New Tool Review Forum - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
New Tool Review Forum

Welcome to the Tool Review forum.
This part of the site is designed for you to give us your real world review of tools and equipment that you've used either in the past or presently.

Please give us your honest opinion in these reviews along with other helpful information or experiences that you've had. PICTURES ARE ALSO GREAT!
Finally, if relevant show us some pictures of work that you've done with the tool.

I look forward to reading these reviews and thanks for the time and effort you put into them.

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

View Nathan's Photo Album My Photos
*** Reserved ***

Nathan

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
post #3 of 15 Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM

View Jim Picardi's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg Forman

About two years ago I got a Kreg Forman (electric not pneumatic) and think it's the best thing since Lamello invented the biscuit joiner. I've been using the hand held Kreg jigs for a while but found i was taking too much time to clamp on to each part. I also found i was using the pocket screws for more and more of my cabinet assembly, so the Forman made sense.
Even if you don't want to spend the money for the table top version I think pocket screws together with biscquits are a very efficient way to assemble cabinets. They save a lot of clamp time and are much stronger than screws into end grain or plywood edges.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-13-2009, 03:32 PM
GLFBOB

View glfbob540's Photo Album My Photos
Nathan, Although not new to wood working I have been doing more of it the last couple years and plan on doing A LOT more when I retire. Anyhow, I have recently purchased a "Work Sharp WS300" and just this weekend a new "JET 1014VSI" Lathe. Both after a lot of thought and research. If you think either of these would be of interest I could try to do a "Tool Review" on either or both!

Let me know your thoughts.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-16-2009, 09:22 PM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by glfbob540 View Post
Nathan, Although not new to wood working I have been doing more of it the last couple years and plan on doing A LOT more when I retire. Anyhow, I have recently purchased a "Work Sharp WS300" and just this weekend a new "JET 1014VSI" Lathe. Both after a lot of thought and research. If you think either of these would be of interest I could try to do a "Tool Review" on either or both!

Let me know your thoughts.
I have the Work Sharp 3000 and have never had better sharpened tools, chisels, lathe, and carving tools. When I sharpen a tool from under the segmented wheel I mark it with a black marker and this helps me know exactly where I start to remove material.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-20-2010, 11:03 AM

View WoodMark's Photo Album My Photos
I also Have the Worksharp 3000. Great sharpener!!!
post #7 of 15 Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM

View Toolman2's Photo Album My Photos
Craftsman Mini Circular Saw

I wanted a small circular saw to use for small jobs. I bought the Craftsman Mini Circular Saw, 3 1/2" and it works great. It comes with a carbide blade and it'll cut through anything that I need it too.

The only drawback was the way you had to pull back on the safety, move a lever, and then start the saw which required two hands. I fixed it by using a zip tie on the first pull back safety.

It'll cut lattice, drywall, and any wood up to 3/4" thick without a loss in power.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-06-2010, 12:06 AM

View jack warner's Photo Album My Photos
funny thing. my grandfather cursed the biskit, wouldnt use an airless sprayer, said a hopper was for guys that didnt know how to texture.
he used to say the only power tool you need is a table saw and a skill saw. stuborn old man he was, miss him. he was a true craftsmen.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack warner For This Useful Post:
vinnypatternmaker (05-02-2014)
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM

View toollovingschultz's Photo Album My Photos
rip sizer from eurekazone

Ive been using my new rip sizer from eurekazone for 2 weeks now this is a well thought out tool. It turns a 36 inch track and a circular saw into a unlimitted ripping device with a 25 inch width capacity.and at $250 is a bargain. the 36 inch fence keeps your cut nice and parallel and the 25 inch cut width lets you size 4 foot width sheets easily. this is a tool built to withstand the jobsite wich unfortunately a lot of tools are not today. Another nice thing is it is manufactured in new jersey when a lot of tools are being made in china that used to br built here.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM

View toollovingschultz's Photo Album My Photos
worksharp 3000

I used a buddys worksharp and this is a tool definitely on my list. I have always sharpened with a bench grinder if a tool is nicked bad and then went through a procession of stones. This tool made quick work and was very accurate.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 PM

View Larry42's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a nice set of tools for doing miter frame cabinet doors. An Omga miter saw, dead on, slick cuts. And a Hoffman key machine. Cuts a dovetail slot in each part, the keys have a slight taper and draw the parts tight. Extremely well thought out machine. Have had them for quite a while now and they have proved to be durable. Got them for a job that required 2500 doors over a period of about a year.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Savannah hollowing tool

Has any one had a beef about the Savannah lathe tools quality? I bought a hollowing rig with a laser frame at the wood show a few years back, thought for the price they looked nice. It was a carbide tipped hook nosed hollower with apparently a 3/4 inch wide bar. I had it out a week ago and was trying to use it on a red oak hollow form and the bar started to deform in a bad way. Looking at where it mounted in the handle they had necked the 3/4 inch bar down to 1/4 inch at the handle! What kind of dumb is that? It bent right at that weakened point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	324346  

post #13 of 15 Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
Heres a shot showing the reduction at the handle
Attached Images

post #14 of 15 Old 11-13-2017, 05:44 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I’ve bought several Saw blades from Harbor Freight. I’ve bought 10” and 7 1/4” in 40 tooth, 60 tooth and 24 tooth carbide blades.
I have no complaints from any of these blades. They are basically disposable blades because re-sharpening would cost about the same as buying a new blade.
Sawing hardwoods without any issues.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #15 of 15 Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM

View Bob Willing's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
Heres a shot showing the reduction at the handle
These people make great and strong tools https://www.harrisonspecialties.com/...turning-tools/, and get your replacement cutters at AZCarbide. https://azcarbide.com/

Last edited by Bob Willing; 11-14-2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Add link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode