Delta Bench-Top Router/Shaper, SH100 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

View Howard Ferstler's Photo Album My Photos
Delta Bench-Top Router/Shaper, SH100

This unit is discontinued, but it might be available used or even may still be in stock in some Lowe’s stores here and there.

I have been using hand routers for some time, but I did decide that an inverted table-type unit would be handy. There are plenty of table bases available out there, and they will handle any plunge-type router you might care to install. This Delta SH100 device is different, in that the motor is built in. Unpack the thing, do a bit of assembly work, and it is ready to go.

It does have some downside issues, however. First, a while back I contacted Delta to get a spare drive belt and was informed that it, like the unit itself, was no longer available. That kind of soured me on the whole thing until I thought things through and went to a vacuum cleaner repair shop and sized a belt that would work. It did take two tries, however, because the stock belt does not stretch and fits snugly, whereas a cleaner belt is designed to stretch and you have to get one that stretches fairly tight over the shaper’s spindle and motor shaft. If it does not, the high 12,500 rpm spindle speed will cause the belt to lift off and lose traction. With the right tension the cleaner belt works just fine, and now I am storing the stock belt as a backup.

The motor, as noted, is a fixed-speed unit and that might cause some problems with certain bit sizes. It is an 9-amp (single phase) 120-volt induction job, at least, and it has never bogged down even slightly during some of my projects. The vertical movement adjustment had been a bit stiff, but over time it seems to have loosened up a tad. Opening the lower chamber area up and doing some lubricating work did not hurt.

The range of vertical adjustment for the spindle is 2 3/8 inches and the collet size is ½ inch. (A ¼-inch adaptor was also supplied.) Two specialized wrenches were supplied to facilitate easy removal of bits. The unit also comes with two different sized fitted inserts and the insert opening is 3.75 inches. The cutouts in the inserts themselves might be a bit too small for some bit sizes, but it would be easy to make additional inserts out of wood. The cast-aluminum table is 22 inches wide, 26 inches long, and the shaper assembly sits 15.5 inches high and weighs 53 pounds.

The table itself seemed a little small to me and Delta did offer a wooden expansion section that fitted around the exterior. Even when available the expansion piece seemed a bit costly, so I built one of my own, and also modified the dust-collection fitting to accommodate the dust-blocking fence I installed on the back. The flange on the aluminum table edge allowed the ¾-inch wooden surround to be dropped into position nicely, and then all that was needed were some cleats screwed in underneath to keep it from lifting. It also came with a fully adjustable, split-guide fence, but I also built a solid-guide fence, as well as an outboard fence that can be locked down in place of the stock fence assembly to let you do dados and the like. As you can see in the photo, I also mounted the thing on a mobile stand that had once been a TV stand. A good grey paint job made the stand look more utilitarian.

This is not an upscale tool of its kind, but it works well enough and would be a good buy at a low price. I paid $230 for it new at Lowe’s a few years back and used versions should certainly be available for considerably less money. I wish the motor had variable speeds, but the existing fixed speed works well enough for most routing projects.

Howard Ferstler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	14094
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	5730  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 PM

View ronaldwgipson's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up reply to SH100

You can still find belts for the SH100 at:

dewaltservicenet.com

part number is 5140057-80

This belt will also work for the older Delta Model 43-505

It is a pleasure to see that someone else uses this machine and is happy with it. I have a small shop room as well as two large rooms that have shapers, planers and drum sanders, but this machine is great for small jobs that I do not feel like setting up a shaper or router table.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronaldwgipson For This Useful Post:
vegasguitars (01-29-2011)
post #3 of 8 Old 01-20-2010, 04:53 PM

View mics_54's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care much for the aluminum top leaving marks all of the material. I've used a secondary top previously but it kind of makes the split fence less versatile.

You could always get a speed control but 12000 is ok for heads with 3 1/2 inch dia. according to MLCS.

The height adjustment is inherently sloppy and requires additional set up steps.

Overall a decent value and portability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM

View rubicon's Photo Album My Photos
New one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Ferstler View Post
This unit is discontinued, but it might be available used or even may still be in stock in some Lowe’s stores here and there.

I have been using hand routers for some time, but I did decide that an inverted table-type unit would be handy. There are plenty of table bases available out there, and they will handle any plunge-type router you might care to install. This Delta SH100 device is different, in that the motor is built in. Unpack the thing, do a bit of assembly work, and it is ready to go.

It does have some downside issues, however. First, a while back I contacted Delta to get a spare drive belt and was informed that it, like the unit itself, was no longer available. That kind of soured me on the whole thing until I thought things through and went to a vacuum cleaner repair shop and sized a belt that would work. It did take two tries, however, because the stock belt does not stretch and fits snugly, whereas a cleaner belt is designed to stretch and you have to get one that stretches fairly tight over the shaper’s spindle and motor shaft. If it does not, the high 12,500 rpm spindle speed will cause the belt to lift off and lose traction. With the right tension the cleaner belt works just fine, and now I am storing the stock belt as a backup.

The motor, as noted, is a fixed-speed unit and that might cause some problems with certain bit sizes. It is an 9-amp (single phase) 120-volt induction job, at least, and it has never bogged down even slightly during some of my projects. The vertical movement adjustment had been a bit stiff, but over time it seems to have loosened up a tad. Opening the lower chamber area up and doing some lubricating work did not hurt.

The range of vertical adjustment for the spindle is 2 3/8 inches and the collet size is ½ inch. (A ¼-inch adaptor was also supplied.) Two specialized wrenches were supplied to facilitate easy removal of bits. The unit also comes with two different sized fitted inserts and the insert opening is 3.75 inches. The cutouts in the inserts themselves might be a bit too small for some bit sizes, but it would be easy to make additional inserts out of wood. The cast-aluminum table is 22 inches wide, 26 inches long, and the shaper assembly sits 15.5 inches high and weighs 53 pounds.

The table itself seemed a little small to me and Delta did offer a wooden expansion section that fitted around the exterior. Even when available the expansion piece seemed a bit costly, so I built one of my own, and also modified the dust-collection fitting to accommodate the dust-blocking fence I installed on the back. The flange on the aluminum table edge allowed the ¾-inch wooden surround to be dropped into position nicely, and then all that was needed were some cleats screwed in underneath to keep it from lifting. It also came with a fully adjustable, split-guide fence, but I also built a solid-guide fence, as well as an outboard fence that can be locked down in place of the stock fence assembly to let you do dados and the like. As you can see in the photo, I also mounted the thing on a mobile stand that had once been a TV stand. A good grey paint job made the stand look more utilitarian.

This is not an upscale tool of its kind, but it works well enough and would be a good buy at a low price. I paid $230 for it new at Lowe’s a few years back and used versions should certainly be available for considerably less money. I wish the motor had variable speeds, but the existing fixed speed works well enough for most routing projects.

Howard Ferstler
I have the same unit never used and looking to get 200 for it. If interested email me @ [email protected]
post #5 of 8 Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM

View vegasguitars's Photo Album My Photos
Delta router shaper . . .

Really enjoyed your review and built a similar table for mine. Just one question: what specifically was the cleaner belt you found worked for this machine? Please let me know.

Thanks much, Neil Smith
post #6 of 8 Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

View Howard Ferstler's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, Neil,

I wish I could remember. The number is on the belt, but the belt is now installed and right now removing the top to get a look at it is not an option. I know I have it written down somewhere, but where that somewhere is remains a mystery at this time.

As I noted originally, when I went to the cleaner shop I took the original belt with me and at first selected a vacuum belt of roughly the same circumference. However, unlike the original belt, which does not stretch much at all, the cleaner belt did stretch and when I installed it it expanded out and basically floated above the spindle and would not turn it. (At least it did not fly off and twist around the innards.) I brought it back to the shop and selected one a few sizes smaller. The new version had to be stretched over the spindles, but it did not stretch tight enough to look like it would be a problem, and so it did work just fine. I have been using it now for months and it is holding up and the table seems to be having no problems. I suggest just doing experimentation as I did (hopefully with the cooperation of an accommodating clerk at the belt supply place), and discovering just what will work. The happy thing is that one CAN find a replacement belt, thanks to the vacuum cleaner industry.

Howard Ferstler
post #7 of 8 Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM

View Todd_207's Photo Album My Photos
Howard,
Thanks for all the info and the photo of your "tricked out" shapper. I am a newbe to this site and just bought the Delta 43-505 used for $10! It is not working right now (switch torn apart by previous owner in an attempt to fix it) but I will get it up and running. For $10 I could not pass it up. I will build a expanded top like yours and a fence since one was not included but the factory one is not to hot anyhow so I do not see this as a big issue. Thanks again.

Todd
post #8 of 8 Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 PM

View Todd_207's Photo Album My Photos
Just a follow up, I disasembled the switch, reasembled the contacts and it fired right up. The other postings were corrent. This unit I bought for $10 was really banged around, I ended up having to shim the front of the table with washers since it was so far out of square. The adjustment nuts in the rear of the table are a joke anyway, that might fly for minor adjustment but this was far past minor. The motor is now square to the table but still over to far to the left so the insert will hit the collet nut. I will have to pull the table back off and see if there are any slots to adjust the entire motor assembly over to the right but I doubt it. For what I paid I will just file out the oppening with a die grinder and call it a day. It is a pretty low end unit for a Delta but the price was right. I would not really recomend this unit.

Todd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode