Light Milling with Electric Chainsaw (it works!) - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mackman

post #1 of 4 Old 07-07-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
Light Milling with Electric Chainsaw (it works!)

So I had a tree that needed to come down in my backyard, and i also had a big chunk of walnut that I'd been wanting to cut into two slabs for a while. I bought the 18-inch Worx electric chainsaw because from the reviews, I knew it would do the trick with regard to the tree. And if it didn't work with the slab...well, the tree had to come down anyway, and the saw was only $95.

But it works! And it didn't even take very long to do it, either. I didn't notice any significant slow-down or stalling even at its thickest (14-15 inches), and since it's electric, I didn't have to deal with any fumes, didn't have to buy any gas, and didn't even make all that much noise, either!

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched by the result. It's not perfect, but that's all due to the slap-dash nature of my "guide" rather than anything about the saw itself, and I'm really excited to take it to my parents' house and take care of the slabs I have over there.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting this is because I'd done a lot of searching on whether this was even possible with an electric saw, and hadn't seen anyone saying "Yes, it is, I've done it". So...that's what this is, for anyone else who's interested in doing some very light milling and doesn't want to drop a ton of money on a powerful gas saw!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slab 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	363482  

Name:	slab.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	363484  

Name:	slab 3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	363486  

Brian72 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackman View Post
So I had a tree that needed to come down in my backyard, and i also had a big chunk of walnut that I'd been wanting to cut into two slabs for a while. I bought the 18-inch Worx electric chainsaw because from the reviews, I knew it would do the trick with regard to the tree. And if it didn't work with the slab...well, the tree had to come down anyway, and the saw was only $95.

But it works! And it didn't even take very long to do it, either. I didn't notice any significant slow-down or stalling even at its thickest (14-15 inches), and since it's electric, I didn't have to deal with any fumes, didn't have to buy any gas, and didn't even make all that much noise, either!

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched by the result. It's not perfect, but that's all due to the slap-dash nature of my "guide" rather than anything about the saw itself, and I'm really excited to take it to my parents' house and take care of the slabs I have over there.

Anyway, the main reason I'm posting this is because I'd done a lot of searching on whether this was even possible with an electric saw, and hadn't seen anyone saying "Yes, it is, I've done it". So...that's what this is, for anyone else who's interested in doing some very light milling and doesn't want to drop a ton of money on a powerful gas saw!
That is hard to believe that this little chainsaw did all that. Great job. So what are you going to make with those slabs? Looks like a lot of hard work ahead for you.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

View mackman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
That is hard to believe that this little chainsaw did all that. Great job. So what are you going to make with those slabs? Looks like a lot of hard work ahead for you.
Yeah, this saw is an unexpected beast, that's for sure!

First, the slabs have to dry for quite some time. I've had it in my garage for a year and a half now, so the outer inch on each side is dry, but the middle was still quite damp - which meant that not even half an hour after I'd made the cuts, I was starting to get some SERIOUS warping as each slab bent inwards towards the wet side. For now, they're clamped to one of my workbenches to keep them flat, until I can get my router sled, do some initial flattening, and then stack and sticker them (probably with some cinder blocks on top) for a more permanent storage solution.

Once they're ready, though, I have two ideas. One is a round coffee table with a resin river joining the slabs right in the middle: The other is a dining table with these two slabs on the ends, and walnut leaves in between. I like both ideas: I guess when the time comes, I'll ask around and see if anybody on my Facebook is interested in either of those options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-08-2018, 12:55 PM

View Brian72's Photo Album My Photos
My understanding is an electric saw will have good torque which is a good thing for milling. Certainly not something for heavy loads but an occasional project should be fine. Nice job!

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode