White Elm, i think. pics.... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

View mrbentontoyou's Photo Album My Photos
White Elm, i think. pics....

the bark really looked like elm anyway, as did the shape of the tree standing (grey tree in center). Name:  DSCN0295.JPG
Views: 613
Size:  77.2 KB
the wood is really light, with light honey/brown tones. the texture of the log and the live edges is intense.
i'll get some better pics of the grain when we stack and sticker these boards.

this was one of those rare, ideal situations. homeowner contacted me about commissioning furniture to be made from this tree which was dead and had to be removed from the site of her new house. I got to see the tree before it was taken down, discuss the removal with the arborists involved to maximize the usable lumber, and we have a long while to firm up designs for as many pieces as we can think of to go into the new house.

i showed up to a 40'+ log ready to me milled up. we bucked it into 4 sawlogs: [email protected] 12', [email protected] 8-9'. the shorter ones have nice crotch figure. the pickup can only handle one sawlog worth of boards at a time (barely) so we will have to go back a few times to get it all milled and back to my shop for drying. White Elm, i think. pics....-img_0172.jpg

White Elm, i think. pics....-img_0129.jpg

White Elm, i think. pics....-img_0130.jpg

White Elm, i think. pics....-img_0131.jpg

my partner may look like he's being lazy but when a guy uses a cant hook for a pillow he's tough enough to work with me.
you can see three of the sawlogs here, the last was buried in knee deep snow.

more pics will be added to this thread as we make progress getting this one milled and cataloged.

Last edited by mrbentontoyou; 02-17-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Got any pictures of the grain ? I am not familiar enough with white elm to say one way or the other. Looking at the log uncut I would have guessed maple, but those slabs show no darker heart so that ruled that out for me.

It's cool you get to mill and build from the wood and return it to the homeowner as a finished piece, I like doing that.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM

View Ibangwood's Photo Album My Photos
Ya it looks almost maple.. Isn't elm usually a nice orange color .. I just milled 1000' bf of it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren View Post
Got any pictures of the grain ? I am not familiar enough with white elm to say one way or the other. Looking at the log uncut I would have guessed maple, but those slabs show no darker heart so that ruled that out for me.

It's cool you get to mill and build from the wood and return it to the homeowner as a finished piece, I like doing that.

pics of grain coming soon. it is really subdued color-wise. the bark was really coarse almost like silver maple. i googled 'white elm' and found a pic that is almost exactly like what i have. funny thing is, the homeowner had some environmental experts come survey and label the trees on the property prior to the new house being built because the property is on a protected wetland area. the survey listed this tree as "oak". i'm no expert, but this REALLY doesn't look, smell, feel like or in any way resemble any type of oak that i know of.

this is the second person who i've been able to do the 'tree to furniture' thing with and it is just awesome. very gratifying on both ends.
not for nothing but your website and the info it contains was a big factor in my decision to get into milling and drying my own lumber in the first place.
so thanks again! in fact, i got to your site through this site while researching kilns so thanks to you and WWT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibangwood View Post
Ya it looks almost maple.. Isn't elm usually a nice orange color .. I just milled 1000' bf of it
i've been through the other recent elm post on here, is that you? nice looking stuff. that post is what got me trying to figure out what i have, your elm is way more colorful and dynamic. i think you have red elm, i have white. i could be totally wrong too! still learning the tree ID game. i'll get some shots of these boards' faces pretty soon and post them up for the experts to chime in on.

Last edited by mrbentontoyou; 02-17-2011 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2011, 11:08 PM

View Ibangwood's Photo Album My Photos
Hey ya this elm I have could be just tjat' I have tons of it! Here's another pic! Ya it had real neat looking grain. I like it a lot
Attached Images

post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM

View slabmaster's Photo Album My Photos
oak

It looks like red oak to me. Elm has a bark more like ash.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibangwood View Post
Hey ya this elm I have could be just tjat' I have tons of it! Here's another pic! Ya it had real neat looking grain. I like it a lot
I could be wrong, but I think what you have is indeed Red Elm. Smells a lot better that the other elm, to me anyway. I think he has white elm. Is gray elm another name for white elm? That's what I've always called it.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

here's the best i could do on face grain pics. we had very little time to get these boards moved and stacked. still looking white elmy to me but that's just based on internet pics for reference.

Name:  IMG_0180.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  62.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0181.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  56.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0182.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  57.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0183.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  60.4 KB

also a pic of the bark before the tree was felled.

Name:  DSCN0296.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  76.7 KB

any thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode