Resawing and small milling on bandsaw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tennessee Tim

post #1 of 7 Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
dbnewton

View dbnewton's Photo Album My Photos
Resawing and small milling on bandsaw

I have been milling short sections (4') of maple with some success. But it rapidly dulls my blade. I'm using a 99.75" Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 3/4" 3 TPI TPC.

Is there a different blade I should be using?

Any helpful hints that I should consider?

My basic approach is to find the flattest side of the piece, with that side down take a first pass through the saw to get one rough but reasonably flat face. Then use that flat face down to get another flat face perpendicular to the first. Then put one flat side down and the other against the fence (a jig I made for the bandsaw) and cut slices.

dbnewton of
Adirondack
Woodcrafts

Last edited by dbnewton; 02-11-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-11-2019, 11:15 PM
Sawing against the Wind

View Tennessee Tim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnewton View Post
I have been milling short sections (4') of maple with some success. But it rapidly dulls my blade. I'm using a 99.75" Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 3/4" 3 TPI TPC.

Is there a different blade I should be using?

Any helpful hints that I should consider?

My basic approach is to find the flattest side of the piece, with that side down take a first pass through the saw to get one rough but reasonably flat face. Then use that flat face down to get another flat face perpendicular to the first. Then put one flat side down and the other against the fence (a jig I made for the bandsaw) and cut slices.
Is this bark on????? Dry bark dulls blades quickly....also dirt and debris. I'm not familiar with shop bandsaw milling and correct bands for this....log size also determines tpi. You may save some wood by flattening one side on a jointer first getting a true flat to start sawing process with.

Some build resaw sleds for their upright bandsaws which help get a true side quicker as it's more stable/safe to make the passes.

I hope this helps.
gmercer_48083 likes this.

Have a Blessed and Prosperous day in Jesus's Awesome Love, Tim
........www.TSMFarms.com.......... John 3:16-21 ..........
Reveling God's awesome beauty while creating one of-a-kind flitches and heirlooms.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tennessee Tim For This Useful Post:
dbnewton (02-12-2019)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 02:17 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
two separate issues .....

Premature blade dulling would be caused by dirt on the bark on the logs. Your 3/4" wide blade is the maxium width a 14" bandsaw can tension properly. A 1/2" 3 TPI band by Timberwolf is what I use on my 14" Craftsman Pro 14" bandsaw. It works fairly well when the wood is 6" and under. For thicker wood, I use my 18" Min Max with a 3/4" 3 TPI Timberwolf blade. I made a carrier to support heavy logs as shown here:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/r...bandsaw-58708/

If you want to invest in a carbide tipped blade, at around $130.00 or so, Lennox makes one.

A couple of videos showing how to resaw:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
dbnewton (02-12-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM

View RickKr's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
...snip...
If you want to invest in a carbide tipped blade, at around $130.00 or so, Lennox makes one.
...snip...
Another option for carbide tipped resaw blades. https://lagunatools.com/accessories/...bandsaw-blade/

Option selections do not include 3/4" wide blades but they are available if you call them. The site seems to indicate calling them is the only way to get any blade. I have not used one of these, but if I do, I'll need a 3/4" for my Powermatic 140. The recommendation of this blade came to me from a friend who does a lot of resawing for making guitars.

Rick

"Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes a bit cheaper."
The Following User Says Thank You to RickKr For This Useful Post:
dbnewton (02-12-2019)
post #5 of 7 Old 02-12-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
dbnewton

View dbnewton's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been removing the bark, not because I knew it would dull my blade, rather because I only have about 7.5" clearance and some of the logs are that thick (or more).

I did build a fence, not really a sled and that might help so I will pursue. Here is what I have:

https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/atta...371793&thumb=1
and it does slide:
https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/atta...371795&thumb=1

But its rather unstable if pulled too far out (since it was really meant as a fence not a sled).

None the less it sounds like I may just be asking the saw to do more than it is capable of doing. Maybe I need to keep the maximum thickness smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190212_152242650.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	371793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190212_152253825.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	371795  

dbnewton of
Adirondack
Woodcrafts
post #6 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Go the distance!

View justdraftn's Photo Album My Photos
I use a Laguna Resaw King blade for milling raw wood.
Works great!
Resawing and small milling on bandsaw-img_1185.jpg

This is my raw wood fence.
Saw a picture of this on some other site.
Pretty easy to make. Works very well.
Resawing and small milling on bandsaw-16251751_10154744447344792_2789994051571897240_o.jpg
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM
bikeshooter

View bikeshooter's Photo Album My Photos
You might consider this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-X-3-4-TPI...bhtD:rk:1:pf:0

A new meat cutting blade will cut through a beef femur bone like it's butter. Yeah, I'm a retired meat cutter. The kerf is thinner as well because the teeth do not have any pitch. The pulleys on a meat cutting saw cannot have tires for sanitation reasons so it's metal blade on metal pulley - friction + heat. Any pitch would be gone in just a few revolutions. Please note that the above link is for a frozen beef blade. That stuff is about as hard as a rock it's sooo solidly frozen. Usually frozen to -20 degrees.

I use a 1" 2tpi wood cutting blade for over 6" or so. Buy them local and they can be resharpened with an electric chainsaw resharpener. I bought mine at HF for $25 - they may still offer them. Turn the blade backwards to how it goes on the saw and the chainsaw resharpener is preset to about the same angle as the teeth. Just a light touch on each tooth will do. Takes about 15 minutes for a 112" blade and will yield about 50% of what a new blade will. I resharpen twice and then discard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode