Worth Milling Ash? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Red5hft
  • 2 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Worth Milling Ash?

Hi,

My mother is talking about taking down some enormous Ash trees near her house. I was wondering if its worth paying someone to come in and mill it? I have never worked with Ash so I'm not very knowledgeable about it.

Thanks,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 PM

View Red5hft's Photo Album My Photos
Ash is a good straight grained wood well suited for steaming and bending. I have used it in toboggan making. I say totally worth it.
BigJim likes this.

- Greg

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

"Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
post #3 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Why not do a little homework first?

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/

Type "ash" in the search box. You will see several different species of ash. Click on any of them to see lots of details. You live in North Carolina. That narrows down the likely species, but not precisely. Hopefully you can figure it out, read the details, and then decide what you want to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Why not do a little homework first?

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/

Type "ash" in the search box. You will see several different species of ash. Click on any of them to see lots of details. You live in North Carolina. That narrows down the likely species, but not precisely. Hopefully you can figure it out, read the details, and then decide what you want to do next.
Thanks, I've been google and have read some mixed ideas which is why I asked here. If it was oak I'd jump on it but never built anything with Ash..
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Ash is a neat wood, I like working it personally. It's very hard and straight grained. Machines well, and turns pretty nice. If you're drying it just make sure to coat the ends enough, I hear it checks pretty bad.

-T

God I love Trigger. Inferno Cop is exactly the sort of idiocy they do, It's what makes them so cool. Met them all, great guys.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djonesax View Post
Thanks, I've been google and have read some mixed ideas which is why I asked here. If it was oak I'd jump on it but never built anything with Ash..
Well, if youd jump on it if it were oak, you should jump on it. Oak and ash are extremely similar, to the point where a lot of older 'oak' furniture is actually ash that was stained to match. Ash is one of my personal favorites to work with, its like a slighty softer and less splintery oak, joy to work with, finishes nicely, and looks pretty bloody good too. If you can swing the price id say yeah, worth milling
mmwood_1 and BigJim like this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 08:09 AM

View Maintenance Man's Photo Album My Photos
Just be aware that if there are any dead ash in the area that it's likely to contain a lot of ash borer holes. Just more character to some. If your looking for clear grain it might ruin your day though. Around here the ash is dying off in droves. Every one of them are full of bug holes.

A handful of patience is worth a bushel of brains...
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 02:04 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
gotta love the idea of free wood, right? milling is one phase of the project, drying is next. kiln drying typically kills insects which may be infesting your wood, like the emerald ash borer as mentioned. i have a beautiful gigantic dead one behind my house right now. air drying will not kill the eab, and i don't know if the eab will leave when the tree is cut down.

either way, i suspect you don't want bugs in the wood you are going to make things out of.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 02:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You said "some" trees. You may wind up with a lot of lumber out of that. You can probably sell what is excess to your needs if the milling price is reasonable.

george

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode