking for accent pieces it works good.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 05:07 PM

Yes splitting, or riving short pieces is a very old trick (any Roy Underhill fans here ? His books are very entertaining and educational. He could fill up the "show us some damage" thread here, he cannot do a thing without cutting his finger ). I do it too, riving short logs, not cut my finger. It produces strong little piece of lumber because you are "making" them with the natural grain intact. I just rived out a piece of osage orange (hedge apple, horse apple, Bodark...) a couple days ago to make a side handled night stick for a cop buddy of mine, the handle is walnut also rived out of a little piece. That stick will never break , if you have ever worked with osage you know what I mean. Here is a link about it, splitting wood and building with it. http://www.greenwoodworking.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stick1.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	989  

Click image for larger version

Name:	stick2.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	990  

Last edited by Daren; 09-10-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: fixed dead link
post #14 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 PM

View jacksimpk's Photo Album My Photos
beautiful Daren .... who knew it was called riving. That's what's great about forums!
post #15 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksimpk View Post
who knew it was called riving.
I bet your wood working instructor at junior college did , most likely even told you. Just funning with you, it is I guess not a term used so much anymore, but I am somewhat old school (by choice). I know what a glut and a froe are too, but you guys sometimes talk over my head with your fancy smancy power tools.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Forgotten but not gone

Hey Daren that's a nice looking billy club.

Some poor deserving bar-brawling troublemaker will probably wake up in the crossbar hotel one day after having gotten the 'ol Bodark Broadside, upside the head. he might wonder how in the world that wooden club could have felt just like steel.

Welcome to the wonderful world Bois D' Arc.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
he might wonder how in the world that wooden club could have felt just like steel.

Welcome to the wonderful world Bois D' Arc.
My buddy is a very cool cop. He is a talker, problem resolution is most always handled with rational discourse. But the saying "Speak softly and carry a big stick" is not lost on him either. It would be a last resort for him to pull that club on someone, but once it was out it will do it's job fast I would think. It is 24" long and 1 1/4' diameter, and it feels like an iron pipe in your hand. Very dense and heavy wood, he handed me his old one for comparison (hard maple I think) it felt 1/2 the weight.

Last edited by Daren; 09-10-2009 at 09:52 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-10-2009, 10:02 PM

I dragged this old post up for a couple reasons. I was searching old posts for something and came across this in general discussion before we had a "milling" section, so I moved it. And I guess the real reason I was looking for it is because I saw the nightstick again today. Same cop still carrying it 2 + years later. He got promoted and moved I had not seen him for a good while. ...it has seen some "action".

Last edited by Daren; 09-10-2009 at 10:05 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I use my bandsaw with 6" riser block to cut up short logs with great success. I am in southern cook county, and might be able to help you out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode