Buying first Table Saw - Would like opinion - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

View Olorin's Photo Album My Photos
Buying first Table Saw - Would like opinion

Hi All,

I'm new to woodworking and finally have my own shop and I've started stocking it with tools to begin my woodworking journey.

At this time, I don't have the expendable budget on this new hobby to justify hundreds of dollars on a table saw, nor do I live in an area where great older saws often come up for sale. So, my options are typically the fairly cheap table top saws (Mastercraft, King, Craftsmen) are available for around $50-100.

However, I cam across this saw locally. The seller is asking $200, but I'm confident I could negotiate down to $150. The idea of a contractor saw rather than a table top one is much more appealing. But I also don't want to buy junk.

Does anyone have any experience with Craftsmen contractor style saws? From what I can tell, this unit is a Craftsmen 315 series model. I've attached a picture to show the saw.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That should be a good saw for $150. It has an upgraded fence and looks like someone has added a router table mount on the left side. I have never seen any like the "feet" under the saw, but it looks like it is a moveable setup which is good.

Just ask the owner to let you plug it in and see if it is running properly. Does he have all of the manuals?

George
post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

View Olorin's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, George.

I'll be going to look at the saw tomorrow evening. Hoping everything works out so I can start working on projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Also ask about other "accessories" .....

There may be extra blades, or dado sets IF the owner is getting out of woodworking, or if this is an estate sale. Ask why they are selling in a "curious" manner. Maybe they are upgrading and will hang onto the accessories ..... it may be worth asking about.

Looks like a good saw for the money IF it is NOT flex shaft drive. Beware of the flex shaft drive saws, since replacement drives are expensive and a conversion to belt drive is all but impossible.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 16 Old 01-09-2019, 02:12 AM
Interested Observer

View subroc's Photo Album My Photos
That would be a good buy for $150. I believe those 315 saws have a 1-1/2 HP motor. A nice fence and rail system as well. I picked one up a few years back for a real good deal. It was advertised as needing repair. It had a loose pulley. I pulled the router table extension off, put it on my saw and sold the rest of it for more than I paid for it. The router table extension is a great feature. You can still find the plastic insets for those table extensions on ebay.

Nice saw. Good luck with it.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 PM

View kroll524's Photo Album My Photos
What makes a saw good is starting with a good blade,there are blades for cross cutting and blades for ripping.Measure both ends of your fence to make sure its square I bet it cut like one of those cabinet saws.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Blades are important for sure, but .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroll524 View Post
What makes a saw good is starting with a good blade,there are blades for cross cutting and blades for ripping.Measure both ends of your fence to make sure its square I bet it cut like one of those cabinet saws.

The fence is the heart of a table saw, not the blade, not the motor. Why? It's the one accessory you constantly adjust and reset to make different width cuts. It must lock down accurately/parallel to the miter slots each and every time you move it OR you will be frustrated with the entire saw. Measuring twice each time you move the fence to make certain it is parallel to the blade/miter slot will get tedious and tiresome. The Biesemeyer and it's clones have pretty much solved this issue. They lock entirely on the front rail, there is no rear rail lock like some of the older Emerson/Craftsman saws ......

Changing out the blade for a rip on hardwood to a 24 tooth blade is a bit time consuming, but it will make better and faster cuts. The 60 tooth blade will work on plywood and crosscuts. A general purpose 40 or 50 tooth blade can do almost all you cuts IF your budget is limited OR you just don't want to change out the blade.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #8 of 16 Old 01-15-2020, 11:08 PM

View kklowell's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to kklowell
So,I'm curious, Olorin... did you look at the saw? Did you buy it?

My wife says I never finish anyth

Ken
post #9 of 16 Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Generally I recommend staying away from these "consumer" type machines.

I'd be pretty confident that saw has a direct drive motor which is not really ideal. They also don't have a trunnion, but rather a stamped steel motor mounting system that is not ideal either. That said, its a usable machine, but won't take you very far in your ww'ing journey. If you do buy it use a thin kerf blade and be aware of its power limitations regarding dados, ripping hard lumber, etc.

If you haven't yet bought one, here are 5 recommendations I think are important:

1. Induction motor 1 1/2HP minimum.
2. Cast iron top and wings.
3. Cast iron trunnion
4. Trunnion mounted directly to top
5. Beismeyer type fence

I am of the belief that low powered saws with unreliable fences are more dangerous to operate.

Robert
post #10 of 16 Old 01-17-2020, 05:24 PM

View kroll524's Photo Album My Photos
If he was closer I have a Unisaw with sliding attachment FS @ 1000.00 but he is starting out so he has to make the most of his investment. I started out with the Craftsman which was belt drive,good point Dr Robert. There are Craftsman saws on CL all the time.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-17-2020, 05:50 PM
Grampy

View Gramoy's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Hi All,

I'm new to woodworking and finally have my own shop and I've started stocking it with tools to begin my woodworking journey.

At this time, I don't have the expendable budget on this new hobby to justify hundreds of dollars on a table saw, nor do I live in an area where great older saws often come up for sale. So, my options are typically the fairly cheap table top saws (Mastercraft, King, Craftsmen) are available for around $50-100.

However, I cam across this saw locally. The seller is asking $200, but I'm confident I could negotiate down to $150. The idea of a contractor saw rather than a table top one is much more appealing. But I also don't want to buy junk.

Does anyone have any experience with Craftsmen contractor style saws? From what I can tell, this unit is a Craftsmen 315 series model. I've attached a picture to show the saw.

Thanks in advance.
I've had a Craftsman table saw for years. It has given plenty of good service..It is no Unisaw, but it is a good tool..

With that upgraded fence (shown in the picture) it is a bargain @ $200, even better @ $150.. You will not find anything new for those $$ that is 1/2 as good...

Good Luck

Last edited by Gramoy; 01-17-2020 at 05:51 PM. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 16 Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 PM

View redeared's Photo Album My Photos
I would buy it for $200, if it works.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 05:09 AM

View SteveKoz's Photo Album My Photos
Did the saw originally come with that fence or can they be added on aftermarket? I have an old or very old Craftsman 10" and would love to upgrade the fence. Would love to upgrade the entire saw but she's still working and don't know what I would replace her with.. Maybe a facelift new rip fence will get a few more years out of her...
post #14 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
That fence was an upgrade. I do not think it is available new anymore. You might find one used.

There are probably other new fences out there that would fit your saw.

George
post #15 of 16 Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveKoz View Post
Did the saw originally come with that fence or can they be added on aftermarket? I have an old or very old Craftsman 10" and would love to upgrade the fence. Would love to upgrade the entire saw but she's still working and don't know what I would replace her with.. Maybe a facelift new rip fence will get a few more years out of her...
A new good fence will run you around $300, if you are lucky you may find a used one but often a good fence is saved and put on any used upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W200...qid=1579374658

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com
post #16 of 16 Old 01-19-2020, 05:32 PM

View SteveKoz's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post

A new good fence will run you around $300, if you are lucky you may find a used one but often a good fence is saved and put on any used upgrade.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-W200...qid=1579374658

Thank you. This fence is 42" long. My current craftsman fence is 31" and has the angle iron rails on both ends of the table. Do fences like this use 2 rails? Is the fence adjustable to fit on narrower tables? 11" seems like a big overhang.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode