Drum Sander - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

View slabmaster's Photo Album My Photos
Drum Sander

Hi, I'm new to this site.I'm looking to get a sander to build guitars.Any advice would be great.Been looking at performax & grizzly drum sanders.Which is the best?Is the bigger drum better on the grizzly for flatter finish? I like the lighter weight of the performax though.I'll be sanding 3/16" thickness alot, like acoustic tops,sides,and backs.Thanks,Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Got the delta and like it alot.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-04-2008, 02:02 PM

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
I own the performax.

I own the Performax 22-44. It is a great machine. I purchased one with the closed stand and it nearly cost $2,000. I think you should really look at it or in my opion the Steel City. It is wonderful. It has two 4 inch dust ports and a dual drum for just a little more than the performax.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM

View Eugene In NC's Photo Album My Photos
I have had the Griz. 24 double drum sander (G1066) for about five years. I like mine and use it on almost every project I do. I have read posts on other sites where people say they have set the machine up in about a hour or so. That was not my experience. It took me an hour or so to unpack it, clean it up and read the instructions. It took me about 3 to 4 hours to get the drums adjusted and have the machine so it would perform as I expected it to. After that life was good. I am considering the 37" model for a purchase some time in the late 08 or early 09 time frame.

Eugene
post #5 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
red
Papa Red

View red's Photo Album My Photos
I had a woodmaster and it was a great machine. Red

Red
post #6 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
What is a drum sander capable of ?

I have never used one nor do I know anyone that has one. Exactly what can a drum sander do and not do?
Tony B
post #7 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I have never used one nor do I know anyone that has one. Exactly what can a drum sander do and not do?
Tony B
Tony As I understand it, a drum sander is built a lot like a planer. But instead of it having knives, it has sanding drums. It would be good to run a board through for a final level sanding.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #8 of 12 Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 PM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I had an old Foley Belsaw Planer

over 20 years ago. I ordered a drum sanding accessory from the factory. It just burned the sandpaper on the high spots and I returned it to the factory for a refund. I knew people back then that had other models of drum sanders with similar probelms. I'm not counting this as having experience with drum sanders because that is 25 year old technology. I was wondering what the new stuff is like. If I have to plane my tops first, them I dont need the sander. So, how practical are they?
I guess what I'm eluding to is should I buy a planer and a drum sander or should I wait till I have the money and buy just a planer, but a larger one? Most furniture parts are usually 16" or less in width and most table and desk tops other than dining tables and coffee tables are less than 24" in width/depth.
I'm wondering if a 24" planer would do the trick for me.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #9 of 12 Old 12-24-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Most burning is caused fron the convayor speed too slow or the drum speed too fast or a combo of both.Also taking to much bite at a time will also contribute to it.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM

View jana88's Photo Album My Photos
This is the first time I heard about it. Now I know the functions of it. thank you guys!
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 AM

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
steel city?

I have the 22" Performax. It almost cost me $2,000. I saw a Steel City unit that really impressed me also. It had a metal hood with locking clamps and 2 4" dust connections. It looked much better than the Performax. I would really look at it. The conveyer was beefier and you can use two different grits of paper at the same time on it. It has two drums. One is set slightly higher than the other one.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-14-2009, 10:39 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
To reply to two diferent posts; The drum sander excels at "levelling" and smoothing "wild" grained wood such as birdseye maple or spalted wood. the new technology assists in avoiding "burns".
It is NOT a planer! Using a planer on these woods causes tearout of the highly figured grain.
The Performax is now sold by Jet, at least the 10/20, 16/32, and 22/44. the larger models are sold by "Supermax" the original company

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com

Last edited by mmtools; 01-14-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode