Norway spruce - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Question Norway spruce

For those of you who deal with instrument makers, more specifically tonewoods, I have a question for you. (or maybe you could give your guys a holler for me) I got a call from a tree service removing a rather large Norway spruce a few towns over and asked if I wanted it. I very rarely take softwoods, with the exception of cedar of course. But he said the butt log was 36" and looked clear, but short less than 6 feet before it forked. The way he talked there will be several logs off this one tree. It is a tough removal and they have to be roped down so they will be 5-6 footers too I imagine.

My question, after doing some quick research I did not find Norway spruce mentioned as a good instrument lumber, like Sitka spruce. But my understanding is they have very similar qualities. If I can find differently that it is desired for luthier work...I know the drill, 1/4 sawn. And a 36" diameter log is prime for that. I have to add this particular tree service always errs on the small side of his diameter estimates...I don't know how many 36" sycamores,maples,elms...he has brought that were 50"

I should have it today. I will post pictures. Like I said, and I try to show answering questions for others I know my hardwoods quite well. But stay away from the softwoods so I have not educated myself as much as I should I reckon.

Last edited by Daren; 08-12-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling, in a hurry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry off topic here

But, I knew you would check this post, could you locate that chart re miter saw angles. I searched all over here and couldn't find it.
There's a question on this subject. I couldn't unzip the one I did find. Thanks Bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey "Mr thread hijacker" , I am not sure if this is the link you are talking about or not ? http://www.csgnetwork.com/sawmiter2calc.html

So whatcha' know about Norway spruce ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down Not a durn thing

My exwife was Swedish, had great legs and a squeaky voice, but that's as close as I'll get to Norway spruce or nor spruce.:yes:
So, you gonna getn those logs? Saw 'em and show 'em and someone will take 'em.:laughing: Might make a nice armoir? :thumbsup: bill
BTW thanks for the chart!
Woah! the smiles aren't workin'

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

While milling softwood for me is not that exciting (read boring), this one has some potential I think. Dude was not wrong, the butt log is 36" on the little end. It swells before the fork. I am not sure about that part, while it is a not joined crotch each half is 3' long and can be lopped off and each milled. Being a split top tree helped, branches did not grow in between the 2 tops so one face of each log after the split is clear (knot free). The ring count seems low for the market I was thinking, but the pith is not centered and the rings are closer together on the clear face. 10 logs 6-8 feet long off one tree...for free...I will see what I can do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spruce1.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	10193  

Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 08-15-2009, 01:09 PM

View skeeter 152's Photo Album My Photos
spoke to a luthier he said it would be a fine product
post #7 of 9 Old 08-16-2009, 12:13 PM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
What ever you do Daren, Cut it SOON! Its difficult to get straight cuts in that stuff without a super sharp blade and dont expect more than about 250-350 bf before the blade is shot.

I have several luthier customers and none are using spruce of any species.

Lots of pith and pine sol seams to work well in the water drip mix.

I cut all my spruce into construction lumber. Just finished up another 10 seventeen footers last week. Cut them all into 2x6x16 for my shop build!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-16-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I milled one small log the next day Kirk just to see how it reacted. I plan on milling the rest the first of the week, a couple I don't even think I am going to mill now. I had the pine sol figured out, that stuff is plenty sappy. And you are right crosscutting those knots on the lower grade faces can make the blade wander, they are much harder than I expected. I had a brand new blade on though figuring they would be hard compared to the rest of the lumber and still slowed down just to keep it straight as I passed them. The log I milled out I just grade sawed out a stack of 4/4 and one 8/4...I looked at it yesterday and the 8/4 has some surface check . But it is hot in the drying shed, supposed to cool off in a day or two.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 AM

View Kirk Allen's Photo Album My Photos
I have some in the barn I cut 4 years ago and on a good hot day it still has sap dripping down the sides of some of the boards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode