Whiteside Ultimate UDC9112 Flush Trim Router Bit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Marv
  • 1 Post By Marv

post #1 of 13 Old 08-06-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Whiteside Ultimate UDC9112 Flush Trim Router Bit

http://www.amazon.com/Whiteside-Mode.../dp/B009102BMK

I do a lot of template work and have used quite a few different flush trim template/pattern bits with varying results. The straight face ones are usually pretty loud even when new and are not kind to any wood with even slightly finicky grain, the shear face ones are a little better/a little quieter and the spiral flush trims have been the best so far but still have some drawbacks. I've been using Whiteside 1/2" spirals for a while now however even those are only lasting me a few months lately so I decided I would get the Whiteside Ultimate Compression bit after the last one wore out.

Fit/finish is superb as with all of the Whiteside bits I have and being a "compression" bit it cuts upward as well as downward. The advertisements/reviews stated the up/down cutting action allowed it to trim any kind of grain almost flawlessly and although I mostly trim MDF/Baltic Birch plywood I found it definitely trims solid wood superbly as well (even splintery wood and stuff with crazy grains and/or knots). I no longer get burning which saves me on sanding and I can hog off quite a bit more than any of the other bits I have tried without any issues. Cutting action is smooth/quiet and because it runs below 18,000 RPM router noise is reduced as well (all I hear is a "buzzing" with my ear muffs on).

I bought the UDC9112 which has the top and bottom bearing so I can have the template on top or on the bottom which saves me time with bit height changes for different thickness materials. I haven't tried it in a hand held router yet but I'm pretty sure it will trim face frames etc as flawlessly as it does everything else.

Pricey yes but well worth it my opinion due to the amount of template work I do and I'll update it's longevity when I get to that point (I also found it could be re-sharpened several times at a cost of only 12 bucks).

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (01-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 PM

View tom d's Photo Album My Photos
Amen
post #3 of 13 Old 01-16-2016, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

5 months of nearly daily use in MDF as well as Baltic Birch and it's still cutting like it was new!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 PM

View pweller's Photo Album My Photos
Marv, thanks a lot for the review. I was doing a lot of curved cuts on walnut, and tried a template with a straight router bit. I got bad tearout, and eventually used an oscillating spindle sander instead. I wondered about the differences between a straight bit, skew bit, and the magical compression bit, but, at that time, with all of the variables and unknowns, I went with the sander.

I looked at what some of the guitar builders were doing, since they make a lot of curved cuts. I might look into one of those bits if I need to do more of that kind of work.

For me, the straight bit on MDF worked perfectly, but when I did the same template/cut on solid walnut, the result was regular tearout.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-20-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

You're welcome pweller and if you get one be sure to add your impressions to the review here!

post #6 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

10 months of regular use and still going strong! The top bearing is just starting to make a little noise (I use that one most often) so I will be replacing it and will update again when it's time to pull out the backup bit that's just sitting here collecting instead of making dust!

post #7 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
10 months of regular use and still going strong! The top bearing is just starting to make a little noise (I use that one most often) so I will be replacing it and will update again when it's time to pull out the backup bit that's just sitting here collecting instead of making dust!
Now that is saying something, to get that kind of use in MDF is really something. MDF will dull most bits really quick and the glue in Baltic Birch is rough on bits also. Looks like that cost may be worth it, lasting that long.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Now that is saying something, to get that kind of use in MDF is really something. MDF will dull most bits really quick and the glue in Baltic Birch is rough on bits also. Looks like that cost may be worth it, lasting that long.
Definitely worth the cost IMO and I have a feeling it would last years for someone who didn't use it almost daily in these types of material!
BigJim likes this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
1mikeg (08-27-2016), BigJim (06-17-2016)
post #9 of 13 Old 10-07-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

After a year and nearly 2 months of almost daily use in mostly MDF and Baltic Birch this bit is finally starting to lose its edge. The initial cost was high however compared to the cost of the standard spirals I was using in conjunction with the amount of time they lasted I gotta say this has been the best value bit I have ever used!

post #10 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to follow up again on this amazing bit. A few months ago I posted it was losing it's edge however when I went to put the new bit in I noticed a light yellow buildup on the cutting edge face (I think it was from trimming something with glue that was still a bit wet). I cleaned the bit well (Simple Green and a brass brush works great) and put it back in the router to test. To my surprise it was cutting great again and now after about 17 months of nearly daily use this bit is still going strong making it an even greater value than I already knew it was!

post #11 of 13 Old 01-20-2017, 02:17 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
thanks marv for the info. wow. I have been using the spirals for a few years exclusively and love them. thought the compression would improve the cut quality, but had no idea the compression would improve the life expectancy. will give one a try!

fwiw, I buy here. great guy.

https://woodworkersworld.net/catalog...ult/?q=udc9112

Last edited by TimPa; 01-20-2017 at 02:27 PM.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-23-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPa View Post
thanks marv for the info. wow. I have been using the spirals for a few years exclusively and love them. thought the compression would improve the cut quality, but had no idea the compression would improve the life expectancy. will give one a try!

fwiw, I buy here. great guy.

https://woodworkersworld.net/catalog...ult/?q=udc9112
You're welcome Tim and hope it works out as well for you!

post #13 of 13 Old 03-06-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Totally forgot about this one. After the initial cleaning when it started burning and periodic cleaning after that this bit ended up lasting almost 2 years with nearly daily use in MDF and Baltic Birch before needing to be sharpened!
BigJim likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode