Grizzly Equipment Good or Bad? Others? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
Grizzly Equipment Good or Bad? Others?

I am looking for any and all comments on the Grizzly line of woodworking equipment. My last shop was all delta and porter cable. Back then (90’s), I never heard any good remarks about Grizzly quality. How is it today? Are there other brands to consider with funds being on the low side without buying junk? I’m just looking to get the basics for now, table saw, jointer, planer, drill press etc. I see some items pop up on craigslist now and then also. This is just for a home shop. Not ready to go back into the custom furniture business just yet although it sounds like fun again. Thanks for your thoughts. Red

Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
If you know what to look for, used American made machinery is the way to go I think. Grizzly is ok, almost every company now days the machinery is made overseas. I guess what may set Grizzly apart from the rest nowdays is their customer service I've heard is good. The only problems I have with them is I live so far away from any of their showrooms that shipping kills the deal, and I can buy most other brands locally and not have to worry about shipping damage, I get local service, plus my money stays here in the local economy.

Last edited by user4178; 10-28-2008 at 10:48 PM.
post #3 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 12:08 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I was just about to ask the same question.

Red said "My last shop was all delta and porter cable. Back then (90s)". My situation is almost exactly the same.
Back then, Delta was the best of the mid priced stuff and PC was about the best for portable tools. Grizzly was cheap stuff. I owned a Grizzly 4 bag dust collector and a 4 foot wide table sander. They worked very good for what they were. However, I had friends that were very unhappy with their table saws, planers and lathes.
I know as time goes on that kings die and peasants rise.
I dont even want to talk about Festool. Way too expensive.
Does anyone here make furniture and own both Delta and Grizzly to make the comparison? In some cases I am price motivated and others I definitely am not and need good reliable accurate tools.
I also know that similar products have a similar cost of manufacture.
Grizzly planers are far less expensive than Jet or Delta, why?
Within the next few months I will be looking for a 20" planer.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, Sold full time cruising boat and now full time cruising in RV. Currently in Somerville, Tx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 12:09 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
I've got several peices of Grizzly tools and would not hesitate to buy more.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #5 of 45 Old 10-25-2008, 12:14 PM

View JackC's Photo Album My Photos
The only Grizzly machine I've used is a 8" jointer belonging to a friend, a really sweet machine.
I admit that shipping can be a killer. Any in-transit damage is well handled by their customer service, I've yet to hear anyone complain. They want you happy and will do their best to make sure you are.
You can't compare the quality of today's machines to what they had 20 years ago, night and day. Shop Fox is Grizzly but with a few more bells and whistles.
Old American iron is another way to go but then there's the rebuilding aspect to consider. Used equipment off craigs list or your local newspaper is yet a third way to go. I bought a complete shop, everything minus a router table, from a fellow when lost interest. All Jet stuff less than 2 years old for about 20 on the dollar, he just wanted it gone.
post #6 of 45 Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 AM
Journeyman Wood Butcher

View smitty1967's Photo Album My Photos
I've just recently begun operating an all-Grizzly shop. With the exception of the miter saw which is Dewalt, all the other tools are Grizzly. I have a 14" Bandsaw, 1.5hp shaper, spindle sander, radial drill press, 13" planer/moulder, 6" jointer, 3hp cabinet saw and 2hp dust collector. I would buy every one of them again, all things being equal.

I do have a squeak/noise issue that resembles a dry bearing on the d/c impeller (or motor, can't tell yet), and the customer service help on this issue has been good so far. I have no doubts that the issue will be resolved properly, even if it means I have to disassemble the d/c and reassemble a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC View Post
I admit that shipping can be a killer.
I agree with Jack on this point....that's why I took truck and trailer to the Springfield outlet and loaded and transported my own equipment. With this large of a purchase, it was a cost savings and gave me much more peace of mind that my equipment would arrive undamaged.

About the only Grizzly complaint I have is that darn sticky cosmoline grease all over everything, but it's a necessary evil.

regards,
smitty
post #7 of 45 Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 AM

View Lucas54's Photo Album My Photos
I've actually been looking at getting one of their band saws in the next month. Either the G0555 or G0555x. Everything I've read so far has been good (with a few shipping faux pas here and there).
post #8 of 45 Old 10-26-2008, 12:12 PM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I don't buy any tool based on brand name. The vast majority of names have some good tools and some not-so-good tools...Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, Jet, GI, Shop Fox, Steel City, PC, Ridgid, Makita, DW, etc. I prefer to evaluate the important tools on their own merit and go from there.

Grizzly has improved the quality of their designs steadily over the years. In many cases Grizzly machines are very competitive at a given price point. IMO, their lower priced items like portables and handtools are less attractive than those that can be bought locally, but their stationary machines like a full size TS, jointer, DP, DC, BS, etc., tend to be as good as any imports like Jet, GI, Delta, Ridgid, Craftsman, Rikon, or Steel City, and are typically sold for less even after shipping is calculated. Grizzly and Shop Fox are associated companies, and in many cases the tools are nearly identical. SF has a dealer network and longer warranty, so when price is close SF is a wiser buy IMHO.
post #9 of 45 Old 10-26-2008, 12:19 PM

View Ken Johnson's Photo Album My Photos
The only Grizzly tool I have is their 14" Ultimate Bandsaw with the 6" riser. I absolutely love this machine. It is a great resawing machine and muscles through the toughest of woods. With a good Timberwolf blade, this is an awesome tool.

Ken

"What we hope ever to do with ease, we must first learn to do with diligence".
- Samuel Johnson
post #10 of 45 Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotscott View Post
I don't buy any tool based on brand name. The vast majority of names have some good tools and some not-so-good tools...Grizzly, Craftsman, Delta, Jet, GI, Shop Fox, Steel City, PC, Ridgid, Makita, DW, etc. I prefer to evaluate the important tools on their own merit and go from there.
I couldn't agree more. I will never restrict myself to one brand of tools for building a shop. When looking to buy a new tool, I research all brands and buy the best one that I can afford in my price range. The best is not always the mose expensive one either. Do your research and get the best tool that fits YOUR needs.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #11 of 45 Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM

View rkmcswain's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
... I never heard any good remarks about Grizzly quality. How is it today?
Bought a Grizzly table saw about 7 years ago. (yesterdays version of a G0444, except with cast iron wings and a lower model fence). It still performs well.
post #12 of 45 Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM

View steve mackay's Photo Album My Photos
Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em . . .

All metal construction was what I was after. Got it ! Their service is great too. But, for me the top issue was price to value. I'm shidting over from Craftsman as I replace worn out machines. Went into Sears and looked and they're a LOT of plastic and comparaple prices to all metal Griz. Thats enough for me. I know I'll take heat rounds for the plastic opinion. Modern plastics are wonderfull and like iron and will outlast metal and . . . But for this accident prone child indestructable metal is the only way to go. (and after a little over a year my Grizzly still has that industrial-lube, new machine smell. no kidding. )
post #13 of 45 Old 10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
just a dude

View rocklobster's Photo Album My Photos
As for a table saw, consider the Ridgid TS3650. I had been looking at the Delta and Grizzly before I decided on this one. The prices were similar and they all got good reviews, but the Ridgid seem to get the best.

I'm really happy with it. The fence seems solid and was straight right out of the box. It has cast iron wings and a great lift system that let's you roll it around if you need to.

The instructions for assembly weren't the best, but support was good when I called (on a Sunday) and they immediately sent me a replacement part for one that was bent during shipping.

Rob
post #14 of 45 Old 10-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocklobster View Post
As for a table saw, consider the Ridgid TS3650. I had been looking at the Delta and Grizzly before I decided on this one. The prices were similar and they all got good reviews, but the Ridgid seem to get the best.

Rob
Rob,

I bought the same saw a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It is really a great piece of equipment. Ridgid has really come out with some nice tools over the past several years. I also have their thickness planer and 10" miter saw.

Ken

- Samuel Johnson
post #15 of 45 Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM

View misfire's Photo Album My Photos
I currently have the 14" bandsaw, GO555 Ultimate and have had zero problems. And they do have great customer service. Getting a cabinet saw in the next two weeks as well
post #16 of 45 Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 PM

View steve mackay's Photo Album My Photos
Please post when ya' get the Griz Cabinet saw up and running ! Almost wish this "C" word TS would go ahead and give up so I can place my order. I'm just wondering about sldding it around though. Small shop so I have to turn it or pull it out into the center from time to time.
post #17 of 45 Old 11-10-2008, 03:01 PM

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Grizzly 18" 3hp bandsaw and really love it. I used to have the aforementioned 14" ultimate bandsaw, but it was underpowered for large timber work that I do. Both are excellent saws, and are priced very well.

Used to have their 6" Z series jointer, but sold it. I really wish I hadn't, because now I need one.

I live within 3 hours of their Springfield, MO store, and have made the trip down there twice. Fun place to visit.

The only thing to know with Grizzly is to avoid the bottom of the line stuff. Their cheapest tools are the kind of junk you get at Harbor Freight. If you get their average to better quality machines, they're of comparable quality to the competition. As was the case with my 18" bandsaw, you can get features on their machines that would cost hundreds more on the competition's.

Their customer service is absolutely excellent. I had trouble with my 18" saw's table slot catching workpieces and they replaced it in a hurry. They also sent me a couple capacitors after I burnt mine out by turning the saw on and off constantly (which I quit doing and now have no problems). They're great people to work with.
post #18 of 45 Old 11-11-2008, 12:35 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
I have a Grizzly band saw and it performs quite well. Blade changes are easy. However, don't stock up on Grizzly blades, there are better ones on the market like Timber Wolf.
post #19 of 45 Old 12-25-2008, 02:24 AM
Big Member

View Allthumbs27's Photo Album My Photos
Ive got an old 1022z model tablesaw that I bought. Need to replace the motor but I think it will be worth it once i fix that problem. Too bad the new motor cost more than i paid for the saw.
post #20 of 45 Old 12-25-2008, 07:32 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthumbs27 View Post
Ive got an old 1022z model tablesaw that I bought. Need to replace the motor but I think it will be worth it once i fix that problem. Too bad the new motor cost more than i paid for the saw.
Allthumbs - You may find a better deal on an aftermarket motor as opposed to buying a replacement through Grizzly. Many 1.5 to 2hp motors should fit....most are a standard NEMA 56 frame. Check the frame size, rotation, specs, duty rating, and general size/wt.....it doesn't even have to be an exact match for many of the parameters, just close....places like surplus supplies, motor shops, Grainger, McMaster Carr, Ebay, etc. should have a motor that will work well for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode