Walnut log - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

View gogetter's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut log

i just purchased a walnut that was 33" at the butt and stayed the same for 16' (maybe + or - and inch or so) and then the two limbs coming out of the other end of the log made it 54" on that end. i gave 200.00 for the log and my sawyer is a good family friend, he usually charges 150.00 a 1000 bf to saw but we traded labor and i didn't have to pay him anything. just went back and helped him saw bout 1500 bf of pine. i got almost 800 bf from my log. i had it all sawed into 1.5" thick and what ever width it was. i got several boards that are over 22" wide. i had some cut into 4x4 for my legs, i am planning on building a table and chairs and maybe china cabinet if i have enough left over. these are some pics of the log after the bark was taken off and fixin to saw it. I am new to the site and this is my first post, i hope the pics show up. ill try to get some of the lumber when i can.

Name:  100_0169.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  resized pic2.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  87.6 KB

Name:  resizedPic3.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  86.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome. Looking forward to the lumber pictures. $200 and a little sweat for 800 bft of walnut, hard to beat that.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 10:22 AM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome to the site. That sure is a great deal! I hope you plan on air drying it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome gogetter. Don't know if it's the light or what but that walnut log looks like it has lain for a while. If so you should get some nice funky colors out of it.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I think it was laying for about a month or maybe two. i do currently have it air drying. thats the part i hate is having to wait for it to dry before i can use it. im goin to let it dry for about a year then finish in a kiln.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

i have been having some problem with small checks in some of my boards. i read about sealers but i can't find anything at the home depot or lowes so i purchased a can of plasti dip. its suppose to be a rubber material. i know i needed a wax based sealer but i couldn't find it. does anyone know of anything i can purchase at lowes or home depot that i can use for this. just for future logs. thanks in advance. i hope im not posting in the wrong spot if i am just let me know.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-03-2009, 10:59 PM

View ARECHER's Photo Album My Photos
Walnut seems to typically dry pretty well without a lot of checking but the ends of almost any wood will want to split when drying. Anchorseal is supposed to be a really good product but you wont find that at the stores you mentioned. I just bought some anchorseal but before I had that, I used regular latex house paint-3 good coats just after it was cut and that seemed to do the job, except for the pith in one board.

Lowe's and HD often have gallons of mis-mixed paint for a couple of dollars...or maybe you have some old paint cans in the basement like most of us do.

Either way good luck with it.

Edit-I'm assuming your checking is on the ends of the boards. If the checks are on the surface and not at the knots then you might be drying it too fast? Somebody else jump in if this doesn't sound right.

Last edited by ARECHER; 07-03-2009 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode