Is this a type of pit saw? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

View sdbranam's Photo Album My Photos
Question Is this a type of pit saw?

Found a treasure at the flea market today. Is it some type of pit saw?

I thought pit saws were only two-man, with an additional handle (the box) at the end. This is a one-man saw, with what appears to be a tiller, and very large teeth. The teeth have an interesting filing on them, they appear to be shaped like rip teeth, but each tooth has the leading edge filed alternately, similar to a crosscut. No set to them. Is this perhaps a pit saw that was broken off?

My plan is to give it the Vintage Saws treatment and sharpen it up for ripping sections of applewood logs. I've been using a one-man crosscut, but the bigger the teeth the better!

Steve, mostly hand tools. Visit my blog at http://www.CloseGrain.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Standard Issue Member

View OakTree Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
It looks more like a saw for cutting ice from a lake or river. Not really for wood.

The true test of any wood worker worth their salt is the ability to convert Millimeters into Inches in ones head. Now someone will need to market a converting calculator called Your Head....

Last edited by OakTree Woodworks; 04-19-2010 at 06:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to OakTree Woodworks For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (03-24-2013)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM

View Logger's Photo Album My Photos
saw

I say ice saw also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM

View Mizer's Photo Album My Photos
I would leave it as what it appears to be, a ice saw. I still agree that it is a treasure though.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I think it must be an ice saw too, but I would've never thought of that myself. I've never seen one before. Keep it though it'll come in handy with all this global warming going on.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Standard Issue Member

View OakTree Woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTimbers View Post
I think it must be an ice saw too, but I would've never thought of that myself. I've never seen one before. Keep it though it'll come in handy with all this global warming going on.

Check out Ebay, category Collectables sub category Tool, hardware and Lock, sub sub category tools, sub sub sub cat; Carpentry, woodworking... then Saws... I have seen many and I imagine many are still listed. http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectible-Anti...item3efecf2d67

I just scored a nice old Stanley sweetheart No.5 Plane. a wee bit of surface rust but nothing detrimental

The true test of any wood worker worth their salt is the ability to convert Millimeters into Inches in ones head. Now someone will need to market a converting calculator called Your Head....

Last edited by OakTree Woodworks; 04-19-2010 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added link to ice saw on eBay.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 04:11 AM

View Ogee Fillet's Photo Album My Photos
The ice saw in action.
I fish the Great Lakes, and often see the old ice saws hanging in bait shops.
Hold onto it, it’s a very cool part of American history.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

View sdbranam's Photo Album My Photos
Ah, well, too bad! Once I Googled ice saws, I was able to find several pictures matching this one.

I briefly considered removing the handle and using it to make a large frame saw like Adam Cherubini's, since the teeth are already pretty close to the required profile, but the video of the ice festival convinced me to keep it intact (I remember camping at Tobyahanna as a kid!). I will clean it up and put it in usable condition, never know when I might get a chance to try it in the wilds of Mass, Maine, or New Hampshire. Ice harvesting used to be big business up on the Kennebec river.

I do have a couple of two-man crosscuts in better shape, maybe I'll convert one of those to a frame saw. I'll just have to spent more time with the file.

Steve, mostly hand tools. Visit my blog at http://www.CloseGrain.com.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM

View Mizer's Photo Album My Photos
That was a cool video. How would they keep the ice blocks from freezing into one big solid block in the ice house?
post #10 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 06:39 AM

View smithingman's Photo Album My Photos
Sawdust,and lots of it. They layered the blocks and surrounded them with sawdust. The old icehouses used to have anywhere from 6" to 12" of sawdust in the walls also. A buddy of mine set up his blacksmith shop in one-he took a huge amount of sawdust out of the walls-it was a real problem being there's a lot of fire in a blacksmith shop.
Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to smithingman For This Useful Post:
Mizer (04-21-2010)
post #11 of 13 Old 05-20-2010, 09:10 PM

View bmaddox's Photo Album My Photos
Yep Ditto!,..... Ice saw.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM

View bigbo1234's Photo Album My Photos
I have the same saw, I really want to go cut some ice. I it it for $25 and thought that was too much. You can loosen the handle nut and turn the handle so its inline with the blade and hang it on a wall. That's where me sits until I need ice.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, ice saw. Here is my pit saw - if you want a pit saw like this I had it custom made it Sheffield and they made a run of them when they did. It's about $500 shipped to the US.

You still have to make a box and have a black smith make a till for it. The other option is Frog Tools, it's a couple hundred cheaper and comes with a till and box... not sure of the quality though.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode