Router bits - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 09-21-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

View Mark Cabral's Photo Album My Photos
Router bits

I do freehand router inlays into maple and oak. I've been using Freud bits because for years I used their blades and was impressed by how long the edge would last. I'm finding the bits don't last for long. Which brand of router bit holds it's edge for the longest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2020, 04:14 PM

View John Smith_inFL's Photo Album My Photos
welcome to the forum, Mark.
when you get time, please introduce yourself in the New Member Introduction section.
can you share some photos of your past inlay projects so we have an idea of what kind of bits you use ?

there is no educational alternative to having a front row seat in the School of Hard Knocks.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2020, 04:40 PM

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
for router bits, the reality is.....

any of the made in China stuff is very probably from the same vendor.
different color paint, same box, same inserts, same clasps, same product, different label.

multiple USA vendors. I personally cannot vouch for longevity "quality" from any of them - I'm just a bumbling hobby wood hacker who will likely never "wear out" a carbide router bit.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2020, 07:20 PM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
First and foremost, do you clean your router bits? Router bits get gunky just like table saw blades; a cleaning can make a big difference. Remember to remove the bearing before you clean the bit.

With care, you can re-sharpen router bits to extend the useful life of the bit. Use a diamond stone on the flat side of the carbide only. If the router bit has more than one cutter (most do), be careful to sharpen each one the same amount to maintain the match between them. Re-sharpening may not be as good as new bits, but it may get you a little more use from them.

Rockler has an unconditional guarantee on their router bits. They will say that it doesn't mean buy one and they will replace the router bit for life, but "unconditional" means "no conditions" to me. If you feel that it does not deliver a satisfactory amount of useful life, they should replace it, right? (In my opinion, Rockler-branded router bits are better than the average cheap bit, but slightly inferior to Freud.)

I met the Freud representative when I was shopping at a woodworking store one day. Of course he was enthusiastic about his company's products over the competition. One claim I heard is that Freud makes its own carbide. He said that Freud's carbide is superior to the third-party carbide that others buy and use. My own experience with Freud bits is that they are neither worse nor better than other common brands.

Whiteside and Amana router bits have a reputation for being better quality and more durable. Certainly they are priced higher than the competition. I admit it, I buy Whiteside bits when I am working on a "special" project and want the best, or for common bits that get a lot of use.

Some things to think about, anyway. I hope it helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-22-2020)
post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2020, 10:18 PM
Generic Weeb

View WeebyWoodWorker's Photo Album My Photos
I've used Amana router bits for a long time, I like them personally. Frued is fine, I'll state I've not used too many of them before but what I have used worked well.

I'd suggest looking into getting them sharpened rather than just getting a new bit. Oak and maple can dull a bit pretty well and pretty fast.

T-
The Following User Says Thank You to WeebyWoodWorker For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-22-2020)
post #6 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 01:33 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
It's the grade of carbide!

https://www.precisionbits.com/beginn...guide-old.html

The cheaper bits use a lower grade of carbide, C2. The better ones use C3 or even C4, a more durable grade of carbide and more expensive.
http://blog.carbideprocessors.com/sa...ss-of-carbide/

Scroll down to find How to Buy Best Router Bit Sets:
https://woodworkingtoolkit.com/best-router-bit/

I use Freud, Whiteside and Yonico most often in my shop, but never have used any to the point where a clean up with a diamond hone wouldn't bring back a sharp edge. HSS steel bits can be made sharper, but carbide tips will last longer before it dulls. I may have an Amana bit or two and they are very well regarded:
https://www.amanatool.com/products/router-bits.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-22-2020 at 01:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-22-2020)
post #7 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 08:35 AM

Adding to my post above, the Freud representative told me that Freud uses their own C4 carbide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tool Agnostic For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-22-2020)
post #8 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 10:55 AM

View Rebelwork's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeebyWoodWorker View Post
I've used Amana router bits for a long time, I like them personally. Frued is fine, I'll state I've not used too many of them before but what I have used worked well.

I'd suggest looking into getting them sharpened rather than just getting a new bit. Oak and maple can dull a bit pretty well and pretty fast.

T-
Agree... Freud is okay at best...

The thing to remember is router bits cost to sharpen. Getting the most between sharpening is the key...

Last edited by Rebelwork; 09-22-2020 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelwork For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-22-2020)
post #9 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Manufacturers are notalways forthcoming ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Adding to my post above, the Freud representative told me that Freud uses their own C4 carbide.
I tried to determine what grade of carbide the different manufacturers use and it wasn't always available on their sites. Freud uses some proprietary blend as stated here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=What..._AUoAHoECAEQAA

Amana states:
https://www.amanatool.com/products/router-bits.html

Whiteside says they use a "micro grain carbide" :
http://carbideprocessors.com/by-manufacture/whiteside/

Yonico says:
https://www.google.com/search?client...RwXD0EQ4dUDCAw

Rockler has some special stuff:
https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAw&uact=5

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-22-2020 at 11:06 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I tried to determine what grade of carbide the different manufacturers use and it wasn't always available on their sites. [...]
Rockler has some special stuff:
https://www.google.com/search?client...4dUDCAw&uact=5
Great stuff! Thanks. Your Rockler link says:

"K20 carbide
Rockler router bits are made using high quality ISO K10 and K20 carbide, are finish sharpened with 600-800 diamond abrasives, and are precision balanced and are geometrically designed for superior chip ejection."

According to this chart, K10 and K20 are ISO codes for U.S. Industry Code "C2" carbide.
https://www.federalcarbide.com/tungs...son_chart.html

Before looking at that chart, I thought that C2 was inferior to C3, which was inferior to C4. In other words, the higher the digit, the better the carbide. Now I am no longer sure. It may more subtle than that, where you must balance hardness, brittleness, etc.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-22-2020, 03:29 PM

View Dave McCann's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post

Before looking at that chart, I thought that C2 was inferior to C3, which was inferior to C4. In other words, the higher the digit, the better the carbide. Now I am no longer sure. It may more subtle than that, where you must balance hardness, brittleness, etc.
Exactly, ^^^

Working in a custom tool and die shop for 40 years and have seen the progression of carbide and carbide choices over the years. In an industrial setting minor details in carbide makeup, can and will, have dramatic effects on production,,,,,,, when in an extremely controlled environment.

This means day in and day out the material being cut remains the same, the depth of cut remains the same the feed rate remains the same, etc. Unless those variables remain the same, the difference in carbide performance will be difficult to quantify.

When viewed under a high power microscope, all cutting edges will show a cutting edge which is made up of many many small teeth. The size and depth of the gaps in those teeth, is a result of both the sharpening method and the grain structure of the material which makes up that edge, in this case, carbide.

We could purchase carbide, either a "ground and lapped" or just a "ground" edge. This of course addresses the sharpening method.

Or we could purchase a lower priced carbide, verses a "submicron" grain structure at a higher cost. This address the affect of grain structure in regards to the "teeth" produced when grinding a cutting edge.

For the hobbyist wood worker, I would suggest looking for a product with claims of "sub-micron" grain structure within the carbide. A router bit company, using a "better" (sub-micron) grade of carbide, most likely may use a "better" sharpening process as well. (who knows for sure?)

Take care,
Dave McCann
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave McCann For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-23-2020)
post #12 of 13 Old 09-24-2020, 07:22 PM

View RonBenson's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone familiar with Bit and Bits? They have a proprietary coating on some of their bits that's supposed to give longer life amongst other benefits.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-24-2020, 08:26 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Most of my bits now are either CMT or Whiteside.

I got away from Freud b/c I didnít feel the longevity was there.

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to DrRobert For This Useful Post:
Mark Cabral (09-25-2020)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode