Ryobi OSS500 Oscillating Spindle Sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 1 Old 11-28-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

View Howard Ferstler's Photo Album My Photos
Ryobi OSS500 Oscillating Spindle Sander

This device is no longer in production, but used models might show up here and there. It had a list price of $99 when it was available new, and I lucked out and got the last display model at my local Home Depot for sixty-seven bucks.

The top is cast iron, the rotational speed is 2000 rpm, and the oscillating range is 5/8 inch. The motor draws 3.5 amps and the weight is 49 pounds. The metal spindle is 1/2 inches in size and while it will hold a sanding sleeve that diameter you also have four rubber spindles in sizes up to 3 inches. The unit also has throat plates to accommodate the assorted spindles, and there is a really good 2.5-inch dust-collecting port on the back. This works very well, and even though the unit is located inside of my shop, when I run a hookup hose through an open window to my dust collector on my exterior deck (the collector blows the dust out into my “natural” back yard) very little dust gets into the shop interior.

Home Depot no longer sells sleeves for this device, but you can get all you need by simply ordering the things from Grizzly. In addition, the original Ryobi versions were only available in multi-sized sets, whereas Grizzly will sell you individual sleeves in any grit type and size you want, in any quantity.

This unit does not have a tilting table like the more upscale Ridgid version, nor can you hook up a belt attachment, as with the Ridgid. However, it does take 3-inch sleeves (the Ridgid tops out at 2 inches), and the motor drive assembly seems bulletproof. I have used it quite a bit, and it does some jobs that no other tool I have could do. A device like this might sit unused for some time as projects come and go, but when you need to do interior contour sanding it can save the day.

Howard Ferstler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	11767
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	5724  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode