Spalted Maple Burl Slab BF Price???? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

View ModCo Design's Photo Album My Photos
Spalted Maple Burl Slab BF Price????

Hey everyone, I've got another question, I was trying to find out how much Spalted maple burls slabs go for per bf, I have someone interested in buying quite a bit but I'm not sure what would be a good price, please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
Burls are kinda iffy from what I've seen so far, I would suggest go to ebay and put in search for "spalted maple burl" I'm sure you will get several items pop up, some will even have buy prices which I would think is probably the fair asking price. Just guessin tho. When you figure it out I may be interested also.

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 09:09 PM

View qbilder's Photo Album My Photos
I buy lots of burl. Price will depend on figure, color, and stability. By stability I mean cracks & twists & such. If the wood is solid with no cracks, is dry, good figure & color, then it's worth a good bit. If it has cracks or weak figure then it's not worth much. I know this is not a great answer but these are the things I look for in burl woods and how I determine how much i'll pay. I pay as much as anybody but it has to be good. I won't buy at all if it's not solid & sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses, about the wood here are a couple of pics (I'm having a hard time loading more pics). The wood is very stable, has been steam killed, an is down to about 13%, as you can see no cracks, and the wood is very solid minus one or two pieces that are about 98% solid. All in all this wood is in great condition (can you tell I was a sales man for a few years?). I've got about 5,000bf dry and ready to go. I've kept some of the really choice pieces for myself :)
Attached Images

post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 07:39 AM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
What's the possibility of getting one squared to 12"x12"x5-1/2" to fit in flat rate USPS and how much?

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"
post #6 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos

Add me to the list!

If you come up with an agreeable price and shipping is not prohibitive, I'd like a slab or two, and some shorts for turning, if possible.

Thanks!

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Well sure I'll send you something, I'd say send me a pm, but for some reason it says I don't have access, you can email me at [email protected], about price I've never really sold any smaller pieces before so I still don't know what that would be. Most of the burls are in large slabs that range from 36"x24"x2" to 46"x56"x2.5" but I do have a few smaller ones I could probably cut down to send out, thanks for the interest :)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM
sawdust manufacturer

View txpaulie's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModCo Design View Post
Well sure I'll send you something, I'd say send me a pm, but for some reason it says I don't have access, you can email me at [email protected], about price I've never really sold any smaller pieces before so I still don't know what that would be. Most of the burls are in large slabs that range from 36"x24"x2" to 46"x56"x2.5" but I do have a few smaller ones I could probably cut down to send out, thanks for the interest :)
"You've got mail!"

p

...ever notice how "I'm sorry" and "I apologize" mean the same thing, unless you are at a funeral..?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode